What do you think Husqvarna's best saw is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree mate and I own one. The 3120 is built for a purpose. That is to swing big bars in big wood or milling. It is a tough saw, way heavier that any other Husky (surprisingly heavier for those who have never picked one up before), and an absolute mechanical dinosaur. It shares very few modern improvements like the rest of the XP range and is right alongside it's stablemate the Stihl 880. They are both fun on paper or for limited use but trust me, that fun does not last with extended use - they are absolutely physically punishing.
I've used an 880 and the only improvement I see over a 3120 is an inboard clutch.
One bonus is that my 3120 has the 12,500rpm limit, not the 9,500rpm limit like I think the US has.

I own a 390XPG but haven't had enough time on it to say it's the best Husky ever but from what I've read it would be the 346XP, 372XP, and 390XP neck and neck depending on the application.
I had anew 3120 and it sucked bad but the older one i had was a monster i wish i didnt sell it.

Last edited:
288xp is a great saw.......:cheers:

I will always own at least 2 of them ...........:cheers:

older 3120's are good too....:cheers:

"At least 2", but how many do you have or have had at once? :cheers:

A lot of you guys are like some of the locals around here. Grabbing up 288 parts saws in an effort to keep what you have going and/or build your own. That kind of attitude says far more about how well a saw was really liked than guys just sitting around reminiscing.

For the most part,I think all modern day pro saws are equal, it's their operators that are not.
Someone who knows what they are doing with a stock 026 can cut alot more wood than a guy with a 385 who doesn't.
For most saw owners here, I think it's just a glorified hobby and probably just an extension of the ego. " I have an 066, therefore I am." kinda thing, but it's all good.

Gypo

"At least 2", but how many do you have or have had at once? :cheers:

A lot of you guys are like some of the locals around here. Grabbing up 288 parts saws in an effort to keep what you have going and/or build your own. That kind of attitude says far more about how well a saw was really liked than guys just sitting around reminiscing.

I have 5 runners 1 with 2 piece head and pipe and 6 parts saws.......

I guess Im good for a while !!!:cheers::cheers:

I agree with above, the exception being regarding the outboard clutch, this feature is not what makes it a mechanical dinosaur.
If extra weight means it is a dinosaur, I will take it, weight is good to balance long bars and allow it to hold together in heavy use

I wasn't referring to the 3120 being a dinosaur because of the outboard clutch, not at all. I just prefer inboard clutches.
They are built tough and as I mentioned are designed for exactly what you said. I like my 3120 just would prefer to drop a 60" tree with my 7900 and 32" bar instead of the 3120 with 60" bar :cheers:

My vote would have to be for the 372. I have used mine a lot in the 2 1/2 years that I've had it. It has a lot of heart and it has done anything that I've asked from it as long as it has a sharp chain.

I have had a 346 for a few months now but I don't have enough time on it to make a real good assessment about it. It may have had two tanks ran through it and it runs good but I know it's gonna get better.

I have a 359 and it's kinda my stepchild saw. It's a good saw but I don't use it very much since it's not really the best saw for big stuff or small stuff.

I've been wanting to get a saw up around the 90cc size. Everybody raves about the 390s but they're a bit on the expensive side for a saw that I don't have to have. I've been reading about the 288s and this thread backs up what I've read about them. If I can find one for fairly cheap I might wind up with one of those too.

My vote would have to be for the 372. I have used mine a lot in the 2 1/2 years that I've had it. It has a lot of heart and it has done anything that I've asked from it as long as it has a sharp chain.

I have had a 346 for a few months now but I don't have enough time on it to make a real good assessment about it. It may have had two tanks ran through it and it runs good but I know it's gonna get better.

I have a 359 and it's kinda my stepchild saw. It's a good saw but I don't use it very much since it's not really the best saw for big stuff or small stuff.

I've been wanting to get a saw up around the 90cc size. Everybody raves about the 390s but they're a bit on the expensive side for a saw that I don't have to have. I've been reading about the 288s and this thread backs up what I've read about them. If I can find one for fairly cheap I might wind up with one of those too.

Craig's List had a 288 for $ 450.00 a week ago, no longer listed as of today in my area except a 3120 for a $ 1,000.00, this Add has been there for 3-weeks

:hmm3grin2orange:

I apologize. With the Stihl thread, I had to. :D

It a tough tie for me.... 372, 576, 346 - I like a ll three!

:greenchainsaw:

Does Husqvarna make chainsaws? Wow. I'll be darned. I have a hand crank meat grinder made by them. I bet a chainsaw would chop meat a lot faster! :chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Yew pickin' fights there John?......Dem's fightin' werds......:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Naw, just foolin' around. I got to use a 346 last month, and it was pretty nice. I like the choke/throttle switch setup. Looks like the carb manifold is easier to service than the pro Stihls as well.

This went off track a touch. LOL! The ones that keep cuttin are good, I got a 365 that's seen 20 full cord a year since '00 and is stout as the day it first hit wood and a 395 that likes big wood. :cheers:

For the most part,I think all modern day pro saws are equal, it's their operators that are not.
Someone who knows what they are doing with a stock 026 can cut alot more wood than a guy with a 385 who doesn't.
For most saw owners here, I think it's just a glorified hobby and probably just an extension of the ego. " I have an 066, therefore I am." kinda thing, but it's all good.

Gypo

I was wondering when someone was going to mention some good saws.:hmm3grin2orange:

Back