What do you think is the perfect chainsaw for firewood say between 6-14"s?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on several other factors, but generally 50-60cc, or both. :givebeer:

Then it matters if you are going to fell and limb the trees with the saw, or if you are just blocking delivered logs.....

?? any of the bigger brand names will work as long as you have a good dealer/service center which means everything! that being said to me with best to average working conditions, a saw in the 50/60 cc =18" b/c will get the job done.......

Attachments

• IMG_6097.JPG
    IMG_6097.JPG
    865.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6094.JPG
    IMG_6094.JPG
    887.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6095.JPG
    IMG_6095.JPG
    784.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6096.JPG
    IMG_6096.JPG
    863.2 KB · Views: 11
026 Stihl is pretty close to perfect, IMO:

light weight
decent power
durable
easy to work on
tons of parts available
easy to find used at a good price

Sure, a 346XP NE might have a bit more pep, and better AV, and a smarter air filter. But you can't find 346XP NE's on craigslist for $150-200 all the time. At least not my local craigslist.

034 Super Stihl also looks like a winner to me, too, based on similar criteria but I haven't run one so I can't say.

Then there's the 361 Stihl... may cure cancer? a high-water mark that may never be surpassed...?

Cut an awful lot of firewood with the 50 and the 55 in that size wood ...... until the 346XP came along. Ported, it is an absolute beast that will cut firewood with the best of 'em. IMHO

6" to 14" is definitely the sweet spot for a good 50cc saw. 16" bar would give the best balance; 18" would give a little more reach if that's a consideration. 550XP/2253 are the top choice, but for $100 less the 545/2252aren't that far behind. MS261 isn't as nimble as the Swedes, but we're talking firewood, so the handling/weight difference shouldn't matter at all.

Cut an awful lot of firewood with the 50 and the 55 in that size wood ...... until the 346XP came along. Ported, it is an absolute beast that will cut firewood with the best of 'em. IMHO
Right on my friend!! Cut a LOT of firewood with my 50 and 55 Husky's!!! Still use them for back up!! With them NEVER come out of the woods without a load of wood because a saw wouldn't run, or whatever. Super reliable!!!

I still would take a 50 or a 55 over some of the newer saws. They are slower, but they are proven,dependable and I ain't in no hurry anyway. Parts are readily available, relatively cheap and I like not needing to go to the bank for a loan to buy a chainsaw. Of coarse being 2 years ahead on firewood makes that decision easier.

Back