What is everyones favorite landing saw???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubberducky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wanted to know what everyones favorite landing saw is?? I usually use a 440 mag with a 30 in" bar, and a 56 on hand for backup. Whats your combos?

Just wanted to know what everyones favorite landing saw is?? I usually use a 440 mag with a 30 in" bar, and a 56 on hand for backup. Whats your combos?

You nailed it, the 44 can take the abuse a chaser can dole out like no other - Sam

Been known to use anything from a 2065 j'red to 298 husky's. Rarely do you see a bar on a loggers truck around here over 20" long, even on a landing saw.

Been known to use anything from a 2065 j'red to 298 husky's. Rarely do you see a bar on a loggers truck around here over 20" long, even on a landing saw.

It definetely varies from region to region.......even over here on the west coast we could d#%@ near get away with a 20" bar now....they wont let you cut anything makes you smile when it hits the ground anymore. :chainsaw:

My dads cut wood all around Upstate NY since the mid-80's and has always ran 20" bars.

Its to the point now that we are getting to cutting big "field" pine and scrub sugar maples so a longer bar is becoming a viable option.

right now i would likely use a 044 &ms440 or one of my 460 jugged 044s.

back in the day we used j-red 920s and 930s sometimes we would use the 288s.

most of the time they had 24" bars but there ware some 30",22"&20s on the set too.

for bucking pulpwood into short PW we ran lots of 630 and homie 360s way way back.:greenchainsaw:

Sorry for my ignorence - but why do landing saws take such a beating? :confused:

Imagine being tossed on a skidder, taken for a ride all day, buck dirty logs and occasionally cut a rootball. Put away dirty with a loose chain and wake up the next day and do it all over again.

when your running a logging job saws should be at the bottom of your worry list.

it is all about the production. there is not time to baby a saw or put up with a fussy saw.

if you buy 16 saws for $1,000 each that is only $16K.

that is peanuts compared to a $280K skidder, loader ,felling machine, trucks,trailers and your going to need several of each to get anything done.

typically my job would have three to five skidders , two large loaders, two short log trucks with loaders, two short log trucks, 4 tractor& long pole trailer rigs,two large felling machines and one bell saw. one POL service truck.

and this don't even count the chipping job--:greenchainsaw:

Sorry for my ignorence - but why do landing saws take such a beating? :confused:

Run hard and put away wet...day after day. Chain is dull, aint my damn saw, someone else can sharpen it. Landings are not the place to be sitting on your ass sharpening a chain, boss man aint gonna tolerate it as it's a bottle neck.

Clean the filter? Worry about it some other time. Brush off the fuel/oil caps? Not a chance. Chains loose? To bad. AV's are toast? Why the hell do you think the saws up here and not down the with fellers?

Most abused saws around...perhaps worse than a Residential Crews Stumping saw, which doesn't see anywhere near the number of hours per day that a landing saw sees.

Depends on the landing. the #1 saw usually is a big buck saw, but old beat up leaky saws with no filters or chain brakes or mounts make good landing saws, good for bumping knots & trimming trucks. the type 044/046...

on our jobs we normally had at least three saws for every set. so if one was dulled or out of gas you could just grab another and keep cutting. if things were timed right you could get far enough ahead of the skidder and the truck to sharpen the saw ,tighten the chain and gas & oil the saw up.

now the pulpwood set was a bit more difficult as you had much more bucking to do and those short haul truck wouldn't be gone very long so you had to kick @ss and get it bucked in a hurry. cause another truck was just around the corner and the skidder be a rolling in!:chainsaw:

Why Twinkle of course! I was the chaser for our two days of logging a slide about a year ago. I took care of Twinkle and Twinkle performed well.

In the real world, the chasers around here seem to try to keep the saws sharp and running well. But then they send them into the brush where the rigging crew claims it has a bent bar, cuts with it and sends it back to the landing with a dull chain. The saying is, "I send it down sharp, it always comes back dull."

440s with a 32 inch bar are the favorite. One chaser was pleased to have a 441 arrive last Fall. He was considering Barbie Stickers to keep the crew at bay. I told him not to use My Little Pony. :)

Latest posts

Back