What is the big concern with Stihl vibration levels?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"..But the whole purpose of this thread was that i do not believe there is that much of a difference in between chainsaw brands to justify the hype that people give it."

In my limited Chainsaw experience I have also found very little difference as well. I'm also not 20 something (double that):( and have spent year driving nails and grasping, lifting, pulling and running high power - power tools. I cut firewood with a few friends and have run a lot of pro saws and won't trade my stihls for another brand. I want a saw that feels the same as the day I got it even with a few years of work on it. I have found to me some other brands get mushier and mushier as time goes on. I don't even care for the 441 because I don't get any "feedback" from the saw.... Too mushy for me. WDO

Last edited:
wow...it never ceases to amaze me out how thin skinned people are over the internet. If you had been around here long enough you would know that for the most part i am here to have a good time and share and collect technical information and techniques. not to aggravate or bash people. a person an a public forum has to be able to sense sarcasm and humor.

Trust me i like the advances that have evolved in chainsaw technology and PPE. and i don't wanna go back to running things the way they were. I like av systems on my chainsaws and i think it would be great if they could eliminate all saw vibration. But the whole purpose of this thread was that i do not believe there is that much of a difference in between chainsaw brands to justify the hype that people give it. stihl, husky, dolmar, shindiawa, they are all great saws, if one tickles your fansy more than another then run it.

I kinda look at the chainsaw vibration levels about the same as i do as teh belief that a 361 is a big, heavy, powerful saw. :dizzy: but to each his own, if it makes that big of a difference and if it is important to which saws you purchase than i can fully understand that.

I think I and many misunderstood your initial post as you were stating:"who needs AV?" When in fact I assume you agree with the AV technology in all major brands, just that you don't think any one manufacturer is heads above the rest as doing it better. Am I right? If that is your point then I do agree with you all the way.

"..But the whole purpose of this thread was that i do not believe there is that much of a difference in between chainsaw brands to justify the hype that people give it."

In my limited Chainsaw experience I have also found very little difference as well. I'm also not 20 something (double that):( and have spent year driving nails and grasping, lifting, pulling and running high power - power tools. I cut firewood with a few friends and have run a lot of pro saws and won't trade my stihls for another brand. I want a saw that feels the same as the day I got it even with a few years of work on it. I have found to me some other brands get mushier and mushier as time goes on. I don't even care for the 441 because I don't get any "feedback" from the saw.... Too mushy for me. WDO
I ran a ms260 the other day. The av felt good to my hands but the connection between the powerhead and the bar felt mushy like you describe. It isn't a big deal on a saw of that size, but if the av on the stihl's with longer bars are also mushy then I would not be real excited about the bar droop one might experiance.

I certainly didn't intend to make this thread anything more than it was.

The original poster (undeniably a skilled and experienced sawyer) said he can't see a difference in vibration levels in say a 660 and a 395, both great saws.

I replied that I own both and for me there is a difference. (Of course both much more civilized than older generation saws....)

Naturally it's up to each person to decide for themselves, I don't care what anyone else runs :clap::clap:.....

Last edited:
I think I and many misunderstood your initial post as you were stating:"who needs AV?" When in fact I assume you agree with the AV technology in all major brands, just that you don't think any one manufacturer is heads above the rest as doing it better. Am I right? If that is your point then I do agree with you all the way.

Ive ran rigid mounted saws, and even my 056 MAG II, and they really vibrate compared to modern saws. I definitely like av systems. but like i said i think the major companies are close enough that the difference (atleast to me-not necessarily everyone) is negligible.

I certainly didn't intend to make this thread anything more than it was.

The original poster (undeniably a skilled and experienced sawyer) said he can't see a difference in vibration levels in say a 660 and a 395, both great saws.

I replied that I own both and for me there is a difference. (Of course both much more civilized than older generation saws....)

Naturally it's up to each person to decide for themselves, I don't care what anyone else runs :clap::clap:.....

