What is the big concern with Stihl vibration levels?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use a saw everyday like some of you blokes but I can't tell the difference in vibe between an 880 and a 3120. The 3120 sounds to me a bit more turbine like (but maybe that's because I'm legally deaf (too much exposure to 70's rock music) so there is a perception of it being smoother and having less vibe but at the end of the day using either saw is tiring and gives me an excuse to down an extra couple of beers. Likewise with the 395 and the 660. I haven't used many saws smaller than this for an extended period so I can't really comment on them. My recently acquired 441 seems a bit mushy after using bigger saws.

The saw I can really notice the vibe on is my 076 AV Super. That sucker gave me preliminary 'white finger' (numbness on my trigger finger and thumb) after a couple of days of full on milling. The numbness was taking a week to disappear after I stopped milling . I tried a couple of different types of gloves and found a pair of gel padded gloves used by jackhammer operators that worked but I ended up adding an auxiliary throttle to the wrap handle. This works great and provides for a much more comfortable milling stance so have added a similar one using a motor cycle throttle to my 880.

The saw I can really notice the vibe on is my 076 AV Super. That sucker gave me preliminary 'white finger' (numbness on my trigger finger and thumb) after a couple of days of full on milling.

The older saws like the 076 and such are what most are reffering to when vibe levels get bad, not the newer stuff.

To be frank(and I don't mean to offend you), I am not sure you were listening as you're mind seems pretty made up.

That's fine, and I envy you your young hands. My hands and wrists still take a beating many hours a week from certain stages of my work and are a bit nancy I guess.:)

although, i might think that the difference is negligible and there is hype concerning the subject i believe that i have made it quite clear that if a person can tell a difference and that it is important to them, then by all means base your decisions accordingly.

post #13
I honeslty just can't tell a difference in between them that makes it worth all the hype that it gets.. if other people can tell a difference then great, but i am not one of them

Last edited:
The older saws like the 076 and such are what most are reffering to when vibe levels get bad, not the newer stuff.

That's all we had when I first started with the U.S. Forest Service for falling- 075s and 076 Supers. My first project saw was an 076 Super with a 60" roller nose. I remember the days that I couldn't feel my hands...

Last edited:
the old timers saws vibrated alot more than now.......o thats right tho...they were MEN!!

White finger knows no generational bounds. Lots of old timers are deaf from not wearing proper hearing protection either, so what's your point?

Technology advances. PPE and choosing safer or more comfortable equipment is not a sign of not being a man, rather a sign of being an intelligent mature man.

:cheers:

did i say, "WOODIE, you are a skirt wearing nancy because, you whine about the way a saw vibrates?" i don't think so. Take a joke anyway... man...people get bent out of shape way too easy

my thought is, saws are a heck of alot better than they used to be. and i don't think the subject if worth whining about it....if you don't like the way that a saw runs, don't whine about it...just don't run it. easy as pie.

don't mind him,,,,, he's just being Woodie!!!!!! LOLOL He can't help it

cause you left out his beloved Johnny Reds......:kilt::kilt::rant:

White finger knows no generational bounds. Lots of old timers are deaf from not wearing proper hearing protection either, so what's your point?

Technology advances. PPE and choosing safer or more comfortable equipment is not a sign of not being a man, rather a sign of being an intelligent mature man.

:cheers:

if you reread the thread you will see that i have already covered this...:cheers:

Latest posts

Back