What do you enjoy more, burning wood or gathering it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
On the surface it seems like a no-brain question, but while enjoying your fire is nice and saving cash is too, its also fun to experience "the thrill of the hunt" so to speak of scrounging and filling up your wood supply for next season. Its getting nicer out, and you feel good from the exercise (if you can look past the aches and pains!) so which do you enjoy the most?

I enjoy a large wood cutting party

Get a group of friends together and , drag,cut split and stack as much as we can for all of us. I will often make up a big pot of ham and beans..Friends come over we cut they all leave well fed and with a truck load of wood or 3 apiece.Heck somedays I even end up with a load or two myself.. Honestly there have been days where we used my dozer, my splitter, my saws and everyone got firewood but me... I am still trying to figure out how I let that slip by me. LOL

gathering

I have to cast my vote for gathering being my favorite part. Because even when I'm burning burning the wood, I'm looking back at the day I gathered that particular batch of wood, and applauding myself for having looked ahead and prepared.

i got all my wood done this year and also 2 years ahead. i like gathering the wood. i like cutting it and splitting it but i hate stacking it, but ill do it. Then when october comes around im just itching to get the outdoor wood stove going and start burning it.

I would have to say burning it. I really enjoy sitting around the fire on a cold December day with snow falling, reading a book or listening to music. My kids are running around in their underpants because it is so warm and the heat is free. I can't think of anything better.

1. Cutting
2. Burning
3. Splitting
100. Stacking:greenchainsaw:

I do enjoy looking at a bunch of stacked wood once it's done..

I enjoy cutting it more definately. but nothing beats snuggling up next to a wood stove with your significant other, guess thats why i have 3 kids...

Hello,
I'm with the "Ontario Logger"......I love to cut the wood and split the wood, but I hate stacking the wood !!!!!!!!

Basso

1. Cutting/gathering
2. Working on the wood pile.
3. Burning

I do all my splitting stacking back at the 'ranch'. Being retired I like to have something to do and I can go out and do 10 minutes or 5 hours anytime the weather permits. Just did finish up about 3 cords that were cut back in Jan/Feb.

I am so far ahead that I may have enough already to last out my time on this earth but I will keep cutting and stockpiling as long as the locust and my health holds out.

Harry K

I enjoy pushing myself physically, so I would have to say gathering. I used a monster maul to split 30 cords this past winter and I may not be able to keep that up much longer. After a day of that I really feel it. They say that pain is just weakness leaving your body, but I'm not so sure.

Well shoot, Guess i'm gonna be the arshole here. I would rather be fishing or hunting than do either.lol but i do love running the saws, and don't mind splitting with the speeco. i don't care for loading none and stacking is a pain. About half way through winter i get tired of loading the stove and am ready for warm weather, especially after deer season. but i do love saving on the ole electric and propane bill, so it makes it all worth it.

Burning is akin to a post-coital cigarettte.

Gathering - and seeking out places to cut - is like flirting with the honies at the bar, trying to make the score.

woodbooga's in pure coital mode now, cutting, splitting and stacking.

EDIT: This post could have gone really "blue" with inappropriate metaphors. But this is a PG rated forum. LOL

Burning is akin to a post-coital cigarettte.

Gathering - and seeking out places to cut - is like flirting with the honies at the bar, trying to make the score.

woodbooga's in pure coital mode now, cutting, splitting and stacking.

EDIT: This post could have gone really "blue" with inappropriate metaphors. But this is a PG rated forum. LOL

I don't like messing with firewood in hot weather so I guess summer is the equivalent of coitus interruptus for me.

Woodbooga, you are something else.:cheers:

I don't like messing with firewood in hot weather so I guess summer is the equivalent of coitus interruptus for me.

I never thought of Cole Porter and firewooding in the same synaptical burst. But, o wit...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qQ49QvOzKW4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qQ49QvOzKW4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Music lyrics were soooo much better when everything was either a double entendre or a withheld image. Blow my top with my baby tonight. LOL!

Depends... ordinarily I would prefer to harvest and process.

Unless my girlfriend is around and she's forced to remove clothing because I accidentally forgot to turn back the air and the kitchen got up to 83 again.

/oops

best part

The best part for me is bringing it home. My neighbor always watches me back at the wood pile cutting splitting and stacking. Always has a cranky look on his face...probably because he pays for his to be delivered. Oh to be that high and mighty!!!:D

Back