What are you using

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald A

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
to clean chain before sharpening? Using 511ax.
Currently I'm using oven cleaner and it is working great, however, it is really nasty to use. What are you'all using?

Wood.....

but then they need to be soaked in oil for at least a month.....

Last edited:
Wood....
What else, I have several chains that are covered with pine tar and it is not wearing off when making cuts, any other thoughts???

Nothing. Never felt the need, or had the patience, to clean chains before sharpening them. Maybe my grinder wheels don't last quite as long as they might with sparkly clean chains, but seriously, who cares? Grinder wheels are cheap.

Usually it's not a problem with dirty chains unless I do a flush cut that gets in the dirt.
The dirt can be pretty hard to get off a chain, so I take a coffee can with Simple Green and soak the chain. After a few days take the chain out, hit it with compressed air (the dirt comes right off) and throw it in another coffee can of clean oil.
Oven cleaner is nasty stuff. I do use it to degrease flywheel tapers, works great. Sparks plugs can get a second life also with oven cleaner.

I have found that wood chips and pitch on the chain don't considerably slow down an abrasive wheel made for grinding steel. :)

2nd the simple green!!! powerful stuff. If that's not readily available the dollar stores in this area have a product called awesome. I use that mostly, it works and its cheap!!

Have a customer with an old 025 that is a chemical engineer. His saw looks brand spankin new, and he said he uses windex on the bar and chain to remove the pitch??

Thought it was strange, but his saw is in showroom condition!

to clean chain before sharpening? Using 511ax.
Currently I'm using oven cleaner and it is working great, however, it is really nasty to use. What are you'all using?

Ultrasonic cleaner. I use one for my bicycle chain. Does a great job. You can pick up a new ultrasonic cleaner on EBay at a reasonable price.

Ultrasonic cleaner. I use one for my bicycle chain. Does a great job. You can pick up a new ultrasonic cleaner on EBay at a reasonable price.

I guess your bicycle is a Trek 5900? I have a 5200.....I think it is still hanging from the garage rafters......

I guess your bicycle is a Trek 5900? I have a 5200.....I think it is still hanging from the garage rafters......

I have two Giants - both carbon fiber. I usually get in 2500 miles a year mostly spring, summer and early fall.
Wood cutting is my other passion. At one time I had wanted a Trek 5900 however I like the fit of Giants compact frame much better. They are stiff, light and very fast.

Latest posts

Back