what a wood stove is really made for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok either it's my eyes or there is something going on with that flue!!

Nice stove though!

I think it's mainly the angle the pic was taken at. At first glance it looks like it's kicked way off to the side but looking at the wallpaper borders and baseboard not lining up makes me think angles are wacky.

And to cooking with them, we have no stove but the kids will be having hot dogs in the fireplace after it burns down some to let them get close enough. :laugh:

We did about 2 weeks of cooking when I was a teen and the power was out from an ice storm. If I had the say so I would be looking for a nice insert that sticks out enough to cook on. The woodstove back then was a lifesaver.

That really sucks. I was thinking of making a barrel stove for my basement,and cutting registers in the floor. I could keep my basement dry and get better, even heat in the upstairs instead of one really hot room that is unusable when the wood stove is roaring.
My cousin who's a physicist has been heating his raised ranch since the 70's with a barrel stove!!

Yeah, that one knocked out my mom and dad's power for 13 days and my dad still refuses to put a wood burner in again. He has a wall mounted propane stove that heats his whole house and he can roast wieners with it so he is happy. However, I bought the 1st house west of him and first investment I made was a wood-burning insert that stuck out a bit so I could cook on it. Completely heats my house now and will continue if we have another power outage.
Our wood stove (Tempwood) heated us while the power was out yesterday afternoon. It also has a cast iron lid on it that I've cooked hamburgers on!:msp_biggrin:

ok either it's my eyes or there is something going on with that flue!!

Nice stove though!

LOL; yeah it's a little off I missed a lined it when it was put in and it has settled a little; it was put in I think in 91 when the house was built

Mac,

Our insurance agent did not seem the least bit concerned about our wood stove, they specialize in smaller rural properties, so I think it is normal for their customers to have wood heat. I would shop around if you are not happy with your insurance company. Of course if you are happy with them, disregard the above statement.

I cook breakfast in the morning, but have to do it early, or the wife will complain about it being too hot.

Dan

Barrel Stoves

My first stove in my shop was a barrel stove. Barrel stoves are ideal for a large area such as a shop building. I believe I've read that the BTU output on them can be around 100,000.

I did try adding another (double barrel kit) but it seemed to slow the draft down. I think they claimed the BTU would be around 165,000. Wound up removing the upper barrel and using the single barrel.

For an area that you don't mind taking up more room (lengthwise) than normal a barrel stove is economical.

Nosmo

That really sucks. I was thinking of making a barrel stove for my basement,and cutting registers in the floor. I could keep my basement dry and get better, even heat in the upstairs instead of one really hot room that is unusable when the wood stove is roaring.

If you do cut registers in your floor make sure you install the fire vent ones that close when exposed to high heat, else if you have a fire in the basement the vents will suck the smoke and the fire into the upstairs. I had one installed in my house, they are spendy but if they give me that extra minute or so to get me and my family out they are worth it.

As for the barrel stove the insurance company may frown upon it, check with your agent and your local building codes.
If you are looking for a fairly cheap EPA wood stove that has good support, I would suggest Englander Stove Works sold in Big Box stores as Englander and Summers Heat. Typically the large size model can be bought for around 700 if you buy it in the off season.

My first stove in my shop was a barrel stove. Barrel stoves are ideal for a large area such as a shop building. I believe I've read that the BTU output on them can be around 100,000.

I did try adding another (double barrel kit) but it seemed to slow the draft down. I think they claimed the BTU would be around 165,000. Wound up removing the upper barrel and using the single barrel.

For an area that you don't mind taking up more room (lengthwise) than normal a barrel stove is economical.

Nosmo

I can get mine to glow at night lol they are very hot little buggers. I heat my saw shop with one, no insulation and it sits outside. I made a heat box for the top and a few cold air vents, ran 6'' duct into my shop put a duct booster in the middle and i can get her up to 75 when its 10 deg out... my shop is a 15x20 building with a loft.

Latest posts

Back