What else do you guys burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upidstay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My wife makes fun of me every winter, but I burn all sorts of stuff in my stove. After dinner I gather up food scraps, bones, etc., wrap them in newspaper and check them on the fire. I figure if it could be composted, it can be burned. I never burn plastic, shiny paper, or anything on the "bad for the chimney" list, but everything is fair game. It'll just sit in a land fill for all eternity if I don't, right??

My wife makes fun of me every winter, but I burn all sorts of stuff in my stove. After dinner I gather up food scraps, bones, etc., wrap them in newspaper and check them on the fire. I figure if it could be composted, it can be burned. I never burn plastic, shiny paper, or anything on the "bad for the chimney" list, but everything is fair game. It'll just sit in a land fill for all eternity if I don't, right??

LOL.. you make an unarguable point until I found out they burn scraps for energy around me... So no it's not just sitting in a landfill... http://www.crra.org/pages/prof_faci_wte.htm

Around here that would be illegal to burn all that and once you realize what your putting in the air...you'll think twice...then again don't these places do the same to turn it into energy? lol

I know what you're gonna say....its just me, one person won't hurt.... well if everyone thought like me about having kids, we would be the last generation on this planet. LOL

As an electrician I'm around alot of 2x4 scraps... I'll burn those "occasionally" but I got plenty of wood to last me years... plus I dont want to clean my flue every 3 weeks. :)

Last edited:
I burn all kinds of stuff in my boiler. I avoid plastic but about everything else gets toasted. Paper, cardboard, boxes, etc.

I figure if it could be composted, it can be burned.

You figure wrong.

I never burn plastic, shiny paper, or anything on the "bad for the chimney" list,

Yes you do. Right here:

food scraps, bones, etc., wrap them in newspaper and check them on the fire.

]It'll just sit in a land fill for all eternity if I don't, right??

Wrong.

It's people like you who give woodburners a bad name.

Fingernails cuttings, rolled-up pizza cartons, dried-on-the-stove orange peelings...
Btw, those peelings are great - 1st they scent the house, great fragrance, then in the stove they go WHOOSH!!! All those essential oils... Kids love to see it go up in flame.

Oh yeah, JUNKMAIL is reall fun to burn! F%$# you, annoying advertisers!! :clap:

SA

Speaking of orange peels, try this.

Next time you peel an orange to eat, get a cigerette lighter.

Light the lighter and hold the orange peel close to it. While the lighter is lit, bend/fold the orange peel.

driving down a major roadway yesterday, we saw a large cloud hovering above the skyline up ahead. it kinda matched the other big cumulous clouds that were passing by.

as we got closer, we soon realized it was smoke coming from kodak's coal burning chimney. without any wind, that smoke rises hundreds of feet into the air and it looks like a huge cloud.

and people complain about what we burn.

So what does buring scrap 2x4 in your stove to do the chimney? Does it leave alot of cresote? Is it bad for you stove. I have a bunch of 2x4 that I have cut up and ready to burn, but thinking twice after reading this thread. It is wood afterall but wonder if there are additives like glue or anything in it?

Just wondering as I'm new to wood burning. Just got my wood insert 2 seasons ago

Cheers

Nothing wrong with burning clean scrap lumber. There is a pallet factory down the road from me. They have a two large CB OWBs and they burn only scrap lumber and pallets. The system heats two warehouses and gets rid of most of their junk wood.

Other than various species of firewood, I burn any personal information I don't need any criminals getting their fingers on. Bank statements,credit card statements, etc. etc.

Pine and 1 sheet of newsprint (black and white only) to start a fire.

Nothing but hardwood (any hardwood will do) after that.

I don't like cleaning my chimney, so I try to burn a clean fire.

Burning 2x4 scraps alone that are kiln dried can do two things. One is they off gas too quickly, allowing for a rich environment sending unburnt particles into the chimney. That could create a potential for creosote. And like said, an over fire of a stove. I have read of alot of stoves ruined from scrap lumber. If its mixed, or burned in moderation there shouldn't be a problem. Filling a stove with nothing but, I wouldn't do it.

Burning 2x4 scraps alone that are kiln dried can do two things. One is they off gas too quickly, allowing for a rich environment sending unburnt particles into the chimney. That could create a potential for creosote. And like said, an over fire of a stove. I have read of alot of stoves ruined from scrap lumber. If its mixed, or burned in moderation there shouldn't be a problem. Filling a stove with nothing but, I wouldn't do it.

Good info, thank you. So your saying that Kilin dried 2x4's are so dry that they burn really hot then.

Back