What is it with chainsaws and eBay?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried to message this guy questions about parts and he never responds. Guess he doesn't want my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has gotten to the point that a few negative feedbacks don't matter since he has a zillion. But, I don't necessarily care if he doesn't respond. Screwing me out of $15 because he shipped the wrong part is wrong.
He is a cheap classless character as near as I can tell.

It is sad but true. No longer can a seller be judged on his initial service, but how he goes about fixing his mistakes.

My experience with buying used saws on Ebay has mostly been miserable. You don't get to see it before you buy and there's always something wrong. Most sellers seem to be of the "looking for a greater fool" variety. if anything goes wrong and you need to communicate with the seller and/or Ebay, you are forced to use Ebay's messaging system which seems to be designed to make it difficult to communicate. Sellers are essentially anonymous. I almost always pay immediately at purchase time, worst case an hour later after a trip to Walgreens for a burner card. Four or five days later I get a notice that the seller "has shipped," but all that really means is that he has requested a label. Days later he manages to get off his dead butt and go to the post office. I hear whiners here complaining about the post office but they always get my stuff to me in two or three days. It's a sad state when the post office is the quickest part of the supply chain. For tools and parts, I use Amazon whenever possible. chainsawr.com is very good too. Ebay is my last resort.

I end up letting a lot of stuff go on ebay that i would like, but just seems too risky. As said above, phrases like "ran when i used it last" or "pictures can describe it better than i can" are red flags for me. I usually only buy parts and not whole saws on the bay. The one time i did, the saw was described as nice low hour starts and runs great. It arrived, saw dod start and run (not great) pulled muffler p/c were scored badly. Seller tried to say that it was normal wear and tear, which is pf course not true. He ended up being cool and refunded 1/2 the price, but its still just not worth it to me.

My experience with buying used saws on Ebay has mostly been miserable. You don't get to see it before you buy and there's always something wrong. Most sellers seem to be of the "looking for a greater fool" variety. if anything goes wrong and you need to communicate with the seller and/or Ebay, you are forced to use Ebay's messaging system which seems to be designed to make it difficult to communicate. Sellers are essentially anonymous. I almost always pay immediately at purchase time, worst case an hour later after a trip to Walgreens for a burner card. Four or five days later I get a notice that the seller "has shipped," but all that really means is that he has requested a label. Days later he manages to get off his dead butt and go to the post office. I hear whiners here complaining about the post office but they always get my stuff to me in two or three days. It's a sad state when the post office is the quickest part of the supply chain. For tools and parts, I use Amazon whenever possible. chainsawr.com is very good too. Ebay is my last resort.

Every seller on ebay is not the same. I don't dump saws off on others. Most of the saws that I sold I would have been happy if there wasn't a bid, I just keep it myself. I've sold some really nice saws that I really hated to part with but it's nice to have a little spare money also..

I end up letting a lot of stuff go on ebay that i would like, but just seems too risky. As said above, phrases like "ran when i used it last" or "pictures can describe it better than i can" are red flags for me. I usually only buy parts and not whole saws on the bay. The one time i did, the saw was described as nice low hour starts and runs great. It arrived, saw dod start and run (not great) pulled muffler p/c were scored badly. Seller tried to say that it was normal wear and tear, which is pf course not true. He ended up being cool and refunded 1/2 the price, but its still just not worth it to me.
You could have gotten all your money refunded if you'd opened a case against the seller. He wouldn't even have to agree on it, ebay or paypal will jerk the money out of his account and send it to you.

You could have gotten all your money refunded if you'd opened a case against the seller. He wouldn't even have to agree on it, ebay or paypal will jerk the money out of his account and send it to you.
Yeah, i thought about that, and wouldve if the guy was uncool about it but he wasnt. It does in fact start and run well enough, and its pretty clean and im happy with what i paid after the refund. I also offered to return it no harm no foul and he refunded so i think it worked out ok.

I bought a Husky 575 crankshaft on Ebay last month. When it arrived I tried to install it and found the flywheel side to be 16mm diameter instead of 15mm, the size of the 6202 bearing in went into. That's when I discovered that Ebay's messaging system makes the Tower of Babel look like a trivial communications glitch. It took two weeks of back and forth to agree on a refund. The seller didn't want me to return it to him. It took Ebay two or three days to email me that the refund would appear on my credito, but said it might take a month before the funds were actually transferred. It took three weeks. So it ended up being five weeks of frustration with nothing to show for it. Who needs that? I ordered a fuel line for a Husky 340 from partstree dot com on Tuesday night and had it in my PO box on Thursday morning. If anything goes wrong they make it right in a courteous manner.

The ebay frustration you guys speak of does happen but if you buy and sell a bunch of times it turns out to be just a small percentage. I've bought probably 50 chainsaw parts in the last 6 months or so and haven't had to return anything. If I had something that was marginal I would either make it work (like the muffler I bought from Huztl and had to re-drill holes) or throw it away like the Chinese fuel lines for the 290, not worth the arguing for the $5 the fuel lines cost. I don't normally buy high dollar items on the internet.

I just got off the phone with the eBay seller. He explained to me that he had to leave suddenly on a business trip and left the packing of the sold saws to someone he thought he could trust. He assured me that he will not let something like this happen again.

I just received a saw bought on eBay that came in a plastic tub that was zip-tied shut. However, they did NOT put any packing material in the tub to keep the saw from rolling around AND had the bar removed AND the chain laying in a pile loose in the tub! The chain and the bar rolled around inside the tub rubbing up against the saw all the way from Michigan to Kentucky! There are bits of paint chipped off here and there on the saw because of this.
I just spot my cereal out reading this

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Great topic about about buying and selling on E-bay.

I have bought lots of chainsaws on E-bay but I really don't expect too much, and won't pay too much either. But I have been pleasantly surprized when all I have to do for a 2016 model chainsaw is put an an ignition coil in it, and it runs like new, and looks like new. I can't say I have ever been really dissapointed, so maybe I'm one of the Lucky ones. Lol

I also luv reading some of the descriptions, some are just too funny, Like "Chainsaw for parts, missing lots of parts" !

i use to sell carb tools on ebay. always tried to make the customer happy there have been time that i would get a lot of order and the wrong carb tool got in the wrong box. customer sent pic and i told them i mess up and i was sorry tell them to keep that carb tool and ill send another one for there time never got a negative feedback

what i hate is when they list something and they dont have it in stock. they have to order it and then ship it and it never get to you on time. i told ebay they need a system that requires them to have the item in stock or alot tell you they have to order item before shipment

I just got off the phone with the eBay seller. He explained to me that he had to leave suddenly on a business trip and left the packing of the sold saws to someone he thought he could trust. He assured me that he will not let something like this happen again.

Damn Innuit kids, did you at least get a greasy truckers cap and a coffee cup?

I sell on eBay only the older saws that only serious collectors will be bidding on. So far, I've had good results. I don't sell too often, but I've been selling under the same username (Mastermind_Worksaws) for about six years, and have 100% perfect feedback. I'll be listing a Homelite 750, and a 925 soon.

Back