There we go!! we are moving in the right direction now.

you hit the nail on the head. I run stihl saws, but i have ran just as many hours on husky's. And had pretty good luck with them. and ultimately i believe they are both great saws and it depends which one fits you better. for me it is a stihl. If the vibration levels of a stihl gets uncomfortable and a husky or dolmar does not bother me, then i'll switch to husky or dolmar.

It just amazes me how a comment such as "skirt wearing nancies" cuts straight to the bone with people although it was never directed at them personally.

Last edited:
quote from Wild Knight

I guess some guys rely on their Neanderthal instincts and go about life using only their brawn while bragging about their physical prowess to others. They compensate for their lack of intelligence by criticizing those who use their brains first and brawn second with indignant playground terms like Nancy. Whatever makes you feel all big and strong in your little sandbox.

Uuummm, how'bout this one

I guess some guys rely on their nancy-boy instincts and go about life using only their brains while not bragging about their physical prowess to others. They compensate for their great intelligence by criticizing those who use their brawn first and brain second with indignant playground terms like "There goes another Chuck Norris". Whatever makes you feel all small and weak in your big sandbox.

;):laugh:

I think the whole point of this thread has got misinterpretted. It was not to show off my neanderthal instincts or to bash anyone. I hear people all the time (both on her and in the logging community) make a big hype about how huskies are so much smoother than stihls. and i'm sorry but i do not see it. And in my personal beliefs i do not believe that there is enough of a difference for it to be as big of a deal as it is. But, if somebody believes that it makes a difference great for them, i just don't look at the difference in vibration levels as a main obstacle in between brands.

btw....don't refer or conclude that i am just a dumb logger that utilizes very little brain matter, couldn't be farther from the truth.

I didn't take anything negative from your original post whatsoever, it was very straight froward. :givebeer:

It just amazes me how a comment such as "skirt wearing nancies" cuts straight to the bone with people although it was never directed at them personally.

Sorry sIL...I gotta call you on this one. You made the following statement in your OP:

"but i personally believe that the people that whine and cry about how much stihl saws vibrate need to man up and quit being a bunch of skirt wearing nancies."​

And now you say it was never directed at anyone personally. So...who was it directed at? Was it directed at anyone who complains about the vibration in Stihl saws? Or do they specifically have to "whine or cry" about it?

C'mon, sIL...picture this conversation:

Bob: "People who use nail guns are pansies."
Fred: "Hey...I use a nail gun...who you calling a pansy?"
Bob: "Oh, not you Fred...it wasn't directed at you personally."

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to retract it or say 'sorry' about it, go ahead and do so. Or if you stand by your original statement, THEN STAND BY IT.

But don't hem and haw about it and say you were 'taken out of context.' It's what politicians do all the time, and that dog won't hunt here.

Sorry sIL...I gotta call you on this one. You made the following statement in your OP:

"but i personally believe that the people that whine and cry about how much stihl saws vibrate need to man up and quit being a bunch of skirt wearing nancies."​

And now you say it was never directed at anyone personally. So...who was it directed at? Was it directed at anyone who complains about the vibration in Stihl saws? Or do they specifically have to "whine or cry" about it?

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to retract it or say 'sorry' about it, go ahead and do so. Or if you stand by your original statement, THEN STAND BY IT.

But don't hem and haw about it and say you were 'taken out of context.' It's what politicians do all the time, and that dog won't hunt here.

did i say, "WOODIE, you are a skirt wearing nancy because, you whine about the way a saw vibrates?" i don't think so. Take a joke anyway... man...people get bent out of shape way too easy

my thought is, saws are a heck of alot better than they used to be. and i don't think the subject if worth whining about it....if you don't like the way that a saw runs, don't whine about it...just don't run it. easy as pie.

Last edited:
Uuummm, how'bout this one

I guess some guys rely on their nancy-boy instincts and go about life using only their brains while not bragging about their physical prowess to others. They compensate for their great intelligence by criticizing those who use their brawn first and brain second with indignant playground terms like "There goes another Chuck Norris". Whatever makes you feel all small and weak in your big sandbox.

