What are the signs when a bar is worn out??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok guys thanks for the help will check it out!
seriously tell your friend to check the drivers with a micrometer and compare that against the bar size. if your bar is worn enough the next size up may fit, or seem to fit but in reality be too tight once it heats up while cutting. My friend did this on accident and in his case his saw would cut for about 5 or 10 minutes then the bar would get to hot, and the chain would stick in the bar groove.

Without reading other replys. I’d have to say my biggest clue as to when a guide bar is warn out is when it no longer does it’s job. AKA guiding the chain in a straight kerf.

Is there something I’m overlooking?

When my bars have cut a few hundred cords with 050 chain and then a few hundred cords with 058 and finally a few hundred cords with 063 I give each bar a proper burial including a little marker RIP. The only problem is after they rested awhile I grab them for the scrap metal pile. When they have run 063 chain for awhile and the chain can wiggle then I consider letting them go by the way of their ancestors. Thanks

Latest posts

Back