What Causes a Racked Bucket on a Loader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A. Stanton

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just bought a new tractor and I don't want to rack the bucket on it like the ones I've seen on other tractors. Attached is a pic. What causes this?

a big heavy thing attached to that hook in the middle of the bucket caused that.

Loks like they could have tried pushing something with the bucket curled foreward, or dropped something heavy on it.

That is usually caused by lifting with a chain that wraps over the top around to the bottom cutting edge. Then the operator lifts something too big and heavy and stalls the loader. Then the operator rolls the bucket back, lifting the too heavy load with the roll action of the bucket. Massive force is applied to the topedge of the bucket from the roll and lift action.

This is particularly effective at bending the bucket if the cutting edge is butted up against the object at the ground level, or if the operator has it in reverse yanking at the same time.

That looks like a Ford 4000 series tractor (maybe a 3930?) with the quick detach loader frame, carrying a material bucket? I'm an expert at bending those.

With the four tractors I have owned the first thing I do is reinforce the top edge of the bucket with square or heavy wall pipe. It just does not take much to bend up the thin metal they are made of.

I had a cat 950 that the bucket was bent like that from pushing trees and other things when we where too lazy to switch to the rake. the teeth on our rake was bent all over the place and had been welded back on many times too.

If you have a metal fab shop around, consider welding a divider in the center.
attachment.php

It will add some strength, and I would put a chain hook directly behind the divider for lifting/pulling, etc.

My bucket is way overbuilt, but I like it that way :grin: The uprights near the center of the loader and bucket are for putting an I beam into for hanging beef, etc. Chain hook broke off and I haven't replaced it yet, just wrap chain around the tines and go.

Back