what firewood kinds be side pine i should not burn in camp fires wood stove and fireplace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly that many people don't know how to cut decent wood, how to season said wood, how to burn a clean fire, or how to clean a chimney.
I had no clue what I was doing when I started out. Still never had a problem. Loved pine. Now all I have are the very best hardwoods in existence and I’d still burn pine if that’s what I had. I understand it’s maybe not as good BTU wise as a lot of others but people act like it’s poison.

Yup, nothing wrong with most (if not all) conifers, I tend not to burn Thuja, although its bad rep is probably as unfounded as pine's.
Don't know if it's a climate or a habit thing, but I would never, ever burn (green cut) wood of whatever kind that hasn't been drying for two years at least. In my experience, wood that hasn't dried that long just isn't dry enough.
In any case, if your pine is properly dried there's no reason not to burn it, including indoors (I do have a well insulated double walled stainless chimney, guess that helps).

Mostly that many people don't know how to cut decent wood, how to season said wood, how to burn a clean fire, or how to clean a chimney.
Exactly they don't let the fire get hot enough with enough oxygen when they have wood stoves, once it starts roaring it cleans the junk off. Also, seasoned Pine is a must. Open the door until it starts roaring for a while.

pine is to sapy to much cresote tar in the chiminey
the building could burn down
It's not that bad if you learn how to use it. Good draft, hot chimney when adding wood that's debarked and plenty dry, don't turn draft down until the fire is hot and most sap is burned out and no problem .
If cooking over a fire is the purpose, I don't think u would want to use it if hardwoods are available

I have never burned anything other than pine.

It's great firewood.

The internet has made some people dumb...

It's not just the internet, I heard a lot of those kinds of rumors before the internet was even available to most people.

I had no clue what I was doing when I started out. Still never had a problem. Loved pine. Now all I have are the very best hardwoods in existence and I’d still burn pine if that’s what I had. I understand it’s maybe not as good BTU wise as a lot of others but people act like it’s poison.

If you've got some common sense it's not hard to burn pine with no issues. That being said, loblolly, longleaf, and shortleaf pine that we have here in NC are much more pitchy that the western pines. Cut a green tree and come back in a day and you can see the pitch oozing out. There is a reason NC is the Tar Heel state- we had a thriving pine tar business here in the 1700's and 1800's due to the prevalence of longleaf pines. In old stands of timber somtimes you can still find a longleaf with the scars from where it was cut into for tar production. Longleaf can be burned with no issues, but it is extremely pitchy and has to cure for a long time.

Pine (pinus) is a genus, not a species. Some of these generalizations are ridiculous. I have burned plenty of ponderosa and lodgepole, but I wouldn't burn southern yellow in a fireplace.

I've never had a chance to burn any of the western pines, but I have burned yellow pine plenty of times in fireplaces, campfires, and woodstoves with zero issue, IF it is very well cured. It will work ok in an outdoor wood boiler even green if you don't mind your hands being sticky...

Looks like we are back to where the conversation started. Pine in the east/southeast is predominately loblolly which is also called yellow pine and has a very high sap content. It will burn even when pretty wet because of that high, flammable sap content. If you burn it wet it will burn but not provide a very hot fire, leading to accumulation of creasote in the chimney.
This is why for generations, long, long betore the internet was around, the general rule of thumb in the southeast portion of the US was you burned hardwoods in fireplaces and woodstoves and you burned pine in campfires and such.
Of course, if you'd prefer to believe everyone in the eastern part of the country are idiots and morons and that the whole thing was perpetuated on the internet, go for it!

I live in Portland Oregon where there is awesome wood of all kinds! But I have become spoiled the last three years, there is an arborist in the area that was posting on Craigslist that he would deliver big Douglas fir rounds for free if you had the means to cut these huge rounds or don't even respond to the add! I responded that I have 135 chainsaws and might be able to find a saw that could cut it! And he has dropped off these incredibly beautiful loads of old growth Douglas fir for free three years in a row! My neighbors don't know what to think of me! And if your familiar with splitting big rounds of Douglas fir that weigh between 4 to 6 hundred pounds apiece they are intimidating to the normal human! I however am far from normal! And I love it! Top quality and once you pop one of these big bastards in half you can just go around the whole thing cutting pie shaped pieces and get around 18-20 nice big pieces out of a round. And for a guy like me who owns so many chainsaws, it's like someone dropped off a playground for a kid! Lots of fun right in my side yard of your own home! And I love nothing more than disturbing the peace with some old vintage chainsaws with stinger pipes just barking like a bad dog! 😋

I burned Ponderosa Pine, quite exclusively, when living in Western SD and Eastern WY with no issues but all the wood was very dry and seasoned well.
Would it be safe to make the comment that any of the coniferous woods will burn well and cleanly if they are seasoned properly?
Certainly proper seasoning and a low moisture content has to help but since I have not burned every type by a long shot I can't answer that definitively.

I have never burned anything other than pine.

It's great firewood.

The internet has made some people dumb...
A few misnomers aside I think you will see that the division here sharply follows geography. I grew up in your part of the country and burned nothing but pine. Nothing wrong with it. It'll keep the pipes from freezing, to be sure. Living in Ohio the options couldn't be more different. Few pine, nearly countless types of hardwoods, most of which have anywhere from 20-40% higher btu than pine. Then there is the burn times, pine goes fast compared to hardwoods. It's not that I won't burn pine, it's just that it's not worth it when there are better options so readily available. And that's likely where much of the "ignorance" comes in to play. For people that have been surrounded by nothing but hardwoods their whole life, about all they know is that pine isn't worth the effort compared to what they have around them.

A few misnomers aside I think you will see that the division here sharply follows geography. I grew up in your part of the country and burned nothing but pine. Nothing wrong with it. It'll keep the pipes from freezing, to be sure. Living in Ohio the options couldn't be more different. Few pine, nearly countless types of hardwoods, most of which have anywhere from 20-40% higher btu than pine. Then there is the burn times, pine goes fast compared to hardwoods. It's not that I won't burn pine, it's just that it's not worth it when there are better options so readily available. And that's likely where much of the "ignorance" comes in to play. For people that have been surrounded by nothing but hardwoods their whole life, about all they know is that pine isn't worth the effort compared to what they have around them.

Probably the best articulate description I've read yet.

Back