What is it with chainsaws and eBay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homelitefan

Homelitefan

ArboristSite Lurker
Perhaps I am just unlucky, but I felt the need to report my recent saw buying experiences on eBay.

First up was a pro Mac 10-10, rare in this country. Bought, paid for, arrived as described. Good deal.

Next was a Stihl 07. Bought, paid for, then the fun began. Over the next month, the seller came up with every excuse under the sun. A child in hospital (later admitted to be untrue), 3 weeks of promises about shipping, then a fortnight of silence. No saw. So a refund sought, and given by eBay. Then a snarky message by the seller that his father had died and that I should have been patient. Some people are just unbelievable.

Most recently, a Pioneer 650 came up. Very rare here. So I made bids, then it disappeared. Seller claimed he'd got an offer and accepted. Fair enough. Next day, he gets in touch, asking what I'd pay. I told him, but pointed out he had already accepted another offer. At which point he became...childish. Name calling, accusations, fun stuff.

So are eBay saw sellers just generally idiots, or am I unlucky?

marti384

marti384

ArboristSite Guru
I'd say 10-20% of my used saw or used part purchases on eBay end up with contact needing to be made with the seller about inaccurate descriptions. The worst I had was the description two separate times from different sellers "of ran when last used." One of those saws was missing a carburetor, the other had the piston in about 20 pieces. I also have had problems with "includes all parts shown in the picture" and then having obvious things like 2 of the 3 gas tanks from the pictures not show up. I have had everyone make everything right so far, and I do think most people are honest

AVB

ArboristSite Operative
Don't forget Craiglist group too. I have heard of horror stories from so my customers about their dealing with Craiglist.

It getting to where you can't even trust some regular online vendors either. I recently purchase 3 Titan torque wrenches based on my emails with Summit Racing. I was assured that they did both left and right torquing by simply flipping a switch. Well they didn't so I have sent them back to Summit for a full refund hopefully.

I have found out now that even those cheap HF version can converted to LH but in doing so I will need two of size in order to do LH and RH torquing.

a. palmer jr.
Ebay selling and buying is about like buying and selling anywhere, you have honest people and dishonest people. When I sell on ebay I try not to brag the item up too much because it sets you up to have to take a return when it isn't perfect. It's best to tell them and show them what they are getting because they can send it back if it's not as described. I have several saws that I use but figure they're not good enough to sell so I just keep them. If they're a little junky I suppose you can sell them for parts or repair, as is. There also are chainsaw perfectionists who want every part and every little bolt to be OEM so I usually add a disclaimer that the saw is sold as a wood cutter, not a collector's item..

fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Don't forget Craiglist group too. I have heard of horror stories from so my customers about their dealing with Craiglist.

It getting to where you can't even trust some regular online vendors either. I recently purchase 3 Titan torque wrenches based on my emails with Summit Racing. I was assured that they did both left and right torquing by simply flipping a switch. Well they didn't so I have sent them back to Summit for a full refund hopefully.

I have found out now that even those cheap HF version can converted to LH but in doing so I will need two of size in order to do LH and RH torquing.
What are you torquing that has left hand threads?

TBS

I have chainsaws and chainsaw accessories.
The worst experience I had when I bought from ebay was when I bought my 5020 is because usps delayed delivery, lost it, and damaged it worse than what it was to begin with and paypal wouldn't pay the seller until the item was received. Sometimes when dealing with Craigslist buyers and sellers you may literally get robbed, it's happened more than a few times here in Fresno.

TBS

I have chainsaws and chainsaw accessories.
Wasn't there a member on here that sold a "running"vintage saw to a another member but took parts off before they sent it out for delivery. It was an ebay purchase i think.

a. palmer jr.
There are scams both on the buyer and seller end of it. I suspect a fellow "bought" a saw off me, cut his firewood with it then asked for a refund claiming it didn't have any compression and wouldn't start. When I received it back I fueled it up and it started on the third pull. This buyer is on my don't sell to list. I have about a dozen in ten years that I don't deal with. I'm sure they could start a different account with ebay if they wanted and I'd have to sell to them unless I found out...

jeffbecky1

jeffbecky1

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
I just received a saw bought on eBay that came in a plastic tub that was zip-tied shut. However, they did NOT put any packing material in the tub to keep the saw from rolling around AND had the bar removed AND the chain laying in a pile loose in the tub! The chain and the bar rolled around inside the tub rubbing up against the saw all the way from Michigan to Kentucky! There are bits of paint chipped off here and there on the saw because of this.

ssm1699

ssm1699

ArboristSite Operative
I can honestly say that with both of my stihls that I bought on flea bay, that I have been lucky and gotten what I had bought. Including the rebuild, I have $330 in my 2 saws, not including chains that I have bought for them. I consider chains to be consumables.

67L36Driver
I've purchased upwards of thirty saws on evilbay. Going in I figure each is a crap shoot.
This Wright C-70 looks nice right?
d89924fad1a41ddf4d9634904ce1c38a.jpg

Insides are total crap from moisture.

I left appropriate feedback.

jeffbecky1

jeffbecky1

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
I just received a saw bought on eBay that came in a plastic tub that was zip-tied shut. However, they did NOT put any packing material in the tub to keep the saw from rolling around AND had the bar removed AND the chain laying in a pile loose in the tub! The chain and the bar rolled around inside the tub rubbing up against the saw all the way from Michigan to Kentucky! There are bits of paint chipped off here and there on the saw because of this.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70

Latest posts