What are the best chain saw chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, if the kevlar and stuff insert is too rough on the skin, I am thinking about lining the inside skin touching part with some bunny print flannel. Would that affect the power of the kevlar?

It's usually on the knees where the irritation is from the rubbing. But that's why I like the Madsen's jeans set up, they have a denim sleeve inside the pants, keeps the inserts from rubbing your knees raw.

I also tried the Labonville green fallers summer pants once. Those rubbed my knees raw big time. They were nice and cool though.

But I'll stick to the jeans.

Preach on Brother:rock: And Thank you

You guys can preach on. And when your in the emergency room trying stich you up, I will be the first to laugh at you and your ignorance.

roncoinc, when this NWO of Obamacare comes along, why do I want my health insurance premium to go to doctor visits for your idiotcracy because you have no common sense? Wearing a seat belt saves lives. Wearing safety glasses while using a grinder or wire wheel saves eyes. Wearing a prophylactic prevents idiots from being born. Wearing chaps or pants help prevent or limits bodily damage due to a moving chain.

To the orginal poster go with lybonvilles. American made! And well made to boot.

Labonville Safety Clothing & Accessories - Labonville Inc.

bob

It's usually on the knees where the irritation is from the rubbing. But that's why I like the Madsen's jeans set up, they have a denim sleeve inside the pants, keeps the inserts from rubbing your knees raw.

I also tried the Labonville green fallers summer pants once. Those rubbed my knees raw big time. They were nice and cool though.

But I'll stick to the jeans.

Since I really don't wish to go outside at this time, I took some photos. I'll make a different thread.
I just read the tag. The inserts are Labonville.

You guys can preach on. And when your in the emergency room trying stich you up, I will be the first to laugh at you and your ignorance.

roncoinc, when this NWO of Obamacare comes along, why do I want my health insurance premium to go to doctor visits for your idiotcracy because you have no common sense? Wearing a seat belt saves lives. Wearing safety glasses while using a grinder or wire wheel saves eyes. Wearing a prophylactic prevents idiots from being born. Wearing chaps or pants help prevent or limits bodily damage due to a moving chain.

To the orginal poster go with lybonvilles. American made! And well made to boot.

bob

Should hunters start wearing tactical gear like the SWAT team because he might get shot??

".............American made! And well made to boot.

Labonville Safety Clothing & Accessories - Labonville Inc............"

Well said, I support our vendors, who support us. To those who feel that some posters spoke 'like a mandate', most said, "should", not "you must", big difference. Yep, it's a free country, and a big "Thank You!" to those who served to keep it as such.

I wear safety equipment to provide personal protection, my choice. After selling my last motorcycle, that I had owned and ridden for over 40 years, I also sold my custom Langlitz leathers. They sold for well over 10 times what I paid for them in 1970, indicating that the value of good safety equipment is also a good investment. The best investment was in the safety provided when an incident occurred.

I will continue to wear my Labonville full wrap chaps whenever I"m using the saws, it's my choice for safety reasons and helps me to "think safety".

What is the shelf life of chaps? Not so sure I would buy used Kevlar. My friend's vest was defeated (20 y/o old kevlar) with a 40 coming out of a 44. Cutting action is different than stabbing or a round but still, kevlar breaks down. I would only buy new and then toss them after whatever time they recommend.

I wore a vest for 20 years. I hated every single moment of the actual wearing. You have to horse collar yourself to get ventilation. I also have 2 dead friends who were not wearing their vests. Situational work but nevertheless. I also have 2 friends who had nice big bruises from where the vest saved their lives. Then the other guy who's vest was defeated and the round lodged half in his chest. Bad kevlar is better than no kevlar. I'd prefer good...

Point being. Not everyone gets killed or injured but someone will and not every accident can be prevented but some of them can be. Let it be the next guy and not you. No matter how tough you are, every chainsaw is tougher than you...

Safety gear

I have purchased three pair of Labonville chaps in the last two years.
The first pair got a hole burned in the knee from a hot splitter muff.
The second pair, a replacement, went to my G.son when he bought a saw along with a brain bucket with muffs and visor.
The third pair was a replacement for pair one and two.
I lucked out on the 20% discount and saved more than the shipping.
I never used any safety gear for the last 30 years but now older and wiser i dont run a saw without my chaps and steel toe boots.
Could be I'm 77 and my balance is not what it used to be, not taking any chances. I hate ER's

FREDM, WUDPIRAT

(Always looking to score a load of free wood or a free chainsaw.)

Last edited:
Should hunters start wearing tactical gear like the SWAT team because he might get shot??

No.

