What are you charging for a cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't understand the "no stacking option" I can stack a cord of wood in a half hour, at $30 per cord that makes $60 an hour. Which, makes it the most money I earn hourly during any point in the firewood making process.

Plus I pick up customers that won't or can't stack it themselves

Some of us HATE stacking at any price. Me, id rather vote for obama again then stack firewood.(..ok id stack before obama but anything else...)

175 for mixed. All word of mouth, my stuff IS dry. No stacking offered....ever.

300 a cord close by, 325 within 15 miles, 350 15 to 25 miles, 25 miles plus= no thanks.
I start out with logs delivered to my house for about $161.33 per cord and can pay $59.83 for processing into 16 inch splits, per cord.
I also try and find cheaper sources of wood but generally for the quality professional loggers win. My folks pay a decent buck so dead elm or soft maple off a farm somewhere won't do me any favors long term.
My half ton sucks fuel pretty good with a full dump trailer.
Stacking? I'm a whore, I will do almost anything for 60 and hour cash and the excercise will do me even better.
Remember a cord of wood is equal to $400 worth of fuel oil.

300 a cord close by, 325 within 15 miles, 350 15 to 25 miles, 25 miles plus= no thanks.
I start out with logs delivered to my house for about $161.33 per cord and can pay $59.83 for processing into 16 inch splits, per cord.
I also try and find cheaper sources of wood but generally for the quality professional loggers win. My folks pay a decent buck so dead elm or soft maple off a farm somewhere won't do me any favors long term.
My half ton sucks fuel pretty good with a full dump trailer.
Stacking? I'm a whore, I will do almost anything for 60 and hour cash and the excercise will do me even better.
Remember a cord of wood is equal to $400 worth of fuel oil.

Dang good prices. Must be from that fuel oil. Around here, in the country it is propane, in town natgas. It must happen but I don't know anyone who burns fuel oil. New england when I lived up there it was common, but expensive then, bet it still is.

Wood is cheap around here, and too easy to get for anyone who really wants it. "Free" ads all the time on CL, and only half are joke ads (fell my hazard tree over my house, etc), half are decent legitmate come get this free wood on the ground ads. If I had to CL scrounge it would be easy around here.

And as the economy worsens, more and more people are "anything for a buck" and good or service you can think of, including selling wood..so the prices will stay the same or most likely drop in the future.

This is sorta what I mean..I went to town today, and *two* different people both commented to me how lucky they were to have even a *part time* job. I feel the same way. work 7 days a week, this is called part time, albeit I only work longish hours during haying, but still..part time work, glad to have it as the alternative would be...I don't wanna go there....bupkis joke pay, too. Not third world pay rates, but second world maybe.

So good for you guys who can get real money for your wood! Take advantage of it while it lasts!

The one food friend around me in eastern wi sells mixed hard wood for $200 cut dyed delivered.

$225 delivered within 10 mile radius. Dumped in the driveway, I don't stack...I hate it...and for all people want to pay for stacking...no way.

Sell by the truckload

Nobody seems to know what a cord of wood is. They know what a 1/2-ton pickup truck can carry.

So, I sell firewood by the truckload as shown in my avatar, racked up. My price is $120 a load these days--split, seasoned, delivered, and stacked. I also find out the customer's maximum log length, and believe me, that is important.

Just saying, Firewood is WORK no matter how it's processed. If you split wood small the way it should be ,and deliver clean dry wood , it takes time and labor . To deliver perfect 16" clean dry wood you have to handle it a lot. If you run out of wood your not charging enough ! If firewood dealers would ALL keep the price where it should be everyone would make more money with less wood. I have been in the firewood biz for 40 years now. I sell a lot of wood every week. I never run out of dry wood . By the way I kiln dry everything. Rhode Island price for kiln dried firewood is $ 375.00 per full cord.

Just saying, Firewood is WORK no matter how it's processed. If you split wood small the way it should be ,and deliver clean dry wood , it takes time and labor . To deliver perfect 16" clean dry wood you have to handle it a lot. If you run out of wood your not charging enough ! If firewood dealers would ALL keep the price where it should be everyone would make more money with less wood. I have been in the firewood biz for 40 years now. I sell a lot of wood every week. I never run out of dry wood . By the way I kiln dry everything. Rhode Island price for kiln dried firewood is $ 375.00 per full cord.
Do you have a picture of the kiln?

Started out at $180 for seasoned wood to a couple neighbors ( less than 1/4 mile round trip)in early Sept. Sold my last cord at $225 and the phone continues to ring. Lots of CL adds around here go from 165 up to 195, most around 180ish. Sold more green over the summer than ever before at $160. Sold a few loads of rounds...literally on the way home from jobsites for $100. Wish I could get a lot more of those!

Latest posts

Back