What is the best truly non-stick cookware?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Reaction score
Folks,

We have all seen the goofy informercials about non-stick cookware. Of course most take the claims with a grain of salt. When our sons were young my beautiful ex-wife sold Pampered Chef. That stuff was not even very good. I realize many folks like cast iron but I am not a huge fan. It goes without saying the goofy ads of flipping an egg in a dry pan are crazy but what are folks using? I would like some real life experiences. I see the "made in" stuff has good reviews.

I am the world's worst cook. I grew up using a cheap steel pan that Grandma would cycle to the hound dogs when it's time was done. I now cannot even find a pan to fry a darn egg in. Yes I know the best tools in the hands of a poor operator are useless........I am a poor operator when it comes to simple cooking.

We have a mix at the house. She likes stainless, I like cast iron. We have one of those copper ceramic pans. She uses it for eggs quite often. Seems to work. Every now and then she gives it a light coat of olive oil then heats it up on medium heat for a while. Not unlike seasoning a cast iron pan, but not as hot for as long. I haven't cooked with it much, but the "non stick" surface is wearing out. I'm sure it won't be long till she's getting another one. I still prefer cast.

We have a mix at the house. She likes stainless, I like cast iron. We have one of those copper ceramic pans. She uses it for eggs quite often. Seems to work. Every now and then she gives it a light coat of olive oil then heats it up on medium heat for a while. Not unlike seasoning a cast iron pan, but not as hot for as long. I haven't cooked with it much, but the "non stick" surface is wearing out. I'm sure it won't be long till she's getting another one. I still prefer cast.
try a carbon steel pan. sort of happy medium between cast and stainless.

this is the brand i have. theyre sweet. not “nonstick” like the cheap coated crap, but with a litte butter or oil its just as good imo.
B8D42422-EE2D-4C36-8B49-DC7301A15183.png

this is the brand i have. theyre sweet. not “nonstick” like the cheap coated crap, but with a litte butter or oil its just as good imo.
View attachment 1061458
I'd never get it past the wife to replace all her stainless stuff. Heck she tossed all my copper bottom reveer pots and pans when we moved in together. Was pretty pissed about that.

Cast iron and Carbon steel. Stainless steel for boiling water or highly acidic foods.

They last forever, they're non-stick if you know what you're doing(which isn't difficult to learn/apply). After my wife spent $250 on the second set of super-duper-non-stick-brand-of-the-month-junk-**** in 5 years I said enough. I started using the CI I already had then added a few carbon steel pans and they're fantastic. Wife likes those because they're lighter than CI but still season and are built to last.

I'm done buying throw away flavor of the month 'non stick' pans. None of them stand up to heavy use. Several of my CI pieces were cast in the early 1900's. Still cooking and still sliding eggs around. I will probably pass them down to my children.

Cast iron and Carbon steel. Stainless steel for boiling water or highly acidic foods.

They last forever, they're non-stick if you know what you're doing(which isn't difficult to learn/apply). After my wife spent $250 on the second set of super-duper-non-stick-brand-of-the-month-junk-**** in 5 years I said enough. I started using the CI I already had then added a few carbon steel pans and they're fantastic. Wife likes those because they're lighter than CI but still season and are built to last.

I'm done buying throw away flavor of the month 'non stick' pans. None of them stand up to heavy use. Several of my CI pieces were cast in the early 1900's. Still cooking and still sliding eggs around. I will probably pass them down to my children.
thats the issue with current cast iron, its a stright up sand mold finish, and that leads to stuff building up. i have on old 12” erie cast iron skillet. smooth as glass and cooks great. the newer lodge and other stuff sort of works but definitey lacks the detail that erie/griswold pans had

thats the issue with current cast iron, its a stright up sand mold finish, and that leads to stuff building up. i have on old 12” erie cast iron skillet. smooth as glass and cooks great. the newer lodge and other stuff sort of works but definitey lacks the detail that erie/griswold pans had
I got a 14" lodge given to me. First thing it needed was 80 gritt worked down to 200 gritt in the palm sander. Much better results getting it seasoned that way. Just a waste of time. Didn't used to have to do that to cast pans.

Folks,

We have all seen the goofy informercials about non-stick cookware. Of course most take the claims with a grain of salt. When our sons were young my beautiful ex-wife sold Pampered Chef. That stuff was not even very good. I realize many folks like cast iron but I am not a huge fan. It goes without saying the goofy ads of flipping an egg in a dry pan are crazy but what are folks using? I would like some real life experiences. I see the "made in" stuff has good reviews.
i tried a couple of those info 'stick every time' non-stick pans! imo bunch a 💩! for eggs! but i did not give up... got more fry pans than i care to admit. one day on America's Test Kitchen... they had a fry pan shootout! they subjected their lot of 12 or so candidates to many tests. one of them that did catch my eye... was release quality/characteristics. and they were talking about eggs. only one brand won! it was the OXO line of fry pans. that was good enuff for me, and i got an 8" and 10". they are perfect, totally ideal... imo for doing eggs. slow, soft and in butter. never fails. my 10" pan is dedicated for eggs only! NO deviation. i will do spuds reheat etc in the 8". neither pan ever sees high heat. i hand wash both or either. and both look like brand new still today! also, when the show does any frying... they always use an OXO pan. u can google the show that did the non-stick fry pan shoot-out! if you can't find it, prob shouldn't be in the kitchen any who...! [lol, j/k!] :givebeer:

prob the world's best non stick fry pan... by OXO
1688920734128.png

amazon carries them. OXO is a major cooking supply company

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Anodized-PFOA-Free-Nonstick-Skillet/dp/B07YLJZRDR

I've gone from the old teflon pans to the newish ceramic pans. They stay slippery for a few years at least. I've had mine 2 years and the eggs still slide out. I do use a bit of butter for flavor in the pan.
i have some old teflons up at ranch. also, an 8" OXO. i cook slow and low in the old ones. works ok. and baby the oxo. eggs only! and still in orig pakg... keep it wipe-only clean once cleaned.

I am the world's worst cook. I grew up using a cheap steel pan that Grandma would cycle to the hound dogs when it's time was done. I now cannot even find a pan to fry a darn egg in. Yes I know the best tools in the hands of a poor operator are useless........I am a poor operator when it comes to simple cooking.
i have copper/stainless Revere pans hanging in my over-butcher-blocks pot rack. even they stick. but not the OXO...

i like cast, too! i have a couple dedicated for 'fish fry ies' only! i ran into some dudes living in a high end palace over in River Oaks section of town years ago. we got around to talking about cooking... and then eggs. and then eggs over gas, only! i took note. in general, hard to match an elec element with the control and gentleness of a low, blue flame... but, with an OXO non-stick and its thick alum botton heat sink... on low... and on elec... comes as close as possible!

1688921557755.png

Back