What did I just buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipjack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought an old McCulloch saw on E-bay but I have no idea what model it is. It bought it 'cause it looked big (has a 32" bar). Anybody know what it is?

Look's like you got a little project on yer hands... Good luck! Have fun! Hope your wife's more understanding than mine...

BTW... what's the hose clamps holdin' together?

Matt

Just noticed that Mr. Acres is on board tonight... he'd be the guy to tell you...

You have a great site over yonder, Mr. Acres... keep up the good fight! :)

Matt

Big old McCulloch

Howdy;If you turn the saw upside down,and look on the bottom of the stuffing box,you will fine some numbers stamped there.What are the numbers?Al

flipjack,
How much did you pay, if you don't mind saying? Also, ask what it is before you buy next time!

This might be a stab in the dark... but it looks sort of looks like the Super 797.

Matt

I only paid $25 bucks, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. My wife has no Idea what I'm up to. I'll just stick it in the garage with my other junk & tell her I bought it years ago.

;)

aaf_lol.gif

Originally posted by flipjack
My wife has no Idea what I'm up to. I'll just stick it in the garage with my other junk & tell her I bought it years ago.

;)

Ah, deception, the key to a good marriage! If you only paid $25, just be honest and tell her you want to tinker with it, unless you have tons of projects on the HD list.

Originally posted by rb_in_va
Ah, deception, the key to a good marriage! If you only paid $25, just be honest and tell her you want to tinker with it, unless you have tons of projects on the HD list.

Reminds me of the time my wife was looking around the garage and asked what 'that' saw was. I replied that it was my backup in case of trouble in the field. She bought it. Fortunately the 3rd saw happened to be in for service so she didn't see that one. There should be a law that wives are not to be allowed in the shop.

Harry K

Mine is still ticked about the Stump cutter in the garage so she stops looking as soon as she opens the door.
Moral: buy something big enough to cause a distraction so they do not notice a couple of smaller chain saws.:)

John,

The wives certainly have that magic number figured out with shoes! They're everywhere! Harder to "mix up" all the saws though. I'm trying to slowly build a little echo evl series collection and I find that:

"At times, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission"

I think pinkie originated that :blob2: ?

Flipjack,

could be a 740 or a 790 too... You potentially have quite a large (c.i.) saw on your hands. Mr. Smith is probably the most qualified to answer, however. So Flip, what's the numbers? I just got to know now. Don't leave us hanging...

Matt

Magic numbers:

Ha, as you see I have aquired 4 saws in my collection. My wife has fought me tooth and nail, so to speak. If 5 is the magic number then I'll have 6 shortly. Guess I'll be home free then. Thank God. Lewis.

Big boy's toys

To all;It has been said"the difference between men and boys,is not only the size,but the price of their toys".We,in the northern part of this continent,treat,for the most part,our ladies,like the queens they are all to us.It would only be proper latitude if they{and they do for the most part],cut use,a little slack on a very inexpensize hobby ,that we all seem to enjoy very much.This gent,with a $ 25.,so called"boat anchor",is into it very cheaply.While not a good working saw in todays light fast saws,this old veteran,if tuned properly,and used on large wood,will show some of "hotrods'of today where the bear s%%t in the woods.Al:D

Latest posts

Back