what can be done wiht a 50cc saw in 3 hours?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weisyboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
spent this morning next door milling the biggest of teh swamp cypress logs.

arrived at 9am and left at 12 noon. spent a fair amount of time mucking around moving logs and mesuring as i need to scribe mesurements on my mill.

first i squared the log on 3 sides and ready for milling. i cut it to 12" wide as this is the biggest that will fit threw the thinnesser.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

half way there
attachment.php

saw pulling out nice curly shavings
attachment.php

attachment.php

hmm surely there is sompthing in that flitch.
attachment.php

all done
attachment.php

bit closer pic of the grain.
attachment.php

the ute loaded up.
attachment.php

stacked for drying with last weekends stash
attachment.php

what only 11.30 time for 2 more slabs.
attachment.php

grey gum shown with the 25" bar that i was using......its really a 60" bar:) ......

nice work. I have done an awful lot of milling with 50 to 60 cc saws. An awful lot with a 48cc 031 as well. Others will tell you it can't be done, your wasting your time etc. You and I are living proof that it can be done and its not a waste of time. Good job!

nice work. I have done an awful lot of milling with 50 to 60 cc saws. An awful lot with a 48cc 031 as well. Others will tell you it can't be done, your wasting your time etc. You and I are living proof that it can be done and its not a waste of time. Good job!

Waste of time? That's up to the individual.
That being said; Given enough time I can build a house with a Leatherman multi tool.:cheers:

Andy

well i can match the bloke down teh road running a 066.

i went to help him milla stack one day and we ended up with teh same amount of slabs at the end of the day.

and hed used almost twice the fuel i had.

well i can match the bloke down teh road running a 066.

Carl, that could be just because "the bloke down the road with the 066" doesn't know how to drive it to it's max ability. For a start, is he running the same chain profile as you? I'd bet if he loaned it to you - you would soon show him how its done.

Given everything else is the same a 6 HP saw should out mill a 3 HP but it won't necessarily be double the amount. Unless you have to carry the saw and mill a long way into the bus I also don't think he weight of the mill and saw make much of a difference. It's the weight of the slabs and timber that give me most of the aches and pains at the end of the day. Probably a bigger mill and saw just allow wider slabs to be cut and that's why it seems harder work.

All that aside I still like using my 50 cc saw and small mill and it provides the same overall level of satisfaction as my bigger mill.

whan millng with my 034 i can equal the 660.

the reason i only use the small saw is sometimes i have to walk up to 500m to logs. way to steep to et a vehicle in round here. and way to dense timber.

i have enough fun winchig the cut timber out on the sled let alone carrying a big saw and mill in.

and yes the weight of the saw usualy would no matter as it spends most of its time on the log not being carried around (under normal circamstances that is.

Latest posts

Back