What caused this??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think all these guys are right when they say water ingestion...buying super unleaded doesn't guarantee that you'll get gas with no water in it.

I was told it was 13% eth and had water in the fuel when it came in to the dealer ........He said it was really screamin when they retuned it back 3 months ago......The last few I bought were warranty claims ...This one was not covered......

Last edited:
That saw looks like its being stored in a very humid area. Water and corrosion are building up in it while its sitting would be my guess...

That saw looks like its being stored in a very humid area. Water and corrosion are building up in it while its sitting would be my guess...

Look at the corrosion on the piston ring. It must have sat a pretty long time before he brought the saw in.

I am not familiar with your gas, but that is a bad scoring. Carbon is real grey, indicating probably a very high operating temperature. I think the saw got real hot for some reason.

Look at the corrosion on the piston ring. It must have sat a pretty long time before he brought the saw in.

I am not familiar with your gas, but that is a bad scoring. Carbon is real grey, indicating probably a very high operating temperature. I think the saw got real hot for some reason.

The saw was dropped off at the dealer the afternoon it happened ......Dealer said this was one of two saws from this owner dropped off and he was cutting till it died ...............

It sounds like the Aspen alkylate fuel really is needed in the US, but it may be a question of price - Mike Acres is the NA agent, so he will know more.

The saw was dropped off at the dealer the afternoon it happened ......Dealer said this was one of two saws from this owner dropped off and he was cutting till it died ...............

Doesn't take long when burning water and fuel fumes at 12,000rpm!!! This was an 09 model you said, I know people who leave saws in the back of the truck or on the skidder 24/7/365 for years and they don't look like that inside!!!! I'm tell'en ya that is a typical case of "Political Gas". Damn the ethanol!! I've seen a number of big late model outboards (175-250HP 2cyl) blown all to cat$hit because of this crap. If they want us to try and burn this in our cars that's one thing but they should have thought far enough ahead and allowed a supply of "Off Road" reg gas to be sold as well. (some states do but not Maine) To use in OPEs, standby generators, farm equipment, snow machines and marine use. Just like road diesel and off road diesel. Don't mean to rant but this notion that the elected officials have the slightest clue about the **** they make laws about is foolish. They don't and Ultra's saw shows me just that. Of course that is just my opinion but since they forced E10 down our throats here in Maine we have had a HUGE increase in 2 stroke problems just like what is pictured. The least is greatly shortened fuel delivery components the most is overheated /scored/toasted powerheads. It won't toast a 4 stroke like that just make them stop or run very poorly.

Doesn't take long when burning water and fuel fumes at 12,000rpm!!! This was an 09 model you said, I know people who leave saws in the back of the truck or on the skidder 24/7/365 for years and they don't look like that inside!!!! I'm tell'en ya that is a typical case of "Political Gas". Damn the ethanol!! I've seen a number of big late model outboards (175-250HP 2cyl) blown all to cat$hit because of this crap. If they want us to try and burn this in our cars that's one thing but they should have thought far enough ahead and allowed a supply of "Off Road" reg gas to be sold as well. (some states do but not Maine) To use in OPEs, standby generators, farm equipment, snow machines and marine use. Just like road diesel and off road diesel. Don't mean to rant but this notion that the elected officials have the slightest clue about the **** they make laws about is foolish. They don't and Ultra's saw shows me just that. Of course that is just my opinion but since they forced E10 down our throats here in Maine we have had a HUGE increase in 2 stroke problems just like what is pictured. The least is greatly shortened fuel delivery components the most is overheated /scored/toasted powerheads. It won't toast a 4 stroke like that just make them stop or run very poorly.

:agree2::agree2:

Thats what it looks like, too much water. In MN they want to go to E-20. Looks like I'll have to go an hour and a half east to West Michigan or an hour fifteen south to North Missouri to get some gas soon. :dizzy::mad:

Wow that thing is cooked. They don't have E-85 in Wisconsin do they? I wonder what it's going to look like when someone runs that stuff in a saw.

Strange color there. Bad/old gas would have been a much darker and brownish color. I thinking more the ethanol than the water. Shouldn't water leave it a little more glazed or shiny? (maybe it is, but not so much in the pics) What did the intake side of the piston look like?

I don't know about you other shops, but my customers are getting tired of hearing the ethanol in the gas speech. At some point, they are going to feel that the OEM's need to build equipment that can run on the same gas that their autos have no problem with. They don't understand the nature of the technology involved, or that the politicians who cooked up this giant scam gave zero consideration to the effect this crap would have on small engines.

I've been lucky so far, in that I've seen far more carb issues and just a few saw failures. But a carb replacement isn't that much easier on a customers' wallet. Most of them are $80 to $100. I've got a 7900 now with low hours and the carb is shot. (backordered too, so the guy's doubley pissed) Backpack blowers are mighty fussy also. The big Red Max's just aren't happy with 87 at all. They really demand the 89 or 91.

It's gonna get worse before it gets better.

Good job on the pics Steve; this is a good thread.

No, really, what's your opinion on ethanol ????:)

I can't wait till they start selling that crap on this side of the border, after hearing how happy you all are with it.:monkey:

I think all these guys are right when they say water ingestion...buying super unleaded doesn't guarantee that you'll get gas with no water in it.

Actually, it makes it more likely.

The Super is normally the slowest seller, and at some stations will sit in the tank for quite a while. If you are buying Super, do it at a high volume station that turns the stock over quickly.

WOW that is one toasted saw...if it wasn't for you guys talking this thread through I would think lean out, like I've been seeing on some 350s with a worn out intake clamp. Strange color that's for sure. Water in the fuel, huh. Well you guys know what your looking at, I'm just glad Ultra posted those pics. I'm looking at a learning experience for old Randy without all the pain and expense. :cheers:

Wow that thing is cooked. They don't have E-85 in Wisconsin do they? I wonder what it's going to look like when someone runs that stuff in a saw.

Strange color there. Bad/old gas would have been a much darker and brownish color. I thinking more the ethanol than the water. Shouldn't water leave it a little more glazed or shiny? (maybe it is, but not so much in the pics) What did the intake side of the piston look like?

I don't know about you other shops, but my customers are getting tired of hearing the ethanol in the gas speech. At some point, they are going to feel that the OEM's need to build equipment that can run on the same gas that their autos have no problem with. They don't understand the nature of the technology involved, or that the politicians who cooked up this giant scam gave zero consideration to the effect this crap would have on small engines.

I've been lucky so far, in that I've seen far more carb issues and just a few saw failures. But a carb replacement isn't that much easier on a customers' wallet. Most of them are $80 to $100. I've got a 7900 now with low hours and the carb is shot. (backordered too, so the guy's doubley pissed) Backpack blowers are mighty fussy also. The big Red Max's just aren't happy with 87 at all. They really demand the 89 or 91.

It's gonna get worse before it gets better.

Good job on the pics Steve; this is a good thread.

Bob we have E-85 here ,E-20,E-10 and non eth gas ............

Its sad to see this is what we have to look forward to..........

It was fresh gas and Husky XP oil..........It sure is going to suck now that saws are running hotter and than you have to ad the crappy gas to the mix...

Here in CA we have really crappy gas, I was buying the good stuff in Orygun, but now they have crappy gas. I switched to getting pre-mixed fuel in a can, it is expensive, but replcing melted fuel lines and carb parts is too, some vintage stuff is hard to find.

that scares me it is ugly I got water in a saw this past winter and it broke both my rings but it still didn't look like that but I run higher oil mix older saw and it gets real hot (caused a few fires with it)

Latest posts

Back