What do you burn your wood in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harman tl300

We replaced the old barrel stove in the home we live in this year with the TL300. Yesterday, I left for work at 2:45 am and got home at 5:00 pm - 14 hours and 15 minutes later. I still had enough coals to easily start the fire and then some burning white oak. It was not on the slowest burn setting either. Long burn times were our main priority as even though we are typically home in 9 hours, there are times where I work overtime and need longer burn times. Love this stove! Has an optional cooking grate as well which is a lot of fun in the winter. Last heat and electric bill was $100.00 (total) in Central Minnesota for January where temp average was about 10 degrees or less on the month. Burns clean too.

Hearthstone Heritage - 4 years

Franklin stove - All the growing up years

Mid 1980's Olix Air-Flo. Wood / coal combo. Made in the lower Fingerlakes region of New York. I read they got out of the business in the early 1990's when the EPA upped regulations. Any others with an Olix on here.

stoveclosed.jpg

stoveopen.jpg

Kevin

I really like that stove!!!

These have been posted here before:

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Quad had no problem keeping the house around 75 degrees when we had overnight lows below zero. Also, I grew up with a '85 Woodchuck Add-on in the basement that my parents still use today.

A National Boiler Works stove plumbed into my base board hot water heating system. Use "Thermo Control" controls to keep things more or less consistent. It keeps things pretty toasty if I keep it full. Combination of radiant & convection AND with the base board, the upstairs stays pretty warm as well. Haven't bought oil in two years...and we have some pretty nasty winters here in CNY...in the lake effect area of the state!

Keeping it full justifies the saw habit and hobby..certainly the saws get a work out when keeping this thing full 8 months of the year is added to the fence clearing, trail maintenance, maintaining the 100 acres of timber is all added up.

173088d1298216581-1011001109-2-jpg

Last edited:
Not My house, Jotul pic. Love this stove! 3 winters so far, we're burning about
half the wood as used to and plenty of heat.

F118_int_pop.jpg

I really like that stove!!!

Thanks Duane.
I'm actually burning coal in it for over the past month now. I wasn't going to make it through the winter with the wood I had, so I went back to coal which I haven't burned in about 7 years. Nice heat and the dust hasn't been too bad.

It nice to have options.

Kevin

Morso "Squirrel", smallest stove Morso makes, the one with a squirrel cast in relief on both sides. Firebox volume: .75 cu. ft. Wood cut to 8" long (no problem to buzz it with cheapie HF tablesaw.) Season #10 for it; this is season #5 with gas furnace "cold iron."

Might even use 2 cords this winter, depending on how you figure the 3/4 cord or more of red pine. Burned ~3 months straight until recent thaw.

Oftentimes top surface will be >800 F, and pipe at thimble surface ~200 F.

old Johnson energy systenms J9900 add on furnace....$400 on CL. has worked flawlessly except i had to replace the blower motors halfway through the season. my own fault i should have replaced them before i installed the furnace. sometimes i am as sharp as a marble!!!

I have never seen one of those Jotuls, does the stove vent out the back?
The flue can vent out the back, top, or side. I have mine venting out the top. This is one of the oldest Jotul designs, that they brought back a few years ago. Very good stove!!!

Back