What do you wear-Jackets for autumn to spring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Westslope Cascades are finicky... From November to March you can go from 4" of snow, to a monsoon, to 60 degree heat days, to 10 degree cold days. All in the same week.

Gary

Thats the way to go. The best way to survive cold weather is not to be toasty warm. When you are too warm you sweat, then you get sick. Also keep in mind the best way to keep your extremities warm is to keep your core warm. When your core gets cold blood supply is reduced to hands, feet, arms, legs, etc then you get cold. Keeping your head and feet warm are the most important thing. A huge amount of heat loss is from the head, and once your feet are cold you are done. Warm wool socks and boots will help keep your upper body warmer. Cotton clothing is useles in damp weather and once its wet it loses all of its insulation value. Wool stays warm when wet and really keeps the damp feeling out even in the rain.

It's nearly impossible to keep my feet warm in the winter. They swaet entirely more than they should and have my entire life. My feet sweat sitting in my recliner while barefoot. The rest of me stays warm easily. If it's really cold as in below zero, a fleece neck gator and knit wool hat work very well to help keep things warm. The nylon winter pants and jacket from Labonville will keep ya warm and dry too.

I'm big on layering, start out early with cheap jersey cotton fleece hoodies and jeans, then go to light polypro long sleeve tee light sweatshirt and heavyweight carhart fleece hoodie, when it gets cold carhart artic lined overhauls and layer up on top adding some cabela's windproof fleece over swiss army surplus fleece and hoodied with a "tall" heavy duck carhartt vest, I like to keep as much freedom of movement as possible when it comes to arms and upper body, I avoid getting too hot and sweaty.

Back