What chaps to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rio_Grande

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been looking at chaps. Was dragging my feet till a good friend cut the crap out of his leg. I cant make any money like that. So I started looking at them and saw a few diffrent styles. Wrap around and pant style. What does everyone recomend?

any are better than none. I really like my Labonville 12 layer full wrap chaps. They are a little hot in the summer but not so bad when it gets cold. Be sure to order them plenty long. You should also get a helmet when you order chaps.

Labonville. I really like my full wraps. Comfortable and good protection.

I was recommended the Labonville full wraps which I got from site sponsor Bailey's who had the best price as well. Mine are comfortable to move in while clambering around on steep hillsides. It's money well spent.

I have both some Stihl homeowner zip on, and Labonville full wrap.

The Stihl are good in the heat with shorts as they are in effect a full nylon leg, but no Kevlar on the back of the calf.

The Labonville with the clips are great with jeans and flap less, but IMO not as good in the heat.

I bought Labonville full wraps. As it was said, watch the sizing, I'm 5'7" and got the shorts and they were too short. Ended up saving those for other people I might be cuttin' with that don't have any. Can't think of any bigger downer on a good day of wood making than having to haul someone to the hospital.

I like the jeans with the inserts for kevlar chappy leg parts. But everywhere doesn't accept them as being safe enough. They are more comfy for me to walk in.

They have snaps to snap the kevlar to.
View attachment 281442

Then you run it between a cloth strip and the jeans. This shows them inside out so you can see the strip. The jeans are rigging pants so have suspender buttons on them. You need those.
View attachment 281443

Because I am vertically challenged, I hemmed up the pads with duck tape. I also have regular chaps for working with organizations who do not accept the jeans as being safe enough.

Last edited:
For many years I used a pair of chaps made for/by Bailey's. I got them before I knew any better and ordered them too short. Realizing what I had done incorrectly based on information from this site, I picked up some Husqvarna chaps that are the correct length (they cover my instep). But, the way they are made (too much width at the top of the thigh), they ride around and tend to have too much separation between the legs and you end up with the inside of one or the other leg partially exposed.
My next step is to get the full wraps from Labonville.
Every time I think about skipping the chaps, I think about this possibly being the time I need them and they always go on.

Well looks like leblondville gets it. They are not much more than the others and made in the USA is a big plus for me. I think I will spend the extra few bucks and get the comp ones. Only concern I have is I have big calves, can't even wear cowboy boots anymore. Hope they wrap around without issue.

What cover or hard hat as it may be do you recommend?

I reckon they will. If you like I'll measure how large my pair can expand to tonight once I'm home (+8 hrs from this post).

As for hard hat I have a Husqvarna forestry set and I'm happy with it. I also have Youngstown Kevlar gloves from Baileys and the size i bought are a perfect fit for me..... So I find them very comfy and easy to wear for hours.

Any chaps that are UL listed are a good start - don't buy any that are not. Labonville is popular here on A.S.

Wrap chaps give protection to the backs of your calves, and more layers provide more protection, but are heavier and hotter. Whatever you buy, try wearing them with suspenders which makes them a lot more comfortable and wearable. If you aren't wearing them, they do no good for you in the truck.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/229848.htm

Philbert

Back