What brought ya'll here??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm, I thought, cool site! Within a half hour of joining I had the answers I needed and saw running and tuned again (thanks to Lakeside I believe)! Having both lots of practicle experience in a wide variety of things and a thirst for learning I decided to hang around a bit and have been annoying people ever since

Please keep annoying us.

Cheers

I wanted a definitive answer on what was the best all around saw and of course, everyone came to a unanimous decision......:jester: :jester:

Actually, I needed help on my first saw rebuild and Googled this site. I quite enjoy the posts and information, but I am still quite inadaquate when it comes to saw knowledge. I don't think I will ever know as much as some of the "Masters" who frequent this site. I really appreciate this site!

I do have 12 Jonsereds sitting on my shelf right now and my wife thinks I am nuts....So do my fellow teachers! They look at me strange when I e-mail them pics of the saws in action.

We have a fireplace at our new house (well, 2.33 years old), and my family and I love to have a fire on cold winter evenings. We have a pathetic little 14" Wen electric chainsaw that I used to be scared of, but I used it to cut some wood shortly after we moved here. I decided that wasn't going to "cut it" anymore, so I started to research chainsaws. Consumer Reports seemed to like the Stihl they tested, and my dad read somewhere on the internet that buying a used top shelf saw is often better than buying a new Poulan/Mac/Craftsman/whatever. The local saw shop sells Husky and Stihl, and they had some used saws that I looked at. I probably did some Googling which led me to this site, and then I posted and asked for advice (link). I went to the shop, ready to buy the 028WB, but the mechanic had blown it up while he was tuning it. I wound up buying a muffler-modded 026/20" from Lakeside53, which turned out to be an excellent decision. It's just about the perfect saw for me, and Andy was very helpful. I also like to get advice from all you experts.

How many here have even run a saw without automatic oilers?
I ran my grandfather's sad little McCulloch top handle once, and that has a manual oiler.

Say, is Stihl pronounced "steel" or "still"?

I swore I'd never have either oil or propane heat just because it's someone else you have to deal with and depend on every month....People swear both are better,but our house is 2400 square feet,and we have electric heat and a fireplace....I know it doesn't get as cold down here,but in the winter time,we have no problem keeping the house at 70 degrees.

Electric heat can be an expensive proposition up this way. The meter can just about spin itself off the side of the house!

What brought me specifically to AS was Scott and Steve at the cutting edge. Here I discovered that there are a whole lot of people with the saw disorder.

Saws as more than just another product category in the store can be blamed on my business partner dragging me to a local saw competition about 15 years ago. Looked like the kind of fun that I just had to get in on. We won a bunch of trophys and the buzz sort of faded out and we gave them to the local youth rec program who relabled them for kids' events.

Allthough the racing wore off, I still enjoyed cutting my 4 to 5 cords of wood each year. I enjoy the work, like the sound, and I like the smell of the wood chips combined with the exhaust. Good hardwood is very plentiful in my area and a fairly large % of people burn wood, at least as a supplement. That, combined with being a shop owner makes it easy to get into the hobby/collector mode.

Lately, I seem to be having more interest in some of the older saws. Probably because I see so much of the current stuff at the store. Since I cut for myself, as opposed to for a living, it's fun to run some of the older stuff now and then. ( By old I mean Jonsered 910, Stihl 041, ProMac 850, not the REAL old saws.)

The really wacked out part is that while I'm around equipment all day at the shop, I actually want to come home and work on my hobby saws. And it's tough this time of year, as the work days are long, especially with the amount of Exmark we are doing. But I have to get my oddball saws in shape for the GTG at the cutting edge next month!

Just about any heating option we have gives one trade off or another...I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to use anything besides electric heat in my case or not.But we also run the fireplace constantly through the winter and it makes a huge difference.No matter what,the power company seems to have you wrapped around their finger...
chair.gif

I have lived in the woods all my life so the smell of 2-cycle exhaust is a natural occurence. Besides I like the jokes!

Cool thread

I'm a woodworker, and I started getting an interest in woodturning last year.

When I asked around for what tools would be useful for a woodturner, the list always included a chainsaw. I gotta say that chainsaws freak me out. Gladly I found this place. It's been a steep learning curve for me, but this forum has been AWESOME!

NovaMan - I imagine you're right, and I hope to soon realize this myself. A large tree in a friend's yard came down this past winter and we need to remove it. I'll take pics if the opportunity arises.

Latest posts

Back