whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20150308_190307 (2).jpg

I cut some wide shelving boards today from this Ash that I cut on my mill. 18 inches by maybe 8 1/2 feet or so. I have plenty of this stuff so I figured I might as well start using it. It will be used in some things I'm building for my house after it's renovated (which you can probably see the havoc of in the background...but we're getting there).

Jeff, if u post pics of the beach there must be girls! It's a clearly written rule!

Jus a we lil elm 50" x 10' butt log
aee85450563ad1624be9034e091838b2.jpg

43 degrees and sunny here today. Sure was nice. I was in short sleeves for a bit.
Finished the water line clearing today. Got to head north to Cleveland tomorrow for the gas company to remove "bat" trees. Hopefully another beautiful day.

A bat tree is a tree that is favorable for migrating Indiana bats to roost in. Rough or loose bark open cavities or lots of deadwood. We have to remove them before the bats migration pattern hits our area. We got till the end of March to do about 100 removals for the gas company. Most need to be just put on the ground but the 30 my crew has are complete clean-up as they are within the city. Large cottenweed, willow, shagbark hickory are a few of the types of trees. When it gets to the rural ROW's I think the people deciding which trees are bat trees just walk the lines and get high all day. They'll mark one tree and not another of the same species closer to the pipeline. Anyhow I think it's a money thing some do gooder thought up. Kinda PITA but I'm on unlimited OT till the end of March

A bat tree is a tree that is favorable for migrating Indiana bats to roost in. Rough or loose bark open cavities or lots of deadwood. We have to remove them before the bats migration pattern hits our area. We got till the end of March to do about 100 removals for the gas company. Most need to be just put on the ground but the 30 my crew has are complete clean-up as they are within the city. Large cottenweed, willow, shagbark hickory are a few of the types of trees. When it gets to the rural ROW's I think the people deciding which trees are bat trees just walk the lines and get high all day. They'll mark one tree and not another of the same species closer to the pipeline. Anyhow I think it's a money thing some do gooder thought up. Kinda PITA but I'm on unlimited OT till the end of March

That's interesting because the literature I'm seeing and being given by the company we mainly contract with is requiring us to avoid those trees and preserve the habitat for the bats with the full enforcement of the state DNR behind it. I live in Iowa btw. I have no explanation for the difference.

These trees are within the utility ROW. They will be using the full extent of the ROW for the replacement project. We take the trees down prior to migration so they'll roost somewhere else. We do have some type of turtle in our area that'll stop a job until it sees fit to move on. I'll see if I can get the paperwork for the Indiana bat regulations in my area. I know things vary a lot from state to state

View attachment 410075

I cut some wide shelving boards today from this Ash that I cut on my mill. 18 inches by maybe 8 1/2 feet or so. I have plenty of this stuff so I figured I might as well start using it. It will be used in some things I'm building for my house after it's renovated (which you can probably see the havoc of in the background...but we're getting there).

What brand of mill do you use? I really want to get one. A guy told me I would have to get a kiln and some more stuff...started talking $75,000 investment minimum. Is that true?

Those new husky saws are nice to buck down trees since they are so light but they have a mind of their own sometimes, same with the newer top handle ones.

That would have been a nice job for a bucket.
It would have been nice, especially for the side by the wires...but it would have created its own headaches too. That would have also made another guy almost a requirement...both of which drives up the price.

It would have been nice, especially for the side by the wires...but it would have created its own headaches too. That would have also made another guy almost a requirement...both of which drives up the price.

Must've been a lot of up and down without a bucket. Looks like a good tree for some old school roping skills either way though. Nice work.

Latest posts

Back