What is the Biggest Tree You Have Fallen?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiet87

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I love to find excuses to drop the biggest tree I come across!!!!! That in mind, what is the biggest tree You have fallen, and what saw did You use?
The biggest tree I have fallen so far was about a 36-40 inch maple, with a 260 pro and a 16 inch bar(no wedges). The wind was a good factor in the felling of this tree.

a cherry with triple leads and nearly 4' at the base with a shindaiwa 757 wearing 24" b/c

Biggest diameter: 47" x 54" Burr oak. Not a particularly tall tree, and not very concerned about felling direction except access for truck and loader.

Tallest: Mn white pine 44" x 49", about 80 feet, lightning killed, with a split spiraling down to the roots. Very concerned about felling direction, and waited a few days until the wind was right to aid in felling. Used a bottle jack to push, and sweated and prayed it wouldn't shatter along the lightning split.

After reading about bring a big maple down with a 260, I feel like a cheater for using a 395xp with a 32" bar for both of these.

Lol at the time I didn't have any other saws at my disposal. If I did it again, I would probably use my 034, but then it wouldn't be as exciting!!!!!

My biggest was a cottonwood that measured 7ft at the widest point and about 4ft at the narrowest point. That's me crawling on it in my avatar. had to cut off the upper branches first before I cut off the trunk. I was using a 395xp with a 36" bar.

......I love to find excuses to drop the biggest tree I come across!!!!!.....

I hear ya fella.

not just the biggest, but also the tightest dropzone!

anytime i can make my partner (business) nervous
is a good day. ha ha

the best was a large red gum in a tight backyard.
tree was full of bougainvillea vine, ouch!

either full day climbing for me, getting cut to shreds,

or......

tiiiimber!!!!!!

pulled it off with inches to spare!
(luckily customer was at work)

done and dusted 2 1/2 hours.

But, no bloody video camera.

doh!

simmo

IT wasn't a tree but a limb. It was the secondary trunk of a century oak. It was estimated to be 150 years old. Your not supposed to touch them without permission from the state. The main trunk and the secondary trunk were both about 5 feet in diameter. I had to cut off the secondary trunk because it was going to split.

I used a rented 046 with a 25" bar. I took a few slabs of it home and ended up selling them at a garage sale for $75 each. The end grain was so tight and dense you couldn't get an axe in it. The axe barely left a mark.

The biggest tree I have ever felled was a 42" dia. red elm tree, it was 213 years old. I used a poulan wild thing with a 20in. bar

Last edited:
I hear ya fella.

not just the biggest, but also the tightest dropzone!

anytime i can make my partner (business) nervous
is a good day. ha ha

the best was a large red gum in a tight backyard.
tree was full of bougainvillea vine, ouch!

either full day climbing for me, getting cut to shreds,

or......

tiiiimber!!!!!!

pulled it off with inches to spare!
(luckily customer was at work)

done and dusted 2 1/2 hours.

But, no bloody video camera.

doh!

simmo

I can understand the thrill of a challenge, but I'm curious to know how you handle it when the felling goes wrong.
:monkey:

Biggest I've dropped was a 48'' cottonwood and a 44'' oak with a 20'' Poulan 306A. Cotton was'nt bad but the oak worked the sh1t out of the old poulan.

Biggest I ever dropped was about 12" from my buddies mom's trailer house and my 306A with a 25" bar on it and without the spike missed going through it by about 3" waist high on the tree.

Scared the crap out of me dropping that one and I think I had to refuel the 306 twice just dropping it.

They couldn't afford to pay a pro to take it down so we (me and the buddy) did what we had to do.

The farmer next door did provide a great big Farmall tractor and we got some long cable from work and got a guy to climb the tree to tie it off.

Every thing went fine and we got lots of wood out of that one.

The biggest I ever cut up was big enough the 28" bar on my 575XP would barely reach through.

I cut this 48 incher down four years ago down into a ditch and don't recall what species it was. I just pulled it out of the ditch with a backhoe last week to turn it into firewood.
attachment.php

53" dead sycamore. Stihl 076 super, 42" bar. Running a little rich in the begining, tuned a little bit when i took a break. Check out video below.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1UAhc15UrdY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The largest I can think of was a 42"+ red oak. It had a split from lightning about 18 ft up. Scary tree couldn't figure where she wanted to land. Just had to wing it and luckily the wind was with me.

Did a Burr Oak in the middle of a land clearing once many years ago. About 90ft tall, had a 3120 Husky with a 52 or 56in bar. If I remember right, I had just enough or barley not enough bar to go all the way through. Got some awsome pics of that cuz it was foggy out. Cool effect. That tree was 40 ft tall after it was down! Also did a diseased American Elm that was a flippin' monster from hell. ****head boss pulls up to that thing at like 3pm on a friday. Hands me a 046, cuz it was the biggest saw we had. Thing was runnin' a 28-32in bar, cant remember. Anyway, he says your cutting it cuz I cant run that fast anymore! I had put 2 ropes up with a XT55 Hiranger, came down, tied one to the bucket truck, other on the Ford 9000 clam truck, notched it for what seemed like forever cuz the saw was way too small. Had to attack the back cut from both sides cuz I had less than 3 ft of bar on a tree that was every bit of 6ft, when she started going over, I threw the saw and ran like hell cuz I was worried something was going to break out of the top. Tree was on Rt 14 in Harvard IL, a 50-55mph zone, it looked like a parking lot with all the people that pulled over to watch. Neighbor comes over and asks if they can have the wood for thier boiler, boss says, 'if you want any, you have to take it all' Guy says no problem. 5-6 clam truck loads later we went home with an empty truck, after getting paid to haul it out. That guy saved my Friday night! Oh yeah, tree was probly 95+ feet tall. Wish I had pics of that one.

Latest posts

Back