What is the best time of year to buy a log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtStryker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a log splitter. I'm new to this forum and have been doing a ton of reading and learning a lot. I have been renting splitters for when ever I've needed one, but I've come to the conclusion that it would be more cost effective and much more convient to just own one myself. I'm not in a rush to buy and I have more than enough wood split to hold me for a while. I've looked for a good used one but they are very rare and usually snapped up quickly. I'm partial to the DHT 28-ton splitter, I was wondering if there is a time of year where you would get the best deal. Should I wait until the spring and try and get a seasonal left over or is now the best time to buy. I've never shopped for a splitter before and I'm just trying to educate my self. I saw a Bomgaars flyer with a 35-ton DHT for 1499.00, but I live in the northeast and they are no where near close enough to me. I'm hoping a deal like that pops up in my area. 35-ton is more than I need but that deal would be hard to resist. Thanks for any advise you can give me. I apprecaite the help.

yea it is nice to get a deal but even on sale maybe save a hundred or two tops.get the post office change of address coupons and get 10 percent.its not like you are going to buy ten of them in the next 2 years.as long as you buy quality you can't go wrong.
at most 10 percent off in my area never get to close out prices.but then again when I bought my 35 ton along time ago they were never over 1000. but it has been worth every cent and then some.

The 22 ton DHT and Huskees(Countyline) usually have sales thru the year with the best deals seem to happen late fall thru the winter.

The 28 tn DHT might not have a sale unless Lowes or someone gives it as it is not the budget minded splitter and they don't sell as many of them. That being said, that 28 ton looks like a great splitter based on specs compared to other manufacturer similar size machines. It is not too heavy, is very fast and has the commercial Kohler. If I had to do it over again I would buy the DHT 28 ton just to gain faster cycle times. My Huskee has been great though, no complaints.

I have even considered selling the Huskee, but at this point I might as well leave well enough alone.

I think when you have the money to spend is the best time. They usually don't go on much of a sale around here any time of the year so I picked mine up this spring when I could get the Menards 11% rebate.

Doesn't Lowe's price match? If you have a real flyer and it is still current, might be worth an ask.

They only price match on local adds. Trust me first thing I did was check their price matching policy.

Back