What angles to set guide to?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docshank

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got a Granberg File and Joint guide in from Bailey's. The chains that I have are Stihl RS .325 x .050, Stihl RS and RSC .375 x .050, and the chain that came on the Jonsered 2171 which has "72" stamped on the drive links. What angles and tilts do you recommend for these chains? Thanks

docshank

I just got a Granberg File and Joint guide in from Bailey's. The chains that I have are Stihl RS .325 x .050, Stihl RS and RSC .375 x .050, and the chain that came on the Jonsered 2171 which has "72" stamped on the drive links. What angles and tilts do you recommend for these chains? Thanks

docshank

Docshank

Maybe I'm not reading your question right, but you need 2 different files for .325 and .375 chain.

Just from the hip, 30 deg angle with the file at a 10 deg tilt is a fair guess to start with, more on soft wood, less in frozen hard wood. Setting the file depth to maintain the orgianial 'hook' in the cutter.

I know I need different size files.

Yes, I'm aware I need different size files. 3/16 for Stihl RS .325 chain, 13/64 for Stihl RS .375 chain, and 7/32 for the .375 chain that came on my Jonsered (made by Oregon). I was just wondering about the different angles and tilts required of the three chains. Thanks

docshank

Do you have the documentation that came with the Stihl Chains? That usually tells you the angles & file sizes for various chains.

I've been experimenting with this lately - I use an Oregon file guide. From what I've found, most of the Stihl full chisel chains (I Use 3/8's pitch .050") are filed 30 degrees with a 3/16" file. The round top (Semi chisel) Orgeon chains that I use require a 35 degree angle. Having the documentation on the correct angles made all the difference in filing and getting them sharp.

Last edited:
The Stihl chains have the top angle lazer scribed, as well as the side angle you need to achieve (just compare it to your result side view).

No "tilt" on Stihl chains - just file flat.

No matter what anyone tells you, including Stihl, there is no "perfect" angle for all uses. For most work a top plate angle 25-30 will work fine - just keep them all the same and your cutters the same length.

Last edited:
Back