What are the odds!!!???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcinms

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I hate when this happens right before dark and in the middle of the job. I was cutting some nice red oak at a friends place and was about half way done with the log when I see sparks and feel some vibration. I figured there's now way a nail would be twenty foot up a tree. Too late now. Kept going. Saw cutting all crooked, lol.
Loaded all the rounds and looked at it the next day. Sure enough it was a nail, about 3" long. Five inches deep in the tree. Just nicked the edge of it. A half inch either way and I would have never known it was there until I split it :msp_tongue:

I don't recall hitting a nail that deep inside a tree before. Barbed wire, yes, but no nails so far. There were 23 rings on the outside of the nail head.

Oh well, got some good wood out of it and a chance to run my new 365xtorq. Fun times :rock:

View attachment 275371View attachment 275372View attachment 275373View attachment 275374View attachment 275375

Yup. Did that to a maple the other day. Only it was head hight. Nail got driven early, when the tree was young, then envelope by age and growth. Yours pobly was planted down low when it happened.

Yup. Did that to a maple the other day. Only it was head hight. Nail got driven early, when the tree was young, then envelope by age and growth. Yours pobly was planted down low when it happened.

I wouldn't think it worked like that. Most trees grow from the top. So where ever the nail was driven should be were it stayed as far as height goes. Ever seen a tree grow around barbed wire stranded fences? The fences stay at the same height, never growing up the tree trunk. :msp_wink:

What's good about a great straight log is when you get through cutting you get to bring out the splitting axes. :msp_w00t:
The X27 made quick work of the 30 inchers. That is two rounds stacked up.
Plenty orange in there. :msp_wink:
View attachment 275376View attachment 275377View attachment 275378View attachment 275379View attachment 275380

I've never tried to split wood that big without a splitter. That's amazing that an axe can bust that up. The red oak around here seems really stringy and is difficult to split. Nice. :rock:

I wouldn't think it worked like that. Most trees grow from the top. So where ever the nail was driven should be were it stayed as far as height goes. Ever seen a tree grow around barbed wire stranded fences? The fences stay at the same height, never growing up the tree trunk. :msp_wink:

Could have been a nail from an old deer stand? Never know

I ran into a strand of barb wire first cut on a fresh filed chain yesterday while I was cutting hedge posts. I was impressed......

Hmmm not sure then; I've seen some pretty stretched barbed wire on volunteer fence row trees

Could have been a nail from an old deer stand? Never know

I'm still trying to figure out why the 3" nail was there. Somewhere around 15', maybe 20' up. Don't think it was a tree stand, the tree was right on a main thoroughfare. 3" nail doesn't hold much as far as a tree stand or rifle rack goes. :msp_wink:

Yup, the red oak here, when it's straight like this one is, splits really nice. the Fiskars did a job on it. I want an X25 now....:hmm3grin2orange:

When I was about 8yrs old a storm blew down a boxelder in our backyard, helped dad cut it up, hit a horseshoe that was placed in crotch of tree, didnt cut through that one!

I hate when this happens right before dark and in the middle of the job. I was cutting some nice red oak at a friends place and was about half way done with the log when I see sparks and feel some vibration. I figured there's now way a nail would be twenty foot up a tree. Too late now. Kept going. Saw cutting all crooked, lol.
Loaded all the rounds and looked at it the next day. Sure enough it was a nail, about 3" long. Five inches deep in the tree. Just nicked the edge of it. A half inch either way and I would have never known it was there until I split it :msp_tongue:

I don't recall hitting a nail that deep inside a tree before. Barbed wire, yes, but no nails so far. There were 23 rings on the outside of the nail head.

Oh well, got some good wood out of it and a chance to run my new 365xtorq. Fun times :rock:
QUOTE]

So how did that beast of a 365XT run? Bet you were grinning like a fool.:hmm3grin2orange:

I took three trees down that I had to cut through each trunk that had fence in it. Sacrificed three chains to get-r-done as I had to grind the stumps as well. Owner covered the chains though as we knew it was going to happen.

I hit a nail way up in an ash tree at least 15' off the ground. this past spring, didn't see that coming:angry:

A few years back hit a nail like OP did in the middle of a cottonwood tree:msp_mad:

I took three trees down that I had to cut through each trunk that had fence in it. Sacrificed three chains to get-r-done as I had to grind the stumps as well. Owner covered the chains though as we knew it was going to happen.

I hit a nail way up in an ash tree at least 15' off the ground. this past spring, didn't see that coming:angry:

A few years back hit a nail like OP did in the middle of a cottonwood tree:msp_mad:

Owner covered the chains though
I like when that happens :rock:

hit a nail like OP did in the middle of a cottonwood tree

Not so much when that happens :msp_thumbdn:

I just left the same chain on to finish cutting that evening. I got some more filing to do on that chain Went back the next day and it's still cutting to one side..:(

Round tooth chipper chain works pretty good for being used in cutting through wire. I was still able to resharpen the chains to be ready to cut wire again if the need should arise.\:bang:

I did that several years ago. I cut a big Red Oak that died. I used to have a treestand in the tree for deer hunting. I pounded a 16d nail in the tree to hang my bow on. I knew it was there, but forgot. I ended up cutting directly on the nail lengthwise... basically grinding the entire nail away. One nail in a monster Oak.... and I hit it. :(

QUOTE]

So how did that beast of a 365XT run? Bet you were grinning like a fool.:hmm3grin2orange:

About like that big orange grinning fool .... :hmm3grin2orange:
Yup, nice saw for the money. One of my buds has a new 372XP x-torq. He has over $800 in it with a 24" guide, I have a good bit less than half that in mine with 18" and 24" guides. He likes the 365 too. :msp_thumbup:

The 61 will run the 24" bar fair, but for some reason I'm not running it as much ...:D

Back