What fuel for compression?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
235 wow! I figure getting in those ranges you might begin I have issues. I have no previous experience with high high compression numbers, so I am just curious as to what numbers in any application(saws, snowmobiles, or dirt bikes) would be enough to cause a need for better quality gas. A previous poster explained that at super RPM's you can gain off lower octane. These are the things I'm looking for.

and in turn revs are easier to obtain with the short stroke correct? With the bore being larger and stroke shorter the relationship between effective scavenged exhaust and intake fuel are then erratic or heavily swayed to one side or the other correct? Which is what these top brands are trying to control with strato ports to meet EPA but keep performance at tip top?

The idea behind a stratified charge loop scavenged twostroke is to divide the charge into a lean and a rich part, delaying the rich part a little so the lean part enters cylinder first, hoping the inevitable loss during blowup period will be lean.

The scavenging effisensy depends more on other factors than the bore/stroke ratio.

I understand its not the simple ;) nearly asking if it is effecting the effectiveness of certain functions within the simple yet very complex engineered mechanics of today's saws that must adhere to both the EPA as well as the buyer's demand for performance

235 wow! I figure getting in those ranges you might begin I have issues. I have no previous experience with high high compression numbers, so I am just curious as to what numbers in any application(saws, snowmobiles, or dirt bikes) would be enough to cause a need for better quality gas. A previous poster explained that at super RPM's you can gain off lower octane. These are the things I'm looking for.
I can not run 87 without octane boost.

Have you tried higher octane with any measurable results? I believe higher octane runs cooler? That would help keep everything tight and not loose as much compression in heat expansion?

Have you tried higher octane with any measurable results? I believe higher octane runs cooler? That would help keep everything tight and not loose as much compression in heat expansion?
yes but my friend Randy made a good point. I live in a mostly middle and low class town so 87 is what most people buy. There for buying 87 and adding 3 oz of octane boost per gallon I achieve about 95 octain and have very fresh fuel.

Something to consider is that we are running 2 stroke engines. And these burn a mixture of gasoline...

and OIL-

What is the octane rating of oil? There isn't one, because it is very LOW. A small amount of oil DESTROYS your effective octane rating instantly. Which means that even if you use 100LL blue avgas like one guy on this thread talked about [How? It is illegal to dispense that into cans]...your final octane rating is going to be real low, probably below 80. That is why two-stroke engines typically run very low 5-6:1 compression.

However, I've been told that many car racers use a certain grade of Valvoline 2 stroke oil in their dry sump racing V8's because it actually has some sort of octane enhancer. I cannot remember which Valvoline it is, but Mark Anderson from California used it in his Porsche 928 race car when he took it to the Silver State challenge in Nevada. This is where they close a 100 mile section of highway in the middle of nowhere and people race their cars on it, trying to come as close as possible to a defined time. Mark's 928 has a 396 cubic inch four cam/32 valve Porsche V8 that with catalytic converters installed can PASS California emissions. In the race, at one point his car was clocked at 211 mph, and it won the 200 mph class. It used this Valvoline 2 stroke oil in the sump, and after he won the race, he put the trophy in the hatch, changed the tires to street tires...and drove it home! Find this oil for your saw.

The thing to WATCH OUT FOR is ethanol!

Ethanol is drinkable alcohol. And it is typically about 10% of the fluid you buy at the pump. By volume it has about 60% of the energy of gasoline, so if 10% of your tank is ethanol, you lose about 4% energy for the same price. This is a scam perpetuated by the corn lobby, but I will stop right there. Ethanol attracts water from the air LIKE CRAZY! The entrained water then goes to work on all your metals, exchanging its oxygen with the metal to produce rust. In areas that you DO NOT want rust! Right now, lawnmower and small engine repair shops are doing gangbusters business repairing these devices simply due to the damage that this silly politically-demanded ingredient in fuel is causing.

For that reason I purchase nothing but ethanol-free fuel called REC-90 for my boat and all my small engines. You can find a station that sells REC-90 here: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Is there any measurable difference between synthetic and non synthetic oils in gas and their effect on octane rating?

Is there any measurable difference between synthetic and non synthetic oils in gas and their effect on octane rating?

Definitely. Type of oil and percentage are all additional variables in this equation.

And where I live it is not illegal to dispense 100LL into cans.

It is my understanding AV fuel is far more stable in quality control then gas station fuel would be. Also I may be wrong but 100LL burns a little cooler as well but that may have more to due with the higher octance ratign than anything.

I am soon to be running the AV 100LL as it is easy to get and has no ethonal and as I understand it has a rather long shelf life and some saws I don't run a whole lot so it would seem better to have to longer life fuel in them for longer storage times.

I'm not expecting to get any perfomrance gains from it I just wnat the most stable fuel all around with storage capabilities beyind thirty days.

Here's a partner 5000 I did a couple months ago and it runs fine on 91 non-oxygenated 32:1 R50. This saw has a wide squish band with no taper set at .022 and still no detonation. 100ll is used in saws for it's other properties, not octane. Basically don't worry about it.

View attachment 261067

But if its illegal to disperse how do you get it

I think it is illegal to run in modern cars but you wouldn't wna to do that anyways as it will foul up the O2 sensors.

It is based on a case by case situation. Some places sell it no problem and from what some poeple sa other airports won't sell to anyone unless it goes directly into a plane.

back in the day many people would drive thier high compression cars to the airport and fuel directly into the car.

I don't think it is illegal as you can buy VP racing fuel which is pretty much the same thing legally for off road vehicles which chain saws fall under you would think.

I supose you could have issues if you have a saw with a cat convertor though. Like the Dolmar 5105

Here's a partner 5000 I did a couple months ago and it runs fine on 91 non-oxygenated 32:1 R50. This saw has a wide squish band with no taper set at .022 and still no detonation. 100ll is used in saws for it's other properties, not octane. Basically don't worry about it.

View attachment 261067

That's some impressive compression. But I don't worry about. I am curious about it. If you look from the beginning at this thread and my question and responses, my question has yet to be answered. Nor am I planning on changing anything about my mixes, the gas I use, or anything of the like. I just like to pick through people's brains and sort through the things I find interesting and can learn from. Thanks for the advice but no thanks ill keep asking all the question I can think of, and worry about what I feel is worth my time.

this saw runs 87 or 92 ,i cant seem to tell any difference in running,my buider says 87 is fine if carbs tuned right View attachment 261068
attachment.php

Back