Deer/duck/pheasant/bear/fox/rabbit/etc. don't shoot back and with just about any long-gun I could name, so long as you're holding it right, it's damn near impossible to shoot much more than your own foot (and I have no idea why you'd aim at your target while lying flat on your back). Unless you're hunting pheasant in Detroit (they're friggin' HUGE) or whatever the heck you can get a license for in Kabul, your slippery slope argument contains a fallacy.

A saw has between 12" and 72" of sharp knives going along at between 40 and 70mph. These knives do not care through what or where they go. They will mindlessly continue to chew so long as the throttle is depressed and that is easily a hazard to the operator's body.

I understand why you elect not to wear them specifically, but your brazen ambivalence to their use as intended is beginning to run against your own sig line.

I see the communist state of the union checked in to make sure nobody gets a chance to exercise thier free will or freedom of choice this country has fought many wars to protect.
i used to weak a flak jacket and steel helmet to insure the population of my country could continue to decide what they wanted to do and not have some commie TELL them !

Has anyone ever noticed a correlation between laws being enacted and segments of the population failing to exercise common sense?

What I take exception to is how a lack of responsibility by some negatively impacts my wallet.

And why do most states require hunters to wear blaze orange? Not to mention those hiking and walking in the woods during the spring and fall hunting seasons.

bob

..... when I'm logging/cutting for production, I always wear them, I feel naked without them. ......

Sam

I don't wear chaps but I do wear chainsaw pants and I'm looking over over my shoulder waiting for someone to give me a backhand if I go cutting without them like the old man would do if he caught me doing something wrong .

I'm yet to hear of a hunter, who shot at a deer, and his bullet did a 180 degree turn around in mid flight and hit the shooter. Practically all hunting "accidents" are human vs human as a mistaken target.

No, hunters don't need to wear SWAT team gear. But the really smart ones who want to limit their chainces of getting shot wear BRIGHT ORANGE clothing so that you limit your chances of getting popped in the head by some other fool mistakenly shooting at you.

And hunting mistakes are usually a HUMAN made the mistake shooting at the wrong thing.

Chainsaw mistakes aren't necessarily a HUMAN mistake, but just the laws of physics caused a kickback of which the physical forces happened too quickly for your brain to react to and your arm muscles just didn't have the strength to stop the rotating chain from embedding in your thigh..

And because chainsaws can injure us, at any time, because we simply can't react in a millisecond and flex our arms up to control the chainsaw, no matter how big or tough or experienced or manly we think we are, is the reason that it makes perfect sense to wear chaps.

Wearing seatbelts in a car isn't "commie". I, like most of us, think I'm a pretty good driver and I actually don't need a seatbelt. What I am protecting myself against is the strangers around me, who may make a mistake and not see me and crash into me. Or maybe I'll switch lanes and accidentally not see them. Or who knows when my time is up, but if I'm driving along and have a heart attack, I'd rather be strapped in and limit my injuries then have the heart attack and get thrown from the vehicle at the same time.

Enjoy your helmet-less motorcycle ride. I sure hope that Goodyear tire on your front wheel doesn't have an unexpected blow out. Brains can be sloppy to try to mop up.

The Labonville chaps are recommended by a lot of people because they are well made, effective, reasonably priced (in line with other brands), made in USA and the "full wraps" provide lower leg protection for the second area prone to chainsaw cuts. And also good briar protection.

I used to wear forestry pants but they are terribly hot here in middle Georgia (and worn out). I now wear the Labonville full wraps. And under those I wear a scar from before I discovered chaps are a really really smart idea.

I hit a deer on a motorcycle once and I was wearing full leathers and a helmet. Walked away from it. Killed the deer. I slid down the pavement 100 feet (per state police tape measure) and only had a little rug burn on my shoulder where the leather jacket, lining and shirt wore through. Protective gear if available may pay off. I wasn't expecting to hit anything as I am a conservative rider. just sayin.

bob

First off i would highly "suggest" not rant and TELL anybody PPE is well worth wearing and Labonville would be my choice.
Made right here in the " LIVE FREE OR DIE " state.
Bob,looks like somebody in your family tree forgot to wear "protection" LOL !!
What makes you think i have no common sense ??
My "diotcracy " ? what is that ??
btw: you already pay for my health care,it is %100 free to me..i earned it.
Then we get the same old "i dont want to have to pay for you" LOL !!
A home grown american that contributes to society and pays taxes should be made to pay for care if they dont wear protective gear and they get hurt.
BUT !! any illegal that makes it here gets to walk in and get health care without a question.
MAKE AMERICANS PAY MORE !!

" And when your in the emergency room trying stich you up, I will be the first to laugh at you and your ignorance. "

Thats just plain CRUEl man.. what makes you think i DONT wear PPE ??
It's a FREE country , a matter of personal choice should not be mandated by someone that dont agree with "your" choice..

We now bring you back to your regular program.. :)

Back