What 2 cycle oil would you use in a pinch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TC...TC-W, or TC-WIII; Yes, you're right, Ben. Thanks for correcting my mistake.

Actually, if the oil just said TC on the label, I'd probably pass. I think that's the oldest, least restrictive spec. Without any spec at all, it might be good oil, but I'd suspect that the bottler hadn't taken the effort to get it tested for a reason besides cost (somewhere I've read 75 grand per batch/formulation) and was perhaps a little "too hungry" and maybe willing to slide on quality control. Many labels clearly state that their product will be supported by the oem's warranty program...but you know that the major names will not be pulling down their shingle to avoid problems caused by trying to slip something by....

The one that says "Two Cycle Oil" on the bottle, of course.

One or two batches of that stuff won't make a bit of difference. If you are scared, mix it a bit thicker. I mix closer to 40:1 anyway since my 066 does a lot of milling time, but use the gas in everything...even my 4 stroke mower. I mix it before it gets home, that way if it is in a red jug, I can use it in anything.

Mark

The stihl manual says something like "use our quality oil at 50:1, use anyone else's quality oil at 25:1"

I only use castrol super 2 stroke oil i can not be bothered paying through the nose for branded oils from stihl(this is castrol oil anyway) or any other manufacturer

In general OEM oils are not any higher in quality than a major brand air cooled two cycle oil. If the oils carries a Jaso FC and ISO EGD raeing its good stuff.
The only advantage I have seen to OEM oils is the ability to lighten your wallet faster and the fact that they have fuel stabalisers added to them while most non OEM oils do not. This latter fact is of some use if you dont run the saw very often.

I buy my mix by the 5 gallon pale. So I don't need a substitute. I have been told my a number of different people that Stihl, Husky and Bailey's mix is made by the same company.

sawn_penn said:
The stihl manual says something like "use our quality oil at 50:1, use anyone else's quality oil at 25:1"

They say that so that it stinks to use it if you didn't buy their oil. Lawn Boy does the same thing. 1/2 of that statement didn't exist on my old Lawn Boy, so I mixed it at the double rate. No mosquitos in my yard. I quickly cut the mix in half.

Mark

Latest posts

Back