What would you do to a tree like this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, I'm going to study up on the compost treatment you specified, TreeSeer. Probing the pocks in the trunk to find decay, dead wooding, and laying down some mulch are on my list. How big of a radius should I lay mulch down?
as long as the branches are, plus 2.6 feet, where possible.

mulch will inoculate the soil with compost, in several years, many in your climate. google root invigoration

DVC00255.jpg

The bulging could be indication of a decay court, but it looks more like an association with the palisade roots. Maybe an old closed up branch too?

The seepage looks more like a weeping canker then a large pocket of decay, you get a yeast like culture in there and alchoholic slime can leak out with little harm to the xylem. Sometime you can see bugs and critters coming for a tipple, I've seen drunken butterflys an squirrils staggering around some old white oaks and maples.

DVC00254.jpg

I've never touched the genus, so all i cans say is that the main crotch may be problematic in high winds depending on how a better pict of both sides looked.

Also the damage that carpenter ants make to sound wood is much overblown. They tear up anything with decay, but leave good wood alone.

If they are a problem, a little borax drops them dead.

Sanborn, what are pallisade roots? I found that is the word for those pointed picket fences in ancient times made of tree trunks, but I couldn't find what you meant.

I'm going to offer the HO the plan:

1. Dead wood and lighten up any heavy ended branches.

2. Air spade out to 2.5 ft past the drip line.

3. Cover aeriated area with compost, and integrate it with tree spade.

4. Cover this area in mulch, and water.

5. Water once a month by letting a spear style sprinkler run over night. That is far more water than trees here receive during any given year.

If I hired any of you, how much would this cost me?

I would have a run w/ the rep points tonight, but I used them all up on the guys in the Chainsaws forum. They helped me fix my saw this morning.

Yes, I would see if I could help the tree live and grow bigger until it does become a problem then the risks and cost of removal would be greater. Make sense?

Nice tree ya got there, what's it about 3 feet of the backroom?

Yes, I would see if I could help the tree live and grow bigger until it does become a problem then the risks and cost of removal would be greater. Make sense?

Nice tree ya got there, what's it about 3 feet of the backroom?

It's growing more feet from the structure than it looks in that picture. I think problems when the only branches on a tree are on the side of the house. A tree like this one could mean something deadly in some more years if someone doesn't bolster up its health.

Sanborn, what are pallisade roots? I found that is the word for those pointed picket fences in ancient times made of tree trunks, but I couldn't find what you meant.

That is a term referring to the first order root and basal flair becoming very pronounced and running up the trunk. May be colloquial, or industry jargon. I've heard forester and arborists use the term, and have had very few professionals not understand the usage. Not trying to bust on you, just explaining that it is not a personal buzzword.

Pest510.jpg

Note hoe there is a distinct association in tissue from the roots running up the trunk. There has been shown to be more lateral diffusion in the root system, but we often see root loss under removed large low limbs when there is this visible association. I go back to Mattheck about how the tree talks to you visually.

Thanks. About the price check though. I was just checking to get a range. I'll do the work myself, but it's positive effort to advertise your readiness to do the work.

Every once and a while some one wants to learn how to do it right. :laugh:

Not to long ago I showed someone how not to do it and raked 8 panels of aluminum siding. :laugh: :rolleyes: I did not even make the cost of my trip out there that day, but at least it was not more then that ! :eek:

Back