What a plank!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A guy comes yesterday with this plank "can you split it in half" ? Wow, it's 4 inches thick 29 inches wide & 8 ft. long.
plank1.jpg
The first pic shows it laying on the bed of my mill, there's a 20 ft tape on it for scale - It just fit between the guides, I coulda' used some oil on it, it was that close.
plank2.jpg
Pic 2 shows it split in half, two 2x29's by 8 ft. long. Nice clear pine, it had that resin smell to it that is so common with older pine. Really tight growth rings too -

He mentioned table top - That'd be two table tops, or one pool table size one. I forgot to ask where it came from, this guy deals in all sorts of old used 'artifacts' Just after he leaves, I'm sawing some white pine for siding, I get this wicked rap sound from the drive wheel side. I found one of my pillow block bearings had 'bought the farm' , spun on the shaft too for I don't know how long & ate that up too. So, a few hours lost to repairs today. No big deal though, could have been something really $$$$$$$$$$$.

Back