What have you picked up from here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learned that I really like cutting wood,talking wood ,Having more saws than I could possibly need,Always having to deal with people looking at me weird when I tell them one of my hobbies is chainsaws and related items,But enjoying it when they need trees downed or wood removed.:rock:

I learned -

You can never have enough saws.:rock:

You can (and should) mod the muffler on everything.

You can find any thing about any saw if ask.

I have learned ever thing I know above putting gas and oil in one and cranking it. I have owned two saws for the last thirty years (Remington Super 754 and Homelite XL2). About five years ago the XL2 quit oiling (bought it new at walmart in 1980 for $49.00 and tax). I tried to figure out what was wrong with the oiler and fix it, (still ran good) but could not determine what the problem was so it went to the salvage yard. From that I have move to the point where I buy old saws from dealers and repair them (have twenty-five or twenty-six running and about fifty others (some for parts, some I will repair and some junk). I am retired and everybody needs some hobby. I can now sharpen a chain that will cut unbelievable good, rebuild a carb. to the point where my pro mac 10-10 s will crank on one pull after setting for two weeks. I have learned how to analyze the problem by reading post on this site. I also have learned about indexing spark plugs. I have got an Echo tachometer on order and a fitting that screws in the spark plug hole to use for leak down and vacuum test. I have read all the post from #1 to present that I thought would help me learn more about saws. So to end this long winded post I will say thanks to all who have posted answers to questions here. Tom

Some great advice just the other week from Lakeside, using a ultrasonic cleaner for my saws airfilters, Thank you.
Not to put any web links in my post.
And you guys drink relly cheep beer.
Thank you all

What have I picked up from here ?

First. I found out that this is where I spend most of my free time.

This seems like the right crowd to hang with.

The amount of chainsaw knowledge here can't be found anywhere else.

There are folks here that will do just about anything for any of us.

And I can change my avatar anytime I like.;)

This is me jammin to Kumbaya. ~ :rockn:

what I picked up?
1- there's other people in the world that think a saw can cut better then it does when factory stock.(and they know how to make it happen)
2-even though I can grind & file a mean round ground, learning to file square really is worth the effort
3-a lot of ball busting goes on here, but there ain't a person here that wouldn't help you in a heartbeat.
4-finally, some of the folks here think there are only 3 kinds of saws worth a crap, but the majority here like all chainsaws:)

Actually a lot of the tech stuff that Lakeside53 has posted here has been the most beneficial to me. Since he is used to what most West Coast guys need and are lookin' for. But that's just me bein' selfish.:help:

Gary

Mr. Lakeside is a legend in his own time. Just his patience in dealing with some of our obvious questions amazes me.

Oh yeah, Im also obsessed with chainsaws and other small engines. thank you to all of you that make this forum awesome.

Boboak- rep'd you for that post, that was well said!

Here are some of the things I've learned:
1. you need a saw for each and every limb on the tree (and some spares wouldn't hurt)
2. they still make red saws (but they don't sell them anywhere near me)
3. Tinkering with saws is just as much fun as building jeeps and working on pickups
4. There are a lot of smart people on here willing to help anyone every day. Thanks for that!

Brad

What have you picked up from here?

A lot more than I've put down.

Mostly an appreciation for all of the people who make this site great :clap:

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge, views and experience. :bowdown:

Actually a lot of the tech stuff that Lakeside53 has posted here has been the most beneficial to me.

Mr. Lakeside is a legend in his own time. Just his patience in dealing with some of our obvious questions amazes me.

I'll second that thought Andy your knowledge, willingness to share and patience are astounding. :clap: I aplaud you sir you are a saint (mumble/coughing Bernard) :D oops I mean a saint sir. Thank you

Let's see, I've learned:
1. How to do a muffler mod.
2. Even numbered Stihls are much nicer than odd numbered ones.
3. Husky guys will never admit to liking a Stihl and visa versa.
4. Andy knows everything, really.
5. Don't use sarcasm before your first 100 posts.

Oh one more:
Dolmar 5100S's are better than sex. At least for the guys who ain't getting any.

Last edited:
More stuff than I can print. That there are some genuine people to go to and get help. And most of all how did I ever get so far with out this site? :notrolls2:

Latest posts

Back