Wow, that was so utterly profound and original that I just wet my Nancy panties and ran crying to mommy..... Well, maybe not. That's quite the sandbox insult retort. How'bout this one: I am rubber and you are glue. Everything bounces off me and sticks to you. ;):laugh:

:sword::kilt::sword::kilt::sword::kilt:

Woodie, for the record, I have always thought of you as a skirt wearing Nancy, girlie man, p****, 'tard, you get the idea.....

I always thought that 460's felt like they were about ready to fly apart. Does that count for vibration??? LOL:popcorn:

Hey sIL-when I was younger vibration didn't bother me. Now that I'm older I have to make an effort to preserve what I have left. It's all about perspective-you tend to see things from your angle. Can't dig you for that like some on here. Right now I run older stihls and honestly I don't see it ever being a problem. Then again, I don't cut all day long unless I'm milling. But I understand nerves and pain. I got a shoulder, arms, and a knee that are marginal(third rebuild on the knee). I might have to try one of those plastic saws-

I always thought that 460's felt like they were about ready to fly apart. Does that count for vibration??? LOL:popcorn:

really? due to the way that the engine revs out or just how they are put together? ive always had quite good luck with them, so im interested on what your thoughts are.

Hey sIL-when I was younger vibration didn't bother me. Now that I'm older I have to make an effort to preserve what I have left. It's all about perspective-you tend to see things from your angle. Can't dig you for that like some on here. Right now I run older stihls and honestly I don't see it ever being a problem. Then again, I don't cut all day long unless I'm milling. But I understand nerves and pain. I got a shoulder, arms, and a knee that are marginal(third rebuild on the knee). I might have to try one of those plastic saws-

I can completely understand that. It isn't like im saying run a husky or stihl or that we don't need av. If a person can tell a difference in between the brands and it is important to them then by all means run it. But like i said before i can't see the difference in them (could be due to a number of reasons) but i do not believe that it deserves the hype that it gets.

really? due to the way that the engine revs out or just how they are put together? ive always had quite good luck with them, so im interested on what your thoughts are.

I can completely understand that. It isn't like im saying run a husky or stihl or that we don't need av. If a person can tell a difference in between the brands and it is important to them then by all means run it. But like i said before i can't see the difference in them (could be due to a number of reasons) but i do not believe that it deserves the hype that it gets.

Just the way they are put together. I guess picking up a Husky felt like I was holding a tool in my hands afterwards. The 460 feels kinda whiz bangey to me, but that's me and my opinion. I cut a lot of timber on some bad ground with 460's and it was not all bad, I just don't really care for them after running Huskies.

But like i said before i can't see the difference in them (could be due to a number of reasons) but i do not believe that it deserves the hype that it gets.

Well, a couple of us tried to tell you that for at least a few of us at leat it's not hype at all, esp in the larger saws. It's the difference between running a saw for hours no problems, or with discomfort/pain.

To be frank(and I don't mean to offend you), I am not sure you were listening as you're mind seems pretty made up.

That's fine, and I envy you your young hands. My hands and wrists still take a beating many hours a week from certain stages of my work and are a bit nancy I guess.:)

Also, I want to make it clear that I am not dissing Stihls (I have four). E.g I think the 044/046/066 (and newer versions) saws are proven workhorses. And all Stihls 361 and on have a fine AV.

Last edited:
My position on the av is that a decent av is good enough. I don't have any big Stihls, only one is an 034 av and after growing up running junk crapsman with no av I don't even notice it vibrating at all. Maybe the bigger ones are bad, I wouldn't know. Why not wear gloves if it's an issue? What does vibrate and give you carpal tunnel was the big IR air ram I ran in the old foundry for a year and a half.

Or breakin down semi truck tires by hand,using an IR 3/4" air rattle gun to mount/unmount on the truck-trailers,"Nancy's" n "economic girly men" need not apply.
That bein said,Id rather work smarter,not harder.
ak4195

Latest posts

Back