What are + and - of switching chain size?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Specifically on a MS362.

Brand new saw. Going from factory 3/8" .062 to 3/8" .050.

Here's the reason for the question. A friend of mine bought a new 362 from Randy and had him do his magic to it. I run 3/8" .050 chain on my Dolmar 7900 and 5105. I have a spool of 3/8" .050 Oregon Semi Chisel. I can make up chain for my buddy easily, so he had Randy switch the saw to .050.

Today he asked me what the good points and bad points of switching were and other than me having the spool, I couldn't answer his question.

What say you with more knowledge about chain than I have?

Thanks!

I don't think there's any plus or minus to just switching guage, other than what you've mentioned like the convenience of using chain you already have, or to fit a bar you may have, or local availability or price of one over the other, others may know more than me on the subject tho!

The .063 may be stonger and certainly carries more oil than the .050. However that is not likely to make much difference with the length bars that are run on a 362. Having the heavier chain makes a difference in the longers bars like 36" and up. Below that I run .050 and have not had any issue, even invery pitchy wood.

Latest posts

Back