Whast going on with these Pin Oaks??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Guys, And yes there is a grip load of Oaks in our area that have the tips dieing like this. I just had a client ask why and I new you guys could help.

Kermes Oak Scale & Tip Dieback

I've done a good bit of research the past few weeks on this matter. After speaking with Kansas State as well as several other local certified Arborists the conclusion is:

2 issues have been commonly found.

1. Kermes Oak Scale: Affects primarily pin oak and occasionally bur oak. Terminal growth can be killed outright or the union between terminal growth may be weakend.

2. Tip Dieback: Botryospahaera - Twig dieback can be caused by a fungal disease called Botryosphaera canker. Treees affected exhibit wilting or "flagging" of twigs or small branches throughout the tree. fully developed leaves n the twigs initally bend back towards the twig and then turn brown. The dieback extends 4-6" down the twig and the dead leaves remain attached. The dead twig turns black and may develop cracks. The margin between healthy and diseased bark tissue is relatively sharp. In order to see this take a knife and carefully scrape away the outer bark tissue. Botryoshaeria canker is a sporadic disease on oaks.

I also initially suspected this damage to be that of the twig pruner or twig girdler. Following a good inspection of the trees i think you'll find it to be one or a combination of the both of the above issues.

Don't think cicadas could cause this type of damage.

Latest posts

Back