What do you guys use to carry small amounts of premix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A guy I used to work for had a really cool gas can setup that I can't find anymore. It was a steel lunchbox of sorts, made by Pioneer Partner with a flexible metal spout.

The topside held the gas, about 1/3 - 1/2 gal (my best guess). The bottom of the "lunchbox" latched on and was nothing more than an open tray that could hold a quart of bar oil, screnches, files, knife, and whatever else you wanted to squeeze in...

That thing was the greatest - I asked my dealer about them last week and he gave me the same look everyone else gives me when I ask about it... :confused:

A guy I used to work for had a really cool gas can setup that I can't find anymore. It was a steel lunchbox of sorts, made by Pioneer Partner with a flexible metal spout.

The topside held the gas, about 1/3 - 1/2 gal (my best guess). The bottom of the "lunchbox" latched on and was nothing more than an open tray that could hold a quart of bar oil, screnches, files, knife, and whatever else you wanted to squeeze in...

That thing was the greatest - I asked my dealer about them last week and he gave me the same look everyone else gives me when I ask about it... :confused:

If you look on ebay you can find them. They are usually stihl badged

I use either the MSR or plastic Nalgene camp fuel bottles for premix.
I put the bar oil in a 1qt oil bottle with a pour spout from a pancake syrup bottle on it. The pancake syrup snap cap has a larger opening than a dish soap snap cap.

You guys all spend too much money on your fuel jugs. I just use old oil jugs. i buy the 5 qt and gallon jugs of oil so thats what i use and it has yet to fail me.

My question is, how do you determine if your plastic substitute jug is a good
substitute?

What if the jug maker decides to change their plastic recipe?

Have you all ever tore down a saw that has fallen prey to the "Milkjug Syndrome"??????

You got to be careful with the oil jugs. The jugs hold up good but the liner in the cap can melt when it gets gas on it. I had one of the little cap liners just disappear when I was using a Rotella gallon jug - I knew it was on their the day before so I figgered the gas must have eaten it up. Just to experiment, I pulled the cap liner out of another Rotella jug and put it in a glass with a couple ounces of mix. Came back in a few minutes and the liner was gone. Not sure you want that crap with glue and all going through your carb

This is what I use. Simple and cheap. Keeps me going for 3-4 hours depending on what I'm doing. Sling it over one shoulder and the saw on the other. Good to go. I'm looking for a slimer gas bottle, but this balances well.

attachment.php

Add: Dates a little off on the camera I see.

Last edited:
I use a toyota to carry the fuel. :)
But I dont backpack anywhere round here

Logically 2 cans/bottles would be best instead of the single with 2 compartments. That way you can sling one over each side of your shoulder and counterbalance them.

bottles and rope when cutting.
Sigg/MSR fuel bottles from REI when packing the little saw in and clearing motorcycle trails and sections. more rugged and fit in the pack pockets without leaking. 1 liter premix will last easily a day un that application.

I use the one gallon jugs that my bar oil comes in for gas and Log cabin pancake syrup bottle for my bar oil which works great. I did this so it would fit in my milk crate that I carry to the woods.

Mac

When I built my "Alice" saw pack I used the MSR style bottles but bought them at a local discount store for about $5. A little paint and I have enough fuel (red bottle) for two tankfuls and enough oil for three fillings. Works great!

Al :cheers:

attachment.php

I just thought of a cool idea I'm gonna try out. The aluminum beer bottles with an expanding rubber stopper. I wonder if the gas will eat that rubber. One way to find out.

I use my truck. It holds my 5 gallon jug of mixed gas and 2 or 3 gallons of bar oil, plus a tool box, chains, cables, straps, and all the PPE. Come to think of it, it also carries my two helpers. :greenchainsaw:

thanks to all

I decided to go the MSR bottle route. I think that and a quart of bar oil will work well for me. I'm probably going to get a "bucket buddy" from the local big box to carry other stuff in, and I can put the gas and oil in the bucket.

Hopefully not too weighty, and I can carry the bucket in one hand and the saw in the other.

Thanks everyone for chiming in on this. You've given me lots of ideas.

Latest posts

Back