what have you come across while cutting wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a kid my dad was cutting a very large silver maple that had ben wrapped in barbed wire 60 years before (toward the very center of the tree). The chain broke and ended up wrapped around his neck. He was POed because it cut him in the scalp and my mom had to cut a chunk of hair out to close a cut in his scalp. I'm sure it scared the crap out of him but it could have been way worse. I learned some new words that day. LOL

As for me just the usual stuff, nails, spikes, I hooks, christmas tree lights, extension cords and some croquet balls. Nothing real interesting.

Almost cut through a nest of raccoons in a big cottonwood and a few weeks ago I dropped a red oak that had a nest of flying squirrels in it. They all lived and escaped expect one that my cutting buddy ended up with that is now his pet

image.jpg

Nails, ants, bark beetle larva, devils club. Fell a dead fir and had a heard of elk walk in and start eating the moss off the tree, they were cherpin and mewin and could care less I was standing there so I bucked up as much as I could with out getting in their way.

Had to cut out a chainsaw bar or two.

Quote="Venomvpr900, post: 4677095, member: 108118"]Almost cut through a nest of raccoons in a big cottonwood and a few weeks ago I dropped a red oak that had a nest of flying squirrels in it. They all lived and escaped expect one that my cutting buddy ended up with that is now his pet

View attachment 331206[/quote]
Flying squirrels make fun little pets.kept one in my house in a bird cage for one winter.kind of a rescuedeal.soon as spring came around he went happily on his way.

Today I was surveying a cut over area to see what tops I could cut into firewood. Had a doe walking toward me while I stood still. She was looking at me and kept getting closer and closer. Finally I blew a bit to send her off. She alerted but kept coming, very slowly. When she was about 12 yards away I turned and started to walk away as I didn't know what was going on. She ran off about 20 yards, turned around and then as I was continuing to walk, she ran off. Very Weird. Also saw a very large and scruffy looking opossum. And then I encountered a large rat snake lying on the trail. It was very sluggish as there was still a bit of snow on the ground. Have no idea why it was out and about is sub freezing temps. Saw a large owl (great horned) and also an eagle which isn't too common around here. I was carrying a rifle as I was looking for pigs but didn't see any. Nice two hour walk though.
As far as what I have encountered IN a tree, wire fencing, nails, spikes, flying squirrel nest (last big willow oak tree I cut down and the first flying squirrel I ever saw in the wild) and although I didn't hit it with the saw, I had a log chain holding a bunch of splits together. Looked like paper dolls.

A few years ago I was cutting some dead standing trees for fire wood. I just take my tractor with a log winch and pull them home. I cut a few and I had a nice drag hitched to the winch. I went for a walk to find some more trees for my next drag. Keep in mind that this is bow season. I heard a rather odd noise in the dry leaves, I walked slowly in the direction of the noise. I found a young man with a camo top and no bottoms behind a married women with a camo top and no bottoms on all fours. I probably stayed there longer then I should have. It was HARD for me to concentrate on dragging wood. A few weeks later I saw the same women at the local gas station. I asked her how often do you hunt deer behind my house on all fours with your pants down. The look on her face was priceless.

Later
Dan

A few years ago I was cutting some dead standing trees for fire wood. I just take my tractor with a log winch and pull them home. I cut a few and I had a nice drag hitched to the winch. I went for a walk to find some more trees for my next drag. Keep in mind that this is bow season. I heard a rather odd noise in the dry leaves, I walked slowly in the direction of the noise. I found a young man with a camo top and no bottoms behind a married women with a camo top and no bottoms on all fours. I probably stayed there longer then I should have. It was HARD for me to concentrate on dragging wood. A few weeks later I saw the same women at the local gas station. I asked her how often do you hunt deer behind my house on all fours with your pants down. The look on her face was priceless.

Later
Dan
The RUT must have been going on!:popcorn:

A few years back I felled a storm damaged hickory tree (29" DBH) for a neighbor and while cutting down the stump, I hit a chunk of concrete the size of a basketball in the middle of the cut. He was 90 years old then and swore that nobody ever left any cement near that tree (that he remembers). I went through 5 chains on that stump trying to cut a little higher/lower, around it, etc .............called it quits and he got a stump grinder in - poor guy didnt know what to think. We tried to tell him that we toasted a few chains and to be carefull, he cut around the all sides and eventually got out that chunk of concrete, and ground down the stump, but not before dulling his cutters pretty badly. He said that he has never seen concrete in the middle of a stump before and had some choice words for the guy who left it there - long story short - a few months back my neighbor tells me that he thinks he remembers leaving bags of sand and concrete against trees so when he and his go-cart riding friends got a little too close, they wouldnt total their rides. He had 5 new chains in his hands for me.

Last edited:
I found an old Green River Whiskey bottle from the 1930's. There was a depression era CCC camp nearby, and I figure this was someone's hooch, either stashed or polished off and tossed. I kept it.

Also, want everyone to know that I am going to hunt the land behind Dozer Dan's house pretty HARD next year. I've always been a hunter and I've always known what I'm huntin' for. DW

found an old timberjack skidder with a 2 stroke diesel 2 years ago. was pretty interesting. had urges to go back and try get it running. just an old abandoned piece of logging equipment. pretty common around B.C.

View attachment 331255 View attachment 331256
You sir need to be beaten,....how i say how could you leave that behind ? I for one am worried about you. Other than that it is cool.

Latest posts

Back