What can you tell me about this saw,028 super? pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rprecision

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What can you tell me about this saw? :newbie:

It’s an 80’s era Stihl 028 wood boss 16", that’s really all I know.

I have heard some refer to some 028’s as supers, what makes them supers?

thanksgivingStihl009.jpg

thanksgivingStihl012.jpg

thanksgivingStihl011.jpg

thanksgivingStihl010.jpg

Thanks this a great site !

I have almost that exact saw, I think it's about an '85 or so. It's not an 028 super, those were the same saw with a bigger piston and cylinder, so more displacement. Yours is an 028AVEQ WB, 028 model, antivibration system, electronic ignition, quickstop chainbrake, and the WoodBoss thing was kind of a marketing thing. Later models like ours are 47cc, I think, and the supers were 52cc or so. 028s are maybe a little heavy by today's standards, but they're a great firewood saw, dead stupid reliable, and fairly bombproof. They still bring decent money at auction if they're in reasonable shape.

Yours looks really nice, even cleaner than mine, very few of them seem to have the lumberjack decal intact. Nice saw, enjoy it.

The super's used a 46mm piston and cylinder. The standard 028 used a 44mm P&C. And if I recall correctly, the earliest 028's used a 42mm P&C.

Your saw is a WoodBoss, not a WB. So it should have a 44mm piston/cylinder combo, the WB's (Like mine) have the 42mm p/c. It has a plastic tank which is great! Both lighter, and more durable. Still has the front chain tension-er, the latest Super models had the side adjust. Even though the gas and oil caps have a slot in them try and restrain yourself from using a scrench/screwdriver to twist them.

Now, a question(s) for you: have you run it? What are your thoughts?

Yeah, and welcome to AS!! :cheers:

Looks like it's barely been used! :clap:

You'd better get busy if you're ever going to have a chance of wearing it out. ;)

I have almost that exact saw, I think it's about an '85 or so. It's not an 028 super, those were the same saw with a bigger piston and cylinder, so more displacement. Yours is an 028AVEQ WB, 028 model, antivibration system, electronic ignition, quickstop chainbrake, and the WoodBoss thing was kind of a marketing thing. Later models like ours are 47cc, I think, and the supers were 52cc or so. 028s are maybe a little heavy by today's standards, but they're a great firewood saw, dead stupid reliable, and fairly bombproof. They still bring decent money at auction if they're in reasonable shape.

Yours looks really nice, even cleaner than mine, very few of them seem to have the lumberjack decal intact. Nice saw, enjoy it.

Wow, that's some info, thanks

My father purchased it new in 84-85 as best I can figure. He claims it was the early 90's, guess the 90's felt the same as the 80's :)

Between the two of us we have stacked on around 300 hours on the saw. She has been as loyal as one can get !

I am looking to upgrade and keep her as a spare. From what she feels like, I am guessing around 12.5 lbs ?

Thanks for all the info

Your saw is a WoodBoss, not a WB. So it should have a 44mm piston/cylinder combo, the WB's (Like mine) have the 42mm p/c. It has a plastic tank which is great! Both lighter, and more durable. Still has the front chain tension-er, the latest Super models had the side adjust. Even though the gas and oil caps have a slot in them try and restrain yourself from using a scrench/screwdriver to twist them.

Now, a question(s) for you: have you run it? What are your thoughts?

Yeah, and welcome to AS!! :cheers:

Yeah, I have been running it for about 15 years

A saw has always been just a saw. Now I am starting to see thier are better ways to skin the same cat. I am learning as much as I can before I upgrade

Wow, that's some info, thanks

My father purchased it new in 84-85 as best I can figure. He claims it was the early 90's, guess the 90's felt the same as the 80's :)

Between the two of us we have stacked on around 300 hours on the saw. She has been as loyal as one can get !

I am looking to upgrade and keep her as a spare. From what she feels like, I am guessing around 12.5 lbs ?

Thanks for all the info

I think SpaayDawg might be right, and there may be a difference between the WB and Woodboss models, but we have an older 028WB tagged one at work that has both EQ and AV, although the AV isn't on the tag. Its' also got the remains of the Woodboss lumberjack dude decal. It's a metal-tank one, but otherwise, I think it's the same as ours. Maybe I'll pull the jug someday and measure the bore.

As for weight, I think it's prolly closer to 15# with a 16" bar. Mine feels pretty chunky compared to an 026. On the other hand, it's much lighter than a Husky 385.

What can you tell me about this saw? :newbie:

It’s an 80’s era Stihl 028 wood boss 16", that’s really all I know.

I have heard some refer to some 028’s as supers, what makes them supers?

thanksgivingStihl009.jpg

thanksgivingStihl012.jpg

thanksgivingStihl011.jpg

thanksgivingStihl010.jpg

Thanks this a great site !

I love 028Av wood Boss Chainsaws to death! I really do. I've heard and read alot about the differences in just 028 WB and Super WB, The ones i have right now that i've torn apart to refurb measure either 44mm displacement or 46mm Displacement. With the Super WB being the larger 46MM Piston, read somewhere that just the 028 Super non WB might be larger piston such as 52mm?? I am curious now and will be researching this to educate myself.

Wood Boss

From what I have found out the older Wood Boss's had points set,up Yours has the electronic coil, no points.

I believe the later ones also had a Zama carb and "quickstop" was the chain brake model ,not all have that feature.
As to engine size all I Know for sure is that the "Super"is the largest and am not sure which used the "domed" piston.

The one I currentley have is a Plastic tank with points that I recentley put in an electronic coil ,rebuilt the carb and it still doesn't seem to run quite right. It does have 160lbs compression.
I guess I will take the tank off and check fuel and impulse line for cracks. Overall it seems to be a well made saw except for the "cheesey" choke setup.

I love 028Av wood Boss Chainsaws to death! I really do. I've heard and read alot about the differences in just 028 WB and Super WB, The ones i have right now that i've torn apart to refurb measure either 44mm displacement or 46mm Displacement. With the Super WB being the larger 46MM Piston, read somewhere that just the 028 Super non WB might be larger piston such as 52mm?? I am curious now and will be researching this to educate myself.

If it says Super on the tag, it originally came as 46mm bore. There was nothing bigger than that ever produced on an 028 that I have heard of. 52mm would be an 038 Magnum model. 038's were marketed as "Farm Boss" in 50mm (Super) versions, and maybe 48mm also.

I've learned allot about Stihl saws since i quoted the above paragrph and i've found that there are 44mm and 46 mm pistons only. If there are any bigger than 46mm?? It would be odd to me and my research. I'm more into learning how to tear down and fully restore all the new Stihl MS chainsaws now. Where for the past 15 years i was only tearing down and rebuilding 028, 031 and 032 model saws. I just bought a brandnew MS201T just to see how to take it apart and work on one for my tree frog buddys. Oh and getting really heavy into MS 362 saw repairs too.

Back