What do you remove snow with.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you should ask.

Usually, I make pathways around the house with a small Honda 2 cycle single stage snow blower. It's great for the smaller accumulations and very easy to maneuver.

The 14"+ we just received required me to pull out the White (MTD) 10HP/30" 2 stage snow gobbler. It's a real pain in the butt to operate as I get older, but it's the right tool for deeper snow or wet snow.

I must admit, some of the rigs others are using look like alot more fun.

The White blower is 12 years old this month, and so far all I have needed to replace besides the plug, was the shave plate and shoes.

However, after spending a good 5 hours clearing driveways of older folks in the hood, I have some repairs to make on the old girl. At some point the rubber on the axle friction wheel jumped off the wheel, and I started grinding metal against metal, between the larger friction wheel and the axle friction wheel. (may I say I hate this kind of drive set up, but I guess they all use this technology)

The blower 10HP motor is so loud I didn't notice the grinding. Well, I notice something different when I was engaging the drive, but I didn't think it was bad. Now I know.

I ordered $225 worth of parts from MTD today, including new clutch/auger actuation cables, as well as new auger and drive belts. I figure I might as well get the old girl completely refreshed while I have her apart. I was gonna wait until spring/summer to make repairs, but given the chances of more snow of equal or worse intensity, I might need the big rig a few more times this winter.

I though about investing in a nice 6HP/24" rig, but it seems all of the snow machines are gone in my neck of the woods. Besides, I'd easily spend $800 for a worthy replacement.

Anyway, no problem getting to the wood pile for now.

I plow our private road (about 1 mile) plus a few driveways with this:

bobcat_plow.jpg

Most of my snow removal is done with an 07 Suzuki 700 King Quad, with 5' Moose Plow:

attachment.php

When the going gets tough, the tough get out the diesel power, 1973 MF 180:

attachment.php

If the snow REALLY hits the fan (Think Halloween '91 blizzard) and I need to get out back, I can go borrow my buddy's 4955 Deere with 12' Degelman dozer, or this beast, 8960 Deere 4x4, 400HP Cummins under the hood, and a 14' Degelman on the front (This pic is actually his previous tractor, 8570, but same blade setup):

attachment.php

Let's hope I don't need to go get one of the green machines this year!

I plow our private road (about 1 mile) plus a few driveways with this:

Hey wiley, is that plow welded in place or can you change the angle back and forth? Just attached an old plow to a plate like yours but mine has a pin so you can swing it back and forth. Thinking about getting some cylinders for it so I can take full advantage of the hydraulics on the skidsteer.

I youse da made in da U.P. of Michigan Snow Scoop. But da decorative flames (not included in snow scoop purchase) are comin' off. Dat affects da speed of da snow scoop, eh. Youse know, what really keep da snow off is da cedar and hemlock trees which make my road a dark corridor. Oops, must revert to PNW speech here. Then you have the WHOMP of Cascade Concrete hitting the car/pickup. Cascade Concrete pushes da snow scoop to its limits.

Snow scoops are excellent and simple things for moving lots of snow. :clap:

Weapons:

1966 Jeep J-3000 Gladiator 4 wd pickup/Western 7' power angle blade...$800 score...

Ford 2N tractor/6' blade for da light stuff

attachment.php

This is my little 4wd Yanmar diesel tractor and is the first season with it for me and so far has way exceded my expectations as far as traction and ability to move snow easily.

I went from a 1951 massey harris skinny front with no dif lock and a back blade to this, the difference is like comparing a vw bug to a F-50 ferrari imo. Let it snow which I guess it is supposed to later this week? :)

Kansas

Last edited:
Usually my Arctic Cat 650 TRV
attachment.php

attachment.php

When the piles need moved around the Ford 1600 w/ bucket, and 6' blade, would be worthless w/o chains.
attachment.php

Those of you using ATV's what are you running for winch line? I get a little heavy on the winch and have broke cables and synthetic rope. Thinking about converting over to a strap of some sort.

Hey wiley, is that plow welded in place or can you change the angle back and forth? Just attached an old plow to a plate like yours but mine has a pin so you can swing it back and forth. Thinking about getting some cylinders for it so I can take full advantage of the hydraulics on the skidsteer.

The plow is attached with a bolt as a pivot and then a pin that lets me set one of 5 cant positions (2 left, 2 right, 1 center). That lets me use the universal attachment plate for other stuff when I am not using the plow.

Thanks Mikey...!

The Jacobsen and the Gravely are awesome!

I bought that Jacobsen for an astounding $50. It was the main snow mover here at my job for about 20+ years. When they bought an atv with a plow the tractor was retired from service. With one of those 16hp Kohler cast iron engines in her she still had plenty of life left in her!!:clap:

Have to run this little 'bota in reverse in order to avoid tearing up the lane, but it hasn't let me down yet!

Thanks for the comments, the crawlers a 2 cyl gas engine. Its the same engine that was used in the M 40 420 and 430 farm tractors more or less.

Some of the rigs shown in this thread are just to cool, a 8 cyl snow blower :chainsaw: Now I'd like to spend a couple min behind that rig :clap:

I use my 1957 Oliver Super 55 Diesel with a 5' 3pt back blade. Works fine for me, but I would like to get chains for the winter or load the tires. Sure beats shoveling by hand.

Back