What do you think is the perfect chainsaw for firewood say between 6-14"s?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still would take a 50 or a 55 over some of the newer saws. They are slower, but they are proven,dependable and I ain't in no hurry anyway. Parts are readily available, relatively cheap and I like not needing to go to the bank for a loan to buy a chainsaw. Of coarse being 2 years ahead on firewood makes that decision easier.
MW we think a lot a like here!! I like and admire these new saws! Pretty much all of them. But in the old days never paid much for a saw! Got deals on them sure, but like everything else today, where everthing has gone up, can't see shellin' it out. Why I'm into the old 44's and 61's, and converting them! They're built well and run great!! Good enough for me! Just my opinion anyway.

Depends on how fast you want to work. As noted above, 6-14" is 50cc territory. Saws by Dolmar, Echo, Husqvarna, Jonsered & Stihl will be fine, assuming that dealer support is nearby. My first choice would be a Stihl MS261 C-M. A Husky 346xp is dependable, lighter with the same power and the local dealer can service them blindfolded, preferring them to the 550xp, but I'm not fond of the outboard clutch design. A Stihl MS260 Pro is not as fast as the others, but is light, handles well, starts easily hot or cold, and has no bad habits. Filter needs to be cleaned often and chain kept super sharp for satisfying performance, though.

MW we think a lot a like here!! I like and admire these new saws! Pretty much all of them. But in the old days never paid much for a saw! Got deals on them sure, but like everything else today, where everthing has gone up, can't see shellin' it out. Why I'm into the old 44's and 61's, and converting them! They're built well and run great!! Good enough for me! Just my opinion anyway.

Well the truth is that if you can do your own wrenching, you never really have to buy a new saw. You can get a hurtin' saw or a dead saw and bring her back to life with minimal cost. You guys are right about the 51/55 chassis being reliable firewood producers. Not as sought after on boards like this where the latest/greatest will always dominate the discussion. But any saw that will reliably fill the truck with firewood hits the bulls eye in it's own way.

And saws that are generation or 2 back like the 55's and the 272/670 chassis are easier to find for projects. The older the saw, the less likely folks will want to spend money on them. Especially on saws in the 50cc class that can be replaced for the cost of a shop repair. So they're more likely to buy themselves a new saw and leave behind a nice project for the rest of us. :clap:

If it where still 1979 the perfect firewood saw would be a 10-10 with a 16" bar. Today i would say an echo cs-450p. They are just so damn reliable.

Well the truth is that if you can do your own wrenching, you never really have to buy a new saw. You can get a hurtin' saw or a dead saw and bring her back to life with minimal cost. You guys are right about the 51/55 chassis being reliable firewood producers. Not as sought after on boards like this where the latest/greatest will always dominate the discussion. But any saw that will reliably fill the truck with firewood hits the bulls eye in it's own way.

And saws that are generation or 2 back like the 55's and the 272/670 chassis are easier to find for projects. The older the saw, the less likely folks will want to spend money on them. Especially on saws in the 50cc class that can be replaced for the cost of a shop repair. So they're more likely to buy themselves a new saw and leave behind a nice project for the rest of us. :clap:
Well put Spike!!! Makes for a great situation really!! And I have a great fondness for these old saws for sure!!

If it where still 1979 the perfect firewood saw would be a 10-10 with a 16" bar. Today i would say an echo cs-450p. They are just so damn reliable.
Agree! First saw I ever bought was a 10-10! Loved it and made a living with it during and after the oil embargo of the early 70's. Was stolen out of my father's barn years ago! Always looking for another!
Bought an Echo 450 at yard sale for $30 a few years ago. Father sold it at a Gravely show. Boy was I pissed!

028 super wood boss... Been considering buying another 50cc saw but as long as the super is running I think I can scrape by with it. When it does finally die and need replacing ill probably try to find a 260/261

028 super wood boss... Been considering buying another 50cc saw but as long as the super is running I think I can scrape by with it. When it does finally die and need replacing ill probably try to find a 260/261
Finally. A man who knows the rihl story!

Latest posts

Back