What is it with chainsaws and eBay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What gets me is when I get saws in, and they still have fuel in them. Since 911 that is a big deal with the TSA.
If you leak something on UPS, Fed Ex, USPS or the likes' million dollar machines, the whole line gets shut down.
They call in a hazmat team to find out what exactly the liquid is, then do a long investigation, and visit you and your company. Then they are required to send a certified letter to the president of your company stating the case.
If it's been sent on an airplane the FAA gets involved. They will fine the crap out of your company.
One of our UPS guys once next day aired some paint epoxy that leaked. The fine ended up being $63K !
He didn't get fired either! Crazy stuff......

OTOH: You sometimes get a nice clean bargin. Mount bar/chain, fill with fluids and cut wood.
360261f4652d05bd9f5ae15a070b76cd.jpg

New b/c, fuel lines. 54 bux delivered.

It's certainly odd. I'm a long time user of eBay for all kinds of things, for 10 years or more. Sure there have always been idiots, time wasters, but in 10 years I can say they have been few and far between.

Perhaps my experiences with saw buying have just been unlucky. It hasn't put me of as such, mainly because over here, interesting saws are few and far between. We have a Craigslist equivalent, but it isn't used by many people.

I agree with the member who says that if you can't afford to lose your money, don't be in the game. That's an attitude I've carried with me for a long time. Thankfully, that notion isn't an issue.

Ah well, thanks for your interesting thoughts.

All the best.

I just received a saw bought on eBay that came in a plastic tub that was zip-tied shut. However, they did NOT put any packing material in the tub to keep the saw from rolling around AND had the bar removed AND the chain laying in a pile loose in the tub! The chain and the bar rolled around inside the tub rubbing up against the saw all the way from Michigan to Kentucky! There are bits of paint chipped off here and there on the saw because of this.
I believe I bought a lot of used cylinders from the same Michigan seller, no packaging in a plastic tub zip tied shut. They luckily didn't have to far to go to get to me.

That's too nice a saw to be shipped that way. The delivery service should refuse to ship something packed like that because it looks bad on them when it arrives broken.
It came USPS ground. I've sent email to seller about this. No response yet
I believe I bought a lot of used cylinders from the same Michigan seller, no packaging in a plastic tub zip tied shut. They luckily didn't have to far to go to get to me.
was the seller name eclipse?

1st Ebay saw was an 028 Super. The fuel tank leaked where the two halves were joined by the factory. Seller turned into an idiot.
2nd, 346XP ran great, leaked oil like a Detroit. Had been punched in the front and broke the oil tank. Sold as is, so I didn't say anything. Bowtie ended up with it.
3rd, 350 Husky, suppose to run great, toasted cylinder. Seller turned into idiot again.
4th, 261XP, nice saw, like new, no issues.
5th 346XP, nice saw, still own and use it.
6th 261XP, suppose to run great, toasted cylinder and plenty of problems. Seller was great and refunded 1/2.
7th 272XP, seems to be a good saw, haven't put a lot of time on it.
8th Partner S50, nice saw, no issues.
9th Partner 5000, it was ok, a little weak, but represented ok.
and several parts saws that were just that.

I'd say 80% of them were shipped with oil in the tank. I even told one guy to drain the oil, (based on past experiences), and he still didn't do it. He said, " yep, my wife wraps em up real good in a bag." That's great, who wants a saw completely covered in oil when they pull it from the box?

Only problem I have had was with Cutomchainsawparts or whatever he calls himself now. I know mistakes are made, but can't figure out why it cost me $15 shipping because his dumb ass sent the crankcase half for another saw.

I've tried to message this guy questions about parts and he never responds. Guess he doesn't want my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had quite a few dealings with customchainsawparts, only on small items and never an issue. Although I did get a 28" b&c from him that took forever to get here, I ordered some bar plates from him at the same time and they came almost a week before the b&c. Weird

Latest posts

Back