What caused this??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
attachment.php

Piston was really stuck in the cylinder..............What could have caused this ???

attachment.php

I have bought 4 saws that all looked like this in the past few months ...This piston is extremely scored ...Picture is pointing out the build up in the exhaust port....This saw is an 09 model with about 6 months use....

Last edited:
The discoloration of everything really makes me think there was a lot of water in the gas!

Look at the left side of the case, next to the rod...

It looks like it was ingesting a LOT of water...notice that the case is dry, not oily...like all of the lubrication has been washed out....

Hard to tell from the pics, but the outside of the saw looks cleaner than the inside.

Pressure washer?

Drain the fuel out of one of these saws into a clear jug and let it sit and see how it seperates, oil/gas/water. It really looks like bad gas Ultra!

Looks like an ethanol fit to me......looks like she was trying to burn a LOT of water with whatever was left of the fuel (just enough fuel to keep trying to run until it was ruined) I pulled 2 1/2 gal of straight water out of my boat tank last spring after it sat in my heated shop all winter. It was not there when I pulled the boat. No other way for the water to get there. This was straight gasoline not 2cyl mix. My $0.02 worth. Damn the ethanol!!! :cheers:

I'm going to go with bad gas. It looks like oxidation of some sort to me, to get inside like that it should need to go through the fuel system or carb. I suppose it could get in through exhaust too, but that takes us back to washing the saw.

There was a rental company here that was losing saws all the time and finally the dealer found out that they were pressure washing them with acid solution to degrease them. The saws always looked like new on the outside, but they were killing the motors internally. Now they just blow them off with an airgun.

Mr. HE:cool:

attachment.php

I have bought 4 saws that all looked like this in the past few months ...This piston is extremely scored ...Picture is pointing out the build up in the exhaust port....This saw is an 09 model with about 6 months use....

Ultra this pic seems to show a lot of buildup in the port but is that all buildup or just a thin layer of carbon and the rest I see just the difference between the exhaust gasket and the actual size of the port?

Ultra this pic seems to show a lot of buildup in the port but is that all buildup or just a thin layer of carbon and the rest I see just the difference between the exhaust gasket and the actual size of the port?

Left side of picture shows the most build up......The right side has less and bottom 1/2 " in from muffler .....You can kinda see where the buildup is starting .............I would say more like carbon when talking about buildup.....

Latest posts

Back