What 50 cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your concern with the auto tune is unwarranted. The coil has a lifetime warranty or up to seven years after the last year that model was produced. So if you have a coil failure - it's free. If there are only newer coils available that don't match your carb - then the carb is replaced under warranty also! At most, the only thing you may have to pay for is the carb when out of warranty, the coil will always be covered. I think the last I saw the carb came with the autotune on it and it was in the vicinity of $70-90, which is less expensive than some conventional carbs out there. You worry for nothing my friend.

They have been developing the autotune at least since 2005 (pre production 575xpAT tested), likely longer, so I don't see any reason to worry about it. That test resulted in the 576xpAT.

The one on the 560 and 550 family saws have the second generation production ones.

Yeah if you think the Farm Boss is the best choice in the 50cc class you must be a poser. It always cracks me up when stihl fanb0is say "my farm boss is the best" :D

Oh, here my crew is "posing" next to a oak that is about 5+ feet in diameter.

262863d1353256186-69729_10151082453126150_1546173629_n-jpg

Sorry never once said that the 290 was the best 50cc class in it's size, but it is a very capable, durable saw that will work great for about 90% of the people on AS for their firewood duties. What does your so called 5' diameter oak pic prove...do u want a thatta boy good job you cut that with a husky and a stihl or dolmar couldn't have done it. You picture doesn't give any representation of why your pimpin the 550. Like I say, use all the 50cc saws u want, but what I do I don't personally have any use for any of them regardless of model or brand. Not saying that won't change when I get older, but as of right now I really don't have a use for a 50cc saw.

Last edited:
Lots of fun here, and this thread hasn't gone as sideways as some 346/261 threads.

Brad, I guess my tongue-in-cheek reference to ST didn't translate so well. I prefer the way the 346 feels, and the 261 does weigh more, but "handling is definitely in the hands of the holder."

I see parts pricing like this:

Stihl = MB money
Husky = Cadillac money
Dolmar = Chevrolet money

Doug, no offense meant.

Ya that is understandable. However, for me I can get stihl parts a lot cheaper than I can get any other because of my connections. If I have to buy a husky part or a stihl part from my local dealer it has always been apples to apples from what i've noticed.

Ya that is understandable. However, for me I can get stihl parts a lot cheaper than I can get any other because of my connections. If I have to buy a husky part or a stihl part from my local dealer it has always been apples to apples from what i've noticed.

Well, explain why the exact same sprocket rims cost 3-4 times more when bought from a Stihl dealer then, compared to a Husky dealer - just because they are Stihl and not Oregon branded?

Well, explain why the exact same sprocket rims cost 3-4 times more when bought from a Stihl dealer then, compared to a Husky dealer - just because they are Stihl and not Oregon branded?

I guess I'm not sure what your relationship is with your dealer...but I get a pretty good deal on rim sprockets. I guess to be honest, I've been cutting on a chinese made bar that I got cheap, but i've cut over 50 cord of wood with it and it is still going strong. I have a brand new 20" stihl ES bar that will last a whole lot longer waiting in the wings, but I'm still hammering on this one. Consumables like rims...are a minuscule part of the equation when u cut as much as u do. A buddy of mine said we should buy a roll of chain...well I do cut quite a bit of wood a year, but I'm going to finish off a load of white birch with one chain (that i grind) that was 1/3 gone when i started on the pile. It is the same thing I always hear also about oil....why are u buying stihl ultra when u can buy X for a $2 less. Well to be honest I only burn about 3 gallons of gas when i go through a 12 cord load of wood of white birch (probably about 4 gallons when going through red oak). In the end, it isn't a lot of $ savings. In the last year I've cut and split about 37 cords of wood, but in the next year I'd like to be cutting about 50-75. The consumables like I say cost peanuts (rims, chains, oil, etc). I've cut over 50 cords on the same rim...so if a rim costs $2 or $11 it isn't a huge deal. Like I say to each their own.

Last edited:
Just bought a 3/8 - 8 large spline rim from a Stihl dealer last week and I was out the door under $9 up in Trafton

015.jpg

Last edited:

Just bought a 3/8 - 8 large spline rim from a Stihl dealer last week and I was out the door under $9 up in Trafton

Well, it should have been halv of that, but it isn't as bad as here, when bought from Stihl.

OREGON 68210 3/8-in SD7 7 Spline Power Mate Standard Rim Sprocket - List price 10.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OREGON-3-8-in-SD7-7-Spline-Power-Mate-Rim-Sprocket-68210-NEW-/390443520425

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA10Z0CA1893

http://www.amazon.com/OREGON-68210-Spline-Standard-Sprocket/dp/B00455Q028

Last edited:
Well, any relationship to any decent Stihl dealer is gone by now here, as they have gone the way of the Dodo bird....

Amazon must be in a dream world, they usually cost 4 and some change in the US. Here, they are cheaper when bought from a Husky dealer, than from the shops that relate directly to Oregon (usually hardware stores).

The last rim sprocket I bought was for my 550XP. $6.99+tax at my local Husqvarna dealer.

Amazon must be in a dream world, they usually cost 4 and some change in the US. Here, they are cheaper when bought from a Husky dealer, than from the shops that relate directly to Oregon (usually hardware stores).

The last rim sprocket I bought was for my 550XP. $6.99+tax at my local Husqvarna dealer.

Does the 550 take the small spline or large spline - I was quoting large spline rims

I thought they would $4 and change :jester:

Small spline. I think I paid $8.50 for the last 3/8 large spline I bought at the Stihl shop.

I'm a little bit confused, old friend. Many of our past disagreements related to cost versus value, where you've told me time and again that you have no problem with Husqvarna charging so much extra for saws in Canada and elsewhere, because it was well worth it in your opinion. Even if one payed double.

So paying hundreds of dollars more for a saw of similar type is acceptable, but an extra buck or two for parts is somehow the end of the world.

I don't get it. :msp_confused:

Easy answer to this argument-Get a used McCulloch Promac 10-10A, fixed up and tuned properly, it will start easy, cut like a banshee and last for 50 years+, oh, and you will save a ton of money over a new saw:rock::rock:

Yea but the money saved will be given back 10 times to your chiropractor and orthopedic surgeon when you need that charpal tunnel thing done.

Yeah if you think the Farm Boss is the best choice in the 50cc class you must be a poser. It always cracks me up when stihl fanb0is say "my farm boss is the best" :D

Oh, here my crew is "posing" next to a oak that is about 5+ feet in diameter.

262863d1353256186-69729_10151082453126150_1546173629_n-jpg

Not that I'm a tree expert or anything but that tree looks a lot like the maples in my yard.

That seems to be a constant drumbeat of yours and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it begs the question of how much this influences your opinion. You fail to ever mention that Stihl products and parts cost a premium over Husqvarna saws. That savings can buy the average person an extra tank of gas or take the wifey out for dinner.

Why not the Poulan PP5020? $200(or just under) for an awesome saw. Mine's rockin' the job just fine. I'm new to saws as well and was starting to think that if it wasn't Stihl, Echo, Husq, etc. and was a Craftsman, Poulan, Homelite, et al that it was junk. Thankfully, I found AS when looking for info on the PP5020....and am learning each day how vast my absence of knowledge on saws is.

Here's a review from ModifiedMark:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/192321.htm?highlight=5020

I'm a little bit confused, old friend. Many of our past disagreements related to cost versus value, where you've told me time and again that you have no problem with Husqvarna charging so much extra for saws in Canada and elsewhere, because it was well worth it in your opinion. Even if one payed double.

So paying hundreds of dollars more for a saw of similar type is acceptable, but an extra buck or two for parts is somehow the end of the world.

I don't get it. :msp_confused:

It just is an exemple regarding part cost - and you are right that I don't really care! :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back