what have you come across while cutting wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago, I was clearing small trees (ironwood) and brush to replace my pasture fence. In one section, I was on my knees cutting with chainsaw and I moved two old cedar fence post and uncovered a 14" long copperhead snake.
Temperature was about 50 degrees and the snake was "droggy" and trying to locate me!
Since I was about 1/4 mile from home, that gave me a big scare, so I did something that I knew was wrong--but my adrenalin was rushing!
I used the chainsaw on him and--you guessed it-- chain slung the snake in my lap!!
Didn't take me long to get to my feet!!

Around this old farm (est. 1857) you're likely to find most anything in the trees. I've found barbed wire, metal brackets 4" to 6" , horse shoes, maple tree taps, bed springs, cast iron wheels and spokes, tire rims and the occasional squirrel nest. One interesting flying squirrel nest had live babies in it that were quite shook up when the tree fell. As I blocked up the tree, I came upon the nest and the tiny bodies fell out. Not knowing what type of beast they came from,( they looked like tiny mice) I put them back in the nest and waited. After a short while the mother came back to the nest following the tiny noises they made. She would pick one up and scurry to the nearest tall tree, climb way up towards the top and glide down to a standing dead poplar tree about 30 yards away, climb back up the new tree with the baby and deposit it into a hole in that tree, come out and climb further up that tree and glide back to the first tree and repeat the process all over again with each of her litter. It was quite a show. You got to love nature at work.

found an old timberjack skidder with a 2 stroke diesel 2 years ago. was pretty interesting. had urges to go back and try get it running. just an old abandoned piece of logging equipment. pretty common around B.C.

View attachment 331255 View attachment 331256
Is that a 450?I'm looking for a dead 450 for a guy i know, who's caught fire this fall.His is burnt on the hydraulic side.

Many years ago, I was clearing small trees (ironwood) and brush to replace my pasture fence. In one section, I was on my knees cutting with chainsaw and I moved two old cedar fence post and uncovered a 14" long copperhead snake.
Temperature was about 50 degrees and the snake was "droggy" and trying to locate me!
Since I was about 1/4 mile from home, that gave me a big scare, so I did something that I knew was wrong--but my adrenalin was rushing!
I used the chainsaw on him and--you guessed it-- chain slung the snake in my lap!!
Didn't take me long to get to my feet!!
:clap:

You sir need to be beaten,....how i say how could you leave that behind ? I for one am worried about you. Other than that it is cool.

at least one of us needs a beating :laugh: i could start walking out my front door and be standing in front of that skidder in 5 minutes. what do you think about that?

When I was bout 17 mid to late 80s I think ,we had a skidder with a V6 2 stroke diesel man that sucker would rev, have to ask me old man what it was....One memory of it I will never forget my dad was backing up some very steep ground (the side of a mountain)and it stalled! man it got some pace up and the size of the trees it was taking out on the way down! but lucky he got re started and dropped the blade and got it pulled up eventually,brakes well hmmm dont think it had any:rolleyes: lol.....

sure that wasn't a straight six 2 stroke? ain't never seen know V6 2 stroke diesel :givebeer:

Is that a 450?I'm looking for a dead 450 for a guy i know, who's caught fire this fall.His is burnt on the hydraulic side.

yes, it is :)

at least one of us needs a beating :laugh: i could start walking out my front door and be standing in front of that skidder in 5 minutes. what do you think about that?

sure that wasn't a straight six 2 stroke? ain't never seen know V6 2 stroke diesel :givebeer:

yes, it is :)
could be a 6v53 detroit also is the skidder on your proprety

could be a 6v53 detroit also is the skidder on your proprety

not actually on the property but in the woods just behind it. lots of woods around my house and the skidder is very close by. i was actually cutting some alder to bring home for wood chips to use in the smoker that day. when i ran into that i was pretty surprised.

The first semi tractor I ever drove out of the yard for my dad was an old GMC with a Detroit V8 two stroke. Loud as heck, belched black smoke everywhere when you idled it to much and loaded it up, had the old 13 speed Road Ranger and a two speed rear end, armstong steering. You will never forget the sound and smell of a two stroke Detriot.

Definitely a V6 I remember working on it,off the top me head now was along time ago lol but Detroit V6 2 stroke diesel? now had few straight 6 diesel perkins in a few machines(junk!) lol...We have had a few skidders over the years but the one we have now and have had for a few years is a Timberjack 450c? 6 cylinder turbo cummins 175hp I think ? ....Anyway is just a a tool that can pull big crap out the bush Im not that into numbers but can operate a skidder just fine :givebeer:...

i've never seen a 2 stroke diesel V6. that would be interesting right there :givebeer:

I never found anything real interesting in the trees I cut. The usual from land that has been occupied for a few hundred years.

However I left something behind for somebody else! I consider gum a trash tree and almost impossible to kill when you want to. I used to shoot a lot so picking a big gum as a backstop just seemed reasonable. There is one on my old place with centerfire rifle and pistol bullets in it by the dozens if not hundreds including a few steel jacketed ones, and maybe over a thousand rimfire bullets at target high. I hope the bulldozer beats the chainsaw to that one!

Hu

when i was quite young i was out with my dad getting firewood he was bucking a cedar tree and he told me to come look it was a bat.
they sure have strange wings
ruberish

Looks like a 404 to me

It is something like that. For some reason i remember 450 but i really don't know much about skidder's. my buddy skadill on youtube told me what i was a while back but i can't remember the exact number. He also told me what engine was in it which i also can't remember. I know it was a detroit though.

While turning a piece of ash on the lathe I saw a flash in the wood, but felt none of the rap that usually happens when the chisel hits metal. It was a 50 calibre lead ball, about 90 rings from the bark. I could not figure out when the shot happened, but there was no sign of injury in the sapwood. I stopped turning the outside of the bowl right there and hollowed out the inside to save the cross-sectioned ball. It sold at the next art bowl show.

While preparing another bowl blank in a maple butt I sawed into some rusty barb wire that looked like it had been stamped from flat stock, sort of like a strip of paper cut with giant skip-tooth pinking shears.

Inside a hollow 3-foot diameter black walnut I found a fence post, which might have been the heart of the tree. It had a 6-inch long hinge pin for hanging a gate.

Also assorted screw eyes, nails, ceramic insulators, rocks and non-related plants.... Don

Latest posts

Back