What did I just buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Al Smith:

Al, my wife may hassel me a little about the saws, she'll pitch a fit and ask me why I want them, since I don't use them for anything. She is more than a Queen, she's a Saint. She's come through a lot of hard times throughout her life and has always overcome hardships and landed on her feet. She watches the finances pretty close and does a great job of planning. She ribs me about the saw thing, but usually smiles and as long as I don't go overboard on spending too much or am willing to wait a bit on ordering parts, she usually gives me that look and smiles a bit. She knows it gives me something to do. Got an email from my friend today. Says he'll have the 2 saws here next friday. Also says that he drained the fluids and removed the bar and chains and wrapped them in garbage bags for the trip here. Says the gas tanks look a little grainy. Will have to see what they look like when I get them and see what it will take to clean them up inside. Haven't told my wife, he'll be here on friday, but she knows he has the saw for me. And then there were 6. OK, talk to you fellas later. My bed is calling me. Take care. Lewis.

Last edited:
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
If you feel THAT bad, find me a sprocket. ;)

I have put out a couple feelers I have in WI/MN... let you know if anything comes up.

Matt

McCulloch numbers

Here,in the pic. , are the numbers I was refering to.They are a bit hard to see,but if you look on the left side of the picture,on the bottom of the saw you will see 200 and under it 250.This is a McCulloch 250.What the rest of the numbers mean,I have not a clue.Mike Acres,is probably the man for that job,he has most likely forgotten more about McCulloch's,than I will ever know.

That saw looks like a super 44 or 440. It is really close looking to the 440 but the 440 doesn't have a muffler shroud like the one in your pic. :)

Well, I do bellieve we got us a mystery saw here.
I almost think of the 840 model when I look at that saw, but I think the 840 was gear driven not direct.

I have a old 630 Mac. It looks somewhat similar to that one. Its not in front of me,so I cant be too sure.....

Magical saw numbers

Here sits about half of the North Amercan countries of Can. and the USA,white knuckled with anticipation,awaiting the magical numbers,so we could solve this puzzle.Alas,we the willing have no numbers to make reference for this mystery saw,but if we did,the puzzle would be solved in a Mississippi second[that's fast].At the same time,the other half are looking for ole MB'sspur socket for his 090g.The question is,which will be first,the spur socket,or the numbers? al

The magical #'s

Just got the saw in the mail today. The only number I can find on the bottom are 66251 on the one side and 10 2349 on the other ?

Flipjack, If I'm correct the second set of numbers denote where the saw was built & the series run. The 10 Number denotes Series 10 run & the second set of numbers shows that it is a Canadian built saw denoting that it was built at site number 349 in February-- or #2349. It looks a little like a 440 or 550 but again as stated before the muffler shroud is different..BILL IRVINE

Flipjack, last night I went home & was looking over my older mac saws & I might change my mind on what I think you have bought. The case & bar look a lot like my 1-62 saw. Take a look at this saw in Acres site. I hope we solve this mystery!--I'm interested to see what you really have. Bill

I ???? near bought that same saw on ebay. I was working and didn't get home to bid. it's either a 795, 790 or 797. I believe i saw a decompression valve in the pic.. It can't be a 440 or 640, as those are just a 250 in a 1-70 style frame; that's why their shroud is different. the next question about that saw to identify it needs to be is the head removable?

well, yeah. I *need* a big saw. I just bought a super 44a for $10, along with some other stuff, and for having compression and spark, and being sprayed with starting fluid, the sucker won't run.. so i'm *still* short a good pro size saw...

Back