What do you remove snow with.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the ol' WD-45
allis.jpg

Nice. :cheers:

Flipping quickly through this thread, I think I counted 3 garden tractors with blowers on the front.

How well does that work for you guys? It looks to be a good setup for what I have (150 feet of driveway), but I'd like to hear from you guys that actually use them.

When I got my Wheel Horse 520H, It just happened to have the blower with it. Its 44" wide, 2 stage. I was totally suprised at how well it works! Will handle deep drifted snow also. The thing I never liked about using a blade, is the snow really piles up after repeated snow falls. The blower lets you move it where ya want it. The only draw back as I see it, is if its windy at all when using it, you get covered with blowing snow, sitting out in the open, if your not carefull. LOL
We have a long gravel drive way where I live, and allmost allways have some wind. Have to set the skids/runners, so your not throwing stones though it also. Would be fantastic on paved or concrete drive though.
When running in deep snow, it does take some power. The Wheel Horse I use has a 20hp Onan engine. I don't think I'd want much less.
I am glade I have it, I've not used a blade in 3-4 winters now.
The guy I bought it from lived in NW Pa. in the snow belt up there. He said he had a blade on it originaly. But, soon found that was a lost cause, and took forever to move snow. So shelled out the big bucks and got the blower for it. I'm glad he did..:)

:cheers:
Gregg,

Blowers

When I got my Wheel Horse 520H, It just happened to have the blower with it. Its 44" wide, 2 stage. I was totally suprised at how well it works! Will handle deep drifted snow also. The thing I never liked about using a blade, is the snow really piles up after repeated snow falls. The blower lets you move it where ya want it. The only draw back as I see it, is if its windy at all when using it, you get covered with blowing snow, sitting out in the open, if your not carefull. LOL
We have a long gravel drive way where I live, and allmost allways have some wind. Have to set the skids/runners, so your not throwing stones though it also. Would be fantastic on paved or concrete drive though.
When running in deep snow, it does take some power. The Wheel Horse I use has a 20hp Onan engine. I don't think I'd want much less.
The guy I bought it from lived in NW Pa. in the snow belt up there. He said he had a blade on it originaly. But, soon found that was a lost cause, and took forever to move snow. So shelled out the big bucks and got the blower for it. I'm glad he did..:)

Gregg,

Technically mine is a "thrower because it is single stage. It works great though. Very good point about throwing stones, it happens if you're not careful. The problem I find on mine is that it gets light in the back end and will spin if you try to punch through a tough snow bank. I've got Ag tires with chains, just need more weight. I'm thinking wheel weights. As far as snow in the face....not really a problem. In the original pic I posted the machine wasn't fully set up. :)

garden tractors

Oh, and one other thing. Sometimes the auger in the blower will act like a flywheel and overspeed the engine via the PTO when heavy snow finally clears the thrower. Does that make sense to everyone?

Funny thing about using this is the neighbor 1/4 mile away thinks we get twice as many blizzards than we actually get :)

Like Thombat4, I have a stable of 3 Ariens blowers, which I should since I'm an Ariens dealer. Still have my original 1972 6 HP, along with my 2004 11 HP, with heated grips, (nice!)

I also have a 1990 8 HP that was "traded in", (for just waving the delivery fee); thing runs great, but both the augers are seriously seized on the auger shaft, so it's just one perfect rock away from blowing the gearbox, but who cares. That gentlemen, is why the shear bolts should be removed and the auger greased when servicing a blower.
:givebeer:

Technically mine is a "thrower because it is single stage. It works great though. Very good point about throwing stones, it happens if you're not careful. The problem I find on mine is that it gets light in the back end and will spin if you try to punch through a tough snow bank. I've got Ag tires with chains, just need more weight. I'm thinking wheel weights. As far as snow in the face....not really a problem. In the original pic I posted the machine wasn't fully set up. :)

I like the cab! :clap: I do use chains on the Wheel Horse, and havn't really had a problem with weight. I figure my 275 lb. fat rear end helps hold it down.LOL So far, I've not ever had a problem with the blower plugging at all either. Maybe just been lucky so far on that. Used to have an old Ariens 7 horse walk behind, seemed to plug on ocasion. It sat for years, then last summer I put a new Briggs elec. start engine on it. Gave it to my brother, He loves it.

Gregg,

Like Thombat4, I have a stable of 3 Ariens blowers, which I should since I'm an Ariens dealer. Still have my original 1972 6 HP, along with my 2004 11 HP, with heated grips, (nice!)

I also have a 1990 8 HP that was "traded in", (for just waving the delivery fee); thing runs great, but both the augers are seriously seized on the auger shaft, so it's just one perfect rock away from blowing the gearbox, but who cares. That gentlemen, is why the shear bolts should be removed and the auger greased when servicing a blower.
:givebeer:

Heres an old Ariens that I had for years. Engine was bad, sat for years and years. Finally last year, I got a replacement engine for it, a Briggs, with the 110v elec start. Had to modify the chute crank and a few things, but worked out great! Gave it to my brother, He used it last winter, and he loves it. Worked great! Well built machines.

DCP01681.jpg

DCP01682.jpg

Gregg,

Removing snow from the roof is easier with the loader bucket too. On the first story anyway, just backdrag......very carefully.

Gregg,

Thanks for the feedback. I sure hear you on the blade woes. I watched my neighbor with his 4720 JD using a blade with this storm, and it wasn't pretty. Blowing looks like a much better way to go, from what I can see.

But either one beats my current method: 3 shovels and some boys! :D

They manned up and got my driveway cleared yesterday, though. I hoped to come home and find it half done. They had finished the job. :clap:

Nice! :clap: That would be about perfect for my property.

Is that a TSC/Speeco splitter I see on the right?

Heres an old Ariens that I had for years. Engine was bad, sat for years and years. Finally last year, I got a replacement engine for it, a Briggs, with the 110v elec start. Had to modify the chute crank and a few things, but worked out great! Gave it to my brother, He used it last winter, and he loves it. Worked great! Well built machines.

DCP01681.jpg

DCP01682.jpg

Gregg,

Nice job on the conversion Gregg. Looks almost identical to mine but I have White, not chrome handles, so they may be a year or two apart. Those things really are well built. I wonder how many tons of snow that thing has thrown in it's life.

Latest posts

Back