What do do with slash/branches?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most stuff down to 2" comes home and gets burned a little at a time. less than that gets piled up. The piles get burned if they are in the open ot left to decompose if in the woods or on the edge of the field. The idea is to make more tillable ground on the 80 and trim back the right of ways an county roads for the township.

All my cutting is on other people's land. I offer them the options:

Pile and then burn in the winter with snow on the ground.

Pile and leave for wildlife. It is dry country here so a pile lasts for years.

Leave it lay where I cut it. Oddly I have never had a request for that, drat it!

Harry K

In rural areas, when cutting or thinning trees, slash has to be burned by law here in OR. If you pile it up and do not burn it, you are liable for it if it catches fire (for any reason). Where I live now I am just out of the urban burning restricted area. I have to keep the piles small and the burns small, or someone will call it in. Then I have to explain that we are just outside the perimiter, and some cops like to argue otherwise. Same thing happened when my brother capped off some rounds off out back. One cop said it was OK as we are on a large lot and it is rural, the other said we are inside some restricted suburban area. There are also DEQ (state air quality control) burn restrictions. That may end my burning here next year.

Anyway, if I had a chipper here I would use it. But I can get all the chips I want from the Mexicans driving the tree chipper trucks around here. Tons of mulch for the asking. "Por favor?"

If i'm cutting on my property, it gets burned in the garden area. does wonders for even the poorest soil. At the other site, just pile it up out of the way. A commercial chipper in my area runs $140/day, was thinking of making a compost pile, but it would make an excellent home for snakes. Not a good idea, especially since the wife got bit by a copperhead in August!

Latest posts

Back