What do you all use for kindling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use wood from the tractor and Z-mower crates. Most of it's pine, but some is oak. I cut them up at the store just enough to fit in the truck, and then finish them up at home. Kindling gets stacked on some shelves in the cellar and the scraps, (with the nails), get used in the outdoor firepit.

Another nod to good ole white pine. After a year or two split and stacked in milk crates I barely need paper. I bring it in a crate at a time as needed, keeps it clean and therefore the Mrs happy. Seems she can never have enough kindling around.

Since I'm full of hot air, I just breathe on the wood and after a minute or two- Ka-Blammo!

Amazon.com also has LOTS of info on Kindling...

attachment.php

Ok, I'll stop now.

Pellets(bought a bag for 25¢ at mao mart on the clearance shelf) mixed with noodles,saw chips and a little candle wax are my home made firestarters. Other than those, I have a couple boxes of duraflame firestart.

Where are all the Banjo kindlings : cardboard Chiquita boxes soaked in diesel, used motor oil drippings, chopped steel-belted tires, famous ECO BRICKS sliced and diced,
C-4, barber shop floor scraps, LL Bean Fatwood, dried buffalo dung, etc....... etc..... ?????

Where ?:hmm3grin2orange:

I am currently using cedar shingles, a local church purchased a property and the house was sided in cedar shingles with cedar roofing. I use anything from sticks/twigs, pallets, "splitter turds", pine cones and pine needles..whatever is available

Jeff

Every time the wind blows, Kindling seems to fall from the sky around here.

Lots of small branches busting off the Oaks, and we get howlers coming off the lake about weekly, so there is no shortage of free range Kindling within a couple steps from the back door.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

kindling

we are kinda lucky.We live right by a manufacturing plant that gets rods in 12 foot long boxes made out of kiln dried yellow pine 1X 6 boards.Have used them for everything from roof boards to crafts.Quite a few are clear pine with no knots.Have many scraps lefted over from project and cut many boxes just into 18 inch pieces to start fires both in the garage and in the OWB.

Last edited:
local small lumber mill offers scrap. A truck load will last me about 2 years. Get some nice rough lumber mixed in too. Great for blocking the wood up from the ground.

Kindling? Who needs kindling?

I have wood that's so dry, I can even light rounds with a couple wads of newspaper or a good piece of birch bark. I haven't made/used kindling in well over twenty years.

Splitter scraps, all the small odd sized non stackable pieces put them in milk crates or cardboard boxes (after the box is empty that goes in as well, and a torch to get it all going.

Once the winter gets going the 2 stoves are running 24/7, no kindling needed.

For the shoulder times with off and on heating:

1. The bend over kindling -- splitting scraps, windfalls, pine cones all before snow time.

2. You got friends that work with wood ? They always need (beg) scraps taken: carpenters, cabinetmakers, boatbuilders.

3. Always pallets if you get short or greedy. They are a PITA to break down.

I keep a few rounds of half punky Quaking Aspen sitting within heat range of the stove. Couple whacks with a hatchet and your ready to go. Worst part is finding ones that aren't Ant infested.

There's a local cabinet company that puts out a pile of scrap wood. The pieces are 12' long, and anywhere from 1"x3" down to 1"x1/8". They save it until their wood rack is full, then stick it out in their parking lot with a forklift. The wood rack is about 4' wide and 4' high. One of them will last me 3 years. I keep an eye out every time I drive by, and when I see it sitting out, I dash for home and the trailer. Set up the chop saw with a stop, and cut for a couple hours when I get home.

Beatle killed yellow pine makes good kindleing.It already dry when you cut it.I also use "fatwood"but not from ll bean, theres plenty of it in the woods hereabouts.I also like cedar, I find a dead one ever now and again, bald cypress is a really good kindleing, starts like paper, but take a couple of years to dry.The main one nowdays is good old splitter scraps.I keep a 32 gal trash can close by and chunk the best looking pieces in there.I usally have a couple cans full.

Back