What burns good with Oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't grow in our neck of the woods. At least not naturally. Aka Osage Orange I beleive.

Where are you in the Berkshires? Nice to see another local here.

Actually I live in Hillsdale N.Y. On the Taconic range, I can see Great Barrinton Ma. out of my kitchen window, I do most everything there. Can O.O. grow in these parts?

Actually I live in Hillsdale N.Y. On the Taconic range, I can see Great Barrinton Ma. out of my kitchen window, I do most everything there. Can O.O. grow in these parts?

It grows in France... So you would think it could. That might be a good question for TomTrees!

Well, the black locust is still standing, so I'll have to wait and see if they actually do anything with it. That's alright though. I cut a full cord of red oak this morning, and in the process uncovered another Hickory that had been knocked over. There are 2 others that have been pushed up in a pile, and a 4th that I can get the truck to. None of them are huge. I don't think I'll have to split any of it, and the 4 of them might make enough for a full load. There's a fair amount of poplar out there, so I'll cut some of that in the spring. Hopefully I can get the hickory cut up and brought in one night this week after work. If not, I'll get it next weekend. After that, I'll probably just be cutting white oak as there are huge tree tops laying everywhere I look. Looks like I'll be plenty busy all winter long and even through next spring. By then I should be about out of places to stack it here at the house. I'll probably have to "take over" part of the yard for more storage :)